Zero TDS coming out, but high TDS in storage container

  • Thread starter Thread starter CC13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 15, 2018
Messages
1,126
Reaction score
780
Location
Toronto, Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So long story short, I am getting 0 TDS to my 50-gallon water vats; all good so far

1 water vat is used only for mixing salt water and 1 is only for RO/DI water. The water that goes into the salt mixing vat will always have TDS, as from the previous mix, there will still be salt and residue left over.

My question is: Do I care if the water picks up TDS while in the water containers?
 
Deionized water will naturally increase in TDS as it is exposed to CO2 in the air, even if you keep it covered and nothing physical contaminates it. As CO2 dissolves into deionized water, it will form carbonic acid. Carbonic acid will increase the electrical conductivity of the water in the container, which will register as TDS to a TDS meter.
 
No there shouldn't be a problem unless you have a bad vat that is leaching something bad into the water.
 
No there shouldn't be a problem unless you have a bad vat that is leaching something bad into the water.
Deionized water will naturally increase in TDS as it is exposed to CO2 in the air, even if you keep it covered and nothing physical contaminates it. As CO2 dissolves into deionized water, it will form carbonic acid. Carbonic acid will increase the electrical conductivity of the water in the container, which will register as TDS to a TDS meter.

Ya that's what I thought. Thanks guys.

Water vats I am using are for water storage and holding.
 
Deionized water will naturally increase in TDS as it is exposed to CO2 in the air, even if you keep it covered and nothing physical contaminates it. As CO2 dissolves into deionized water, it will form carbonic acid. Carbonic acid will increase the electrical conductivity of the water in the container, which will register as TDS to a TDS meter.

Practical info. I had never thought about that. Is that a significant enough H+ to cause a significant decrease in stored water?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top