Zoanthids aren't opening.. and look strange with how they are closed.

Emi2852

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 14, 2019
Messages
43
Reaction score
18
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm hoping some one on here can help me determine what is going on with my Zoas. I have had these frags for about three months and have been doing fine until this past week. I have been using Fluval's salt mix, and have been dosing magnesium occasionally. Also last week I found a 1ish inch bristle worm, could he have something to do with it?

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 26C
KH: 11
Calcium: 440ppm
Phosphates: 0
Nitrate: ~1ppm
Magnesium: 1275ppm
Ammonia: 0

Tank Mates: 3 Snails, Duncan, Xenia, & Torch

IMG_5210.JPG IMG_5212.JPG
 
Nutrients too low feed more what fish do you have? Also alkalinity too high bring closer to sea levels which is 7
 
How are your nutrients that low btw, are you running a refugium?
You need some phosphates for sure don’t get caught up in keeping it at .001 just keep it under .1 and most importantly stability
 
Last edited:
Tank looks super sterile. Def want some nutrients in there for them. Especially with such high alk. I’d raise nutrients a bit and lower all. And no, the bristle worm is not likely the cause. My tank has ton, theyre detrivores.
 
Suggestion:
1.026
8.0
420 to 450
1350
Iodine. .05 ppm
Po4 .03 to .08
Nitrate not zero < 5
 
Hey, you are new here. Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I agree that the tank looks hungry for nutrients. Are you spot feeding the LPS? A little coral food (liquid or powder) might also help boost nutrients and get those zoas to open.

#reefsquad
 
Also, how high up in the tank are they mounted?
 
I don’t have a refugium, there is some phosoguard running with carbon. I guess I should pull that out. Currently I don’t have any fish, I am saving a bit to buy them. I do feed my torch and Duncan’s Mysis shrimp. The Zoas are on a rock on the sand bed the LeD light is about 18” up. There’s no shade on the Zoas from other rocks and what not.
 
Feed more, low alk to around 7 to 9 (pick one and stick with that), nitrate between 15 to 20 is ok, phosphate aim for .03 to .05. If you dose magnesium something is wrong in the water (mag doesn't drop often i dont even dose just water change), should dose only cal and alk to keep it stable
 
Could be the dreaded MELT AWAY starting....

I've been collecting zoas for 5+ yrs and sometimes there is little to no reason....but zoas will just close up and melt away.

My top reasons:
- lighting has changed. Either sched or intensity

- flow. Too high of flow can irritate and cause them to melt

- nutrients too low. If no3 is absolute "0" and has been that way for awhile... the zoas starve

- pests or diseased. Too many to list but pests include asterina stars and sea spiders

BOTTOMLINE.... you could move them into lower light or lower flow....but really theres not much you can do :(


.
 
Welcome to R2R. I would definitely pull carbon as well and look over recommended things everyone has mentioned to you but don’t change too many things at once ..
good luck
 
Be sure and test your iodine level. I had zoas that did not open and sometimes a few would partially open. Tried everything suggested in this thread. Then had a lfs private owner who also services tanks suggest adding iodine. So I added 4 drops and next morning 100% of them opened fully. The zoas spread and my polys doubled in size. I dose two drops a week to keep level at .06/.05 ppm. And test monthly.

20191105_150352.jpg 20191109_165048.jpg 20191109_165055.jpg 20191109_165110.jpg
 
Hey, I'm hoping some one on here can help me determine what is going on with my Zoas. I have had these frags for about three months and have been doing fine until this past week. I have been using Fluval's salt mix, and have been dosing magnesium occasionally. Also last week I found a 1ish inch bristle worm, could he have something to do with it?

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 26C
KH: 11
Calcium: 440ppm
Phosphates: 0
Nitrate: ~1ppm
Magnesium: 1275ppm
Ammonia: 0

Tank Mates: 3 Snails, Duncan, Xenia, & Torch

IMG_5210.JPG IMG_5212.JPG
Please keep us posted on how things are going.
 
I'd pull the carbon and phosban until you need them.... Increase nutrients a bit... If they are up too close to the light, they will not open, either... Better too low, than too high, with zoas.
 
I have started dropping a small bit of my reef rapids into the water each day, and have been feeding my coral every two days as well as having taken the PhosoGuard out of my tank, and it likes like 2 more polyps of the green zoa has been opening the past two days, the red still has 3 that aren’t opening. I’m going to keep doing this to see it things continue to progress over the next week. I measured my iodine and it came out as 0, or something so barely above that.
 
I have started dropping a small bit of my reef rapids into the water each day, and have been feeding my coral every two days as well as having taken the PhosoGuard out of my tank, and it likes like 2 more polyps of the green zoa has been opening the past two days, the red still has 3 that aren’t opening. I’m going to keep doing this to see it things continue to progress over the next week. I measured my iodine and it came out as 0, or something so barely above that.
What iodine test kit did you use? Close to zero is to low.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top