Zoas closed, high alkalinity, vitamin c from CVS to lower?

Radiant Reefs

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 1, 2019
Messages
11
Reaction score
68
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new aquarium used red sea coral pro slat with has elevated levels of alkalinity and now zoas are closed(believe this is the reason). I would lile to lower the alkalinity a little and used to do it with vitamin c when working on LFS a couple years back. Haven't quite heard this technique for a while and was wondering if anyone has experience with this, maybe any side effects
 
Never heard of using vitamin c to lower ALK.
I had same issue with high ALK using coral pro salt, but switched to Brightwells Neo (about 3 buckets in now) and find my mixed reef does better with it.
 
This question is probably better suited for the chemistry forum.

Now, I’m no chemist. I do dose vitamin C and it’s my understanding that certain buffered brands of absorbic acid can raise the alk... I’ve never heard of it as a means of lowering alk.
 
I now feel like testing this out because I've done this in the past and unless a coincidence it actually lowered my alkalinity. I have heard that ph is lowered with works almost conjunction with alkalinity, so has me wondering. Appreciate the help guys, I might take your advice and take this to the chemistry forum.
 
If you are looking for something to lower alkalinity of a reef look at seachem acid buffer.

go slow, this creates co2 by breaking up bicarbonate. So too fast ph will drop drastically for a short time period. Id start at like -.25 dkh twice a day at least 8 hours apart. this product is sodium bisulfate. The directions are on the product how much to use for x volume. Add to your sump not the display. And again very small amounts at a time:
 
I now feel like testing this out because I've done this in the past and unless a coincidence it actually lowered my alkalinity. I have heard that ph is lowered with works almost conjunction with alkalinity, so has me wondering. Appreciate the help guys, I might take your advice and take this to the chemistry forum.

That may have sounded a bit harsh before, sorry about that. Curious to see if someone with chemistry knowledge can shed some more light on this.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top