“New” member

Awesome! Any suggestions for sourcing coral locally? I got some rock from Coastal Reef and they seemed pretty legit.
Coastal reef is a pretty clean and nice shop. They are the highest priced shop in the area. Fishroom on Eastwood is also another nice shop. Once you get your tank ready for coral send me a pm. Make sure you get some Coraline algae growing, I have a ton in my tank if you need any. Make sure you treat and quarantine fish from all the stores around us. I always copper treat any new fish and quarantine for at least 45 days before they hit my display. It’s not like it used to be 5-6 years ago the quality is down and I’ve been seeing a lot of sick fish. As far as sourcing coral, same deal I would only try to source from 1 to 2 spots, definitely dip all your new coral prior to putting them in your display. Depending on the coral and source sometimes I quarantine coral also.
 
Hey all - I’m classified as a new member but created my account in 2012. Finally getting back into the hobby and was a bit disappointed my old posts were gone. I had to take down my old tank since I was moving around a lot.

I am cycling a 20g jbj aio right now and am excited to learn about all of the new stuff out there. Thank you to the community - you have already helped a returning member avoid some silly mistakes!

9B4DD17D-1FB2-4FBD-BFE1-EC830D8304D9.jpeg
Hello and welcome to the channel.
 
Coastal reef is a pretty clean and nice shop. They are the highest priced shop in the area. Fishroom on Eastwood is also another nice shop. Once you get your tank ready for coral send me a pm. Make sure you get some Coraline algae growing, I have a ton in my tank if you need any. Make sure you treat and quarantine fish from all the stores around us. I always copper treat any new fish and quarantine for at least 45 days before they hit my display. It’s not like it used to be 5-6 years ago the quality is down and I’ve been seeing a lot of sick fish. As far as sourcing coral, same deal I would only try to source from 1 to 2 spots, definitely dip all your new coral prior to putting them in your display. Depending on the coral and source sometimes I quarantine coral also.
Thanks for the heads up. We had a fish room in Raleigh when I lived there that had some good stuff back in the day. I’m planning on going slow but will definitely reach out once I’m ready for some coral.
 
Welcome

New here as well been out a while (Logged in to Reef Central then other day to find it not as active as I remember) I have been looking at this tank and the IM 10g but I couldn't find any information about the JBJ. Was curious about the return pump. 1. is it strong enough for 20g tank 2. is is fairly quiet so far? For $20 less and 10g more in size trying to determine if it's a better buy. Logic says it is and I know JBJ has been around a while.
 
Welcome

New here as well been out a while (Logged in to Reef Central then other day to find it not as active as I remember) I have been looking at this tank and the IM 10g but I couldn't find any information about the JBJ. Was curious about the return pump. 1. is it strong enough for 20g tank 2. is is fairly quiet so far? For $20 less and 10g more in size trying to determine if it's a better buy. Logic says it is and I know JBJ has been around a while.
Sorry, I missed your post. The return pump isn't completely silent but from a few feet away you can't hear it. It is strong enough IMO, but I also added a powerhead for additional flow.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top