Zoa advice (i think mine are unhappy?)

shootingstar_reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2020
Messages
377
Reaction score
582
Location
Los Angeles (SFV)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone,

take a look at my hulk zoas. I bought them several months ago, and they were generally doing well. Then they started to slowly open up less and less - you can see in the photo they only partially opened. Since I bought them, I have bought macroalgae and a euphyllia. A month ago, I had to put my fish in quarantine for ich. At first I thought maybe they weren't getting enough light, so I put them closer to the surface, but that has not changed anything. I am unsure how to check what the problem is.
IMG_6603.jpeg


I suppose there might be two things bothering them: a tiny tiny starfish that sometimes roams on the plug, and/or vermitid snails...?

parameters:
SAL: 1.026/34
NH4: <0.02
NO3: <0.5
PO4: <0.04
ALK: 7-8
 
They don’t look that bad I have noticed my zoas like more nutrients they seem happy when they are higher. You could rent a par meter to see exactly how much light they are getting. It could be something bothering them have you tried dipping them? I would inspect while dipping they are pretty hardy dipping would be fine.
 
okay that's good to know! I wonder if that's what happened to my sympodium too '-_- I think it needed more nutrients, but that's hard to provide when the fish are in qt haha
 
okay that's good to know! I wonder if that's what happened to my sympodium too '-_- I think it needed more nutrients, but that's hard to provide when the fish are in qt haha
Ghost feed the tank with the dust off of frozen food. I drain the crap that comes out of my mysis cubes into a seperate cup from the actual mysis and feed my Zoa with it.
 
following as I am have similar setup and same problem.
I plan to dip this weekend and see what happens.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top