600 Gallon Hawaiian Reef Addiction

Hi All,

I took a few months off due to the frustrating times this hobby sometimes brings. I am sorry to say I have lost all SPS, a few LPS, and about 50% of all my inverts. Some how, some way, copper got into my system. The only major changes that happened were, I moved the chiller outside and had to use a bag of Oceanic Salt for a water change instead of Tropic Marin. Anyways, copper has been removed via Seachem metal removing media, poly-filters and 3 major water changes. I added peppermint, cleaner, and fire shrimp and so far no losses. I am still going to wait a few more months to start adding new coral to the system. Other notes: I switched out the sand in the living room SPS tank and turned one of the frag tanks into a shallow reef.
Thought I would be short and sweet today. Attached are pictures along with the water test result sheet. I hope all is well with you and your underwater friends.

Water Test 8/1
IMG_0766_zpsd2be69b7.jpg


90 Gallon
IMG_0831_zpsd252f0a4.jpg


120 Gallon
IMG_0799_zps9ab71c49.jpg


White Tail Tang
IMG_0816_zps5e7665e2.jpg


Refugium
IMG_0823_zpsb24cb130.jpg


Seahorse
IMG_0790_zpsef940a71.jpg


IMG_0827_zpsb40959d4.jpg
 
AMAZING system!!! I know dealing with the copper had to be tough to bounce back from, but looks like you're doing a fantastic job! Did you actually lose any pieces from that? (I assume so, but didn't see you mention it)

Following!
 
AMAZING system!!! I know dealing with the copper had to be tough to bounce back from, but looks like you're doing a fantastic job! Did you actually lose any pieces from that? (I assume so, but didn't see you mention it)

Following!

Thanks! Im still getting the last bit out. I lost all SPS in about 4 hours, all shrimp died over night, and lost 5 LPS. Things are slowly getting back on track!
 
Finally! After 12 years in this hobby, I have finally purchased my favorite fish the tinkers butterfly. I am ecstatic to finally have the privilege to own theses fish. It will be interesting to see the differences in behavior in an aquarium rather then in the wild. Sizes 1.5" & 2". They are both eating out of my hand only 2 hours after being introduced into the aquarium.

1.5"
IMG_0852_zpsa67999e3.jpg


Pair
IMG_0883_zpsaaf5fd0a.jpg
 
That is so very COOL, being that I primarily have Hawaiian Livestock to my system would love to find and add a healthy Tinkers B-fly as well. Glad to see your Reeftank on the mend always a pleasure to drop in and see what's going on in there.

Cheers/Mahalo, Todd
 
That is so very COOL, being that I primarily have Hawaiian Livestock to my system would love to find and add a healthy Tinkers B-fly as well. Glad to see your Reeftank on the mend always a pleasure to drop in and see what's going on in there.

Cheers/Mahalo, Todd

Thanks! My system is still in rebuild mode but its getting close to where it was a few months back.
 
Happy Friday!

I installed an Eshopps dosing master pump and slave unit on my system yesterday. Does anyone have suggestions on what to dose? I am planning, Calcium, Magnesium, and Alkalinity Buffer. I have two pumps still available? Suggestions?

Have a great weekend.

Dosing System
IMG_0889_zps7abc5b37.jpg


Tinkers!
IMG_0898_zpsf4472dcb.jpg
 
love the new butterflies. So sorry about your losses but glad to see that didn't deter you from staying in and rebuilding :)
 
Amazing Setup.
Sorry to hear about the copper incident but looks lilke you recovered fine.
Looking forward to some updated pictures of the system.
Can you please elaborate on the inline water heater you mentioned early in the thread?
 
Impressive work! It is a pity that there is a loss, but without this hobby does not happen.
Whence came in copper?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top