• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

3D printed fish and invert guard for AI Nero 5

Yes but I think the fish was pulling algae off the guard which pulled it forward.

I designed the guard so I know what was intended, but somehow the fish still got killed :/
 
Yes but I think the fish was pulling algae off the guard which pulled it forward.

I designed the guard so I know what was intended, but somehow the fish still got killed :/
Where theres a fish.. theres a way... atleast that's what the saying should be lol again sorry man.
 
Hey thekinginyellow are you still selling the guards for people in Canada. I live in Edmonton and am interested in getting one.
 
Update: even with my 3D guard I lost another fish this week. It was probably my fault as I must have dislodged it from the glass while using my Tunze scraper and left a small space for my new filefish to get sucked inside. You have to make sure it is pressed tightly against the glass when doing maintenance inside the tank.
 
Sorry to hear that :(

If the head didn't pivot I could design a 100% flush to the glass version like the ones for the Vortechs. I know I still lost a fish with a guard as well, but it's an improvement in safety at least.
 
Sorry to hear that :(

If the head didn't pivot I could design a 100% flush to the glass version like the ones for the Vortechs. I know I still lost a fish with a guard as well, but it's an improvement in safety at least.

Also you may wish to make the opening on the guard for the power cord slightly smaller. ;)
 
Also you may wish to make the opening on the guard for the power cord slightly smaller. ;)

Yeah that was another design change after the first revision. I didn't want to risk damaging the cord from pinching, so it was widened and the edges beveled.
 
Yeah that was another design change after the first revision. I didn't want to risk damaging the cord from pinching, so it was widened and the edges beveled.

I just had another filefish get sucked into the back of the Nero 5. This time the guard was pressed tight against the glass and the only way it could have entered is through the opening for the power cord.
 
Sorry to hear that, I don't know what else we could possibly do to fix this flaw in the Nero design.

The opening for the wire is a little too large, aside from slow swimming fish being sucked in I am constantly removing baby snails. I understand that you want to avoid pinching the wire but perhaps you can still narrow that opening.
 
Easy fix but I've handed the design off for printing so I'm not actually producing these now.

If I get a chance to produce a batch in the future I'll narrow it somewhat.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top