A year in, and uglier than ever…help!

I honestly don't think your tank is in that bad of shape. I'm 7 months in and sort of similar to yours now. Your parameters aren't bad. I run radions also but at 50% schedule so 40% intensity. Maybe get a sand sifting starfish who has been cleaning mine well. You have a LOT of open space for him to work. It just takes time for these tanks to stabilize. I dose phytoplankton daily. Microbacter clean once a week. Carbon in the sump and a skimmer. Finally seeing coraline and sand has been slowly clearing up. I think you stay the course with maybe minor tweaks here and there. Try cutting light intensity by a third.

Why do you run a gyre on one side and ecotech on the other? If I'm seeing right, maybe your flow is not consistent and balanced?
Good to know, sounds like cutting the light intensity is a popular thing. I haven’t seen any coralline algae yet. I run it like that because most of the gear in my setup is used, and that’s what I was able to find. It’s not constant, it changes throughout the day, but it definitely keeps things moving.
 
Thanks for the quick reply! For lack of a microscope I have not confirmed the species. I suspect I’ll have to do that as a next step.

In the photo, I had just spent 1.5 hours scrubbing rocks with a toothbrush, and stirring & siphoning sand (left side). Lost about a handful of sand in the process. Right side is 2 weeks growth from the last time I deep cleaned.

Lights are (2) gen 3 Radion Pros running the “soft coral & lps” schedule from eco tech at about 64% intensity.
Does it make
Nothing crazy since I just have softies and a couple LPS at the moment, but it's decent. MP40 on one side and a gyre on the other. The algae (?) seems to grow equally well on the rock right in front of the gyre (high flow) as it does on rocks in less flow.
Dinos. Are nitrate and phosphate low?
 
Pic is a little dark and distant to really tell. Description suggest dino but want to confirm with lighter pic and a little closer.
 
I have been battling what I think are datoms as well. I stopped using tap water and use ro/di bottled water (eventually I'll buy a unit), and started using a skimmer. Well I think I was over skimming because I ended up with something worse the red/brown algae which, I assume is dinos'. After doing some research it seemed I may be over cleaning the water and stripping out all of the beneficial critters, algae, etc... that helps prevent the blooms. I increased the water flow, pulled the skimmer, and started dosing with bacteria to get their numbers up again. Low and behold about a week later and it appears that the diatoms are thinning out, and I hope soon that the red/brown stuff will start dying off as well. I am getting some copepods to add in too as they seem to help control a lot of other problems and they will help feed the corals and fish naturally. The other thing I have done is not stick my hands in the tank or very little to feed reef roids and that seems to have helped a lot also. It is a very new tank and is only 13.5 gallons so it does not take much for changes good or bad to happen. On the plus side other than some little bambam zoas that are on the substrate and are in close proximity to the red stuff and don't like to stay open very much, all of the other corals and critters seem to be very healthy.
 
Good to know, sounds like cutting the light intensity is a popular thing. I haven’t seen any coralline algae yet. I run it like that because most of the gear in my setup is used, and that’s what I was able to find. It’s not constant, it changes throughout the day, but it definitely keeps things moving.
Of course each tank is different but I know I always viewed light as not how much intensity you can get away with but how little you can get away with and still have corals and microfauna thrive. This will help slow down the algae. As far as dosing nitrate and phosphate I had to double dose for several weeks before I started seeing some measurable numbers. Now I maintain them with feeding 3x per day, coral food every other day and water change weekly to replenish all the other stuff the tank needs. I have also really focused more on a natural approach trying not to use chemical media in the sump just a bag of carbon and a skimmer. I have a refugium with rock rubble but no chaeto yet as it does not appear necessary yet to help balance my tank. Give it time, once the balance stability sets in you will notice how everything just improves in your tank.
 
Well I got my hands on a microscope and managed to get some half decent photos..posted for an ID in a separate thread as well, but wanted to update here just in case. Looks like Coolia to me, since the cells are so spherical, but not sure. I'm continuing to dose NeoNitro and NeoPhos every day so that the levels stay consistently elevated. I keep waiting for "stability" but nothing seems to be falling into place at all.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 37
Well I got my hands on a microscope and managed to get some half decent photos..posted for an ID in a separate thread as well, but wanted to update here just in case. Looks like Coolia to me, since the cells are so spherical, but not sure. I'm continuing to dose NeoNitro and NeoPhos every day so that the levels stay consistently elevated. I keep waiting for "stability" but nothing seems to be falling into place at all.
Sorry can't help with the ID but as you know nothing in this hobby happens quickly. If you make adjustments such as dosing neophos and neonitro and you get good numbers you may not notice results for a month or two. I am still trying to maintain stability like you but in doing so the past 2 months have begun to see noticeable improvement in the tank specifically the sandbed clearing up and specs of coraline everywhere. Did not have this previously.
 
What kind of rock did you use and how much of it? I’m guessing Dino’s as well
 
What kind of rock did you use and how much of it? I’m guessing Dino’s as
What kind of rock did you use and how much of it? I’m guessing Dino’s as well
Used dry rock (combo of Caribsea and Real Reef), about 75 pounds which is a little less than the 1lb/gallon recommended so I put some of the marine pure biocubes in the sump to increase surface area.
 
Where are the fish?

There are many utilitarian fish that are beneficial to a reef tank such as Tangs and Gobies. Not to mention hermit crabs, snails and urchins. These all graze and eat algae's and keep those in check.
 
Where are the fish?

There are many utilitarian fish that are beneficial to a reef tank such as Tangs and Gobies. Not to mention hermit crabs, snails and urchins. These all graze and eat algae's and keep those in check.
I have a tailspot blenny, a clown pair, a cardinal, and a melanarus wrasse. Also assorted snails, a few hermits, and a tuxedo urchin. The urchin doesn’t look so hot today, if I lose him I’ll be devastated. But since this isn’t “algae”, nothing eats it. The bio load may be light at this point, but tangs are expensive and large and potentially aggressive so I’m waiting to add one if I do.
 
Well I got my hands on a microscope and managed to get some half decent photos..posted for an ID in a separate thread as well, but wanted to update here just in case. Looks like Coolia to me, since the cells are so spherical, but not sure. I'm continuing to dose NeoNitro and NeoPhos every day so that the levels stay consistently elevated. I keep waiting for "stability" but nothing seems to be falling into place at all.
Yes, looks like Coolia to me too. I am about to publish an article on dino treatments, so here is a sneak preview of two relevant sections:

Section 3: Treatment protocols common to ALL dinoflagellate species

  • Ensure that the tank always has measurable residual amounts of nitrate and phosphate. Any nitrate test kit will do, but you need Hanna ULR for phosphate. Target roughly 10/.1. If you are 0 on phosphates, be prepared to dose harder than you can imagine. I dosed 2 liters of DIY before I could keep a residual reading. It binds to your rock and sand. Stock up on Hanna reagents!
  • It is important to FIRST dose up PO4 to a stable level. Adding nitrate to a depleted tank will hammer your PO4 and stress/kill a lot of coral.
  • Dose a nitrate and/or phosphate solution as necessary. Test almost daily -- at least initially -- if you are deficient.
  • If your dinos are presently based in the sand, it is recommended that you dose silicates to restore competitive diatom populations. SpongeExcel is the most common source used.
  • Avoid water changes unless it is an emergency. Dinos do seem to deplete certain traces. For me it was potassium, iron and Iodine. You will get a mini bloom with a water change. Also, it removes nutrients.
  • Stop any amino acid dosing. Same goes for particulate coral foods. The dino mucus webs just grab it all anyway as their food source. Phyto on the other hand SHOULD be okay but monitor. It is also fine to feed the fish more. Fish waste is an ideal food source for competing microorganisms. Your tank needs more of those. Do not rely solely on increased feedings to restore NO3 and PO4.
  • Basting off dinos is fine, but avoid "deep cleanings". We do these things to remove films and algae, but we need that population to recover. This is a common cause of relapse.
  • If you are dosing 2-part or CaRx, watch your alkalinity. My consumption collapsed during (ostreopsis) outbreaks but rebounded shortly after.
  • Higher pH is better than lower pH. I don't know the mechanics of why, but the pattern was unmistakable. I know it helps rebuild coralline. Open some windows when you can.
Yes, dinos can exist in a high nutrient system if the competition is somehow killed off -- most commonly when dosing chemicals to combat cyanobacteria. But 90% (anecdotally) of the time, a dino outbreak follows a period of competitor starvation or removal, so restoring nutrients is job 1 for restoring competition.

Section 4: Treatment protocol for Ostreopsis, Prorocentrum, Small Cell Amphidinium & Coolia (The Swimmers!)

Tool #1:
A properly sized, placed and paced UV install FOR FIGHTING DINOS looks like this:
  • Ignore manufacturers recommended specs for sizing and flow! Their numbers are designed to sterilise/kill soft little parasites, bacteria and water borne algae. Those numbers are not designed to eliminate hard shelled protists sporting body armor.
  • 1 watt per 3 gallons of tank volume
  • Flow should turn over the tank 1-3 times per hour. The bigger the unit relative to tank size, the faster you can go and vice versa. As long as the bulb stays cool enough, you are not running too slow IMO.
  • This should be plumbed directly from the display tank and returning back into the display. I used some PVC so that I could just slap it on the side of the tank, plug it in and go. Here is what that looks like. I know you are thinking it is ugly and unnecessary but it is effective, temporary and easy to add/delete.
  • Ensure that the darn thing is running properly. The ballast is good and the bulb is less than 12 months old and hasn't been overheated.
  • Baste as frequently as you can so that the dinos pass through the UV.
  • To varying degrees, these species go swimming at night. Ostreopsis are the most adventurous of the four and I never needed to do a blackout to get them under control. The other three may require a blackout to get them moving into the water column. Try a two day blackout first to see if that is enough. Wrap the tank in cardboard or black trash bags. Turn off the fuge light if you have one going.
  • Blacking out the tank without a proper UV in place is very unlikely to help. Yes, dinos are photosynthetic, but so is the needed competition. When the lights come back up you are back where you started.
Tool #2: The Poor Man/Woman's UV
If a UV isn't in the budget, or is stuck on a boat in Long Beach, or you just want to go after these guys a little harder, you can affix sheets of filter floss to the sides of the tank like this. Ostreopsis really prefer this surface when placed in a high flow/light area. Wherever your dinos seem to be hanging about is the right place to affix the floss. I used suction cups, zip ties to fasten the floss. Repeated basting of infested surfaces is encouraged. Rinse the floss each evening (before the lights go down) in fresh water and replace. It is oddly satisfying.

Tool #3: Removing toxins
All four of these have some level of toxin, with Ostreopsis and Proro having pretty high levels. It is a good idea to run carbon and refresh it more frequently than usual. PSA: IF ANYONE IN THE HOUSEHOLD HAS RESPIRATORY ISSUES LIKE ASTHMA, take some added caution. You want to shut off the skimmer to avoid aerosolizing and improve ventilation. Personally, I ate, drank, smoked and bathed in ostreos without any issue, but there have been reports of respiratory distress in the presence of ostreopsis.

Tool #4 Filtering
Our common dinos are rather small measuring 5-40 microns. The mucus can be trapped and contain many/most of the dinos as long as they choose to remain in the mucus. But as you will see on the microscope slide, they roam fairly freely from the mucus. Perhaps a 5 micron sock could be deployed to trap dinos once syphoned out. I don't have much conviction on efficacy, but if you have the energy it cannot hurt.
 
@ScottB

This is EXCELLENT! This can help so many people! I wish this was available to me a month ago when I’ve struggled with Dino’s. I would have fought them off much sooner.
 
@ScottB

This is EXCELLENT! This can help so many people! I wish this was available to me a month ago when I’ve struggled with Dino’s. I would have fought them off much sooner.
Thank you. Just some finishing touches left, with @taricha filling in my blanks and keeping me honest.
 
I have a tailspot blenny, a clown pair, a cardinal, and a melanarus wrasse. Also assorted snails, a few hermits, and a tuxedo urchin. The urchin doesn’t look so hot today, if I lose him I’ll be devastated. But since this isn’t “algae”, nothing eats it. The bio load may be light at this point, but tangs are expensive and large and potentially aggressive so I’m waiting to add one if I do.
You can still add more utilitarian fish. You could get some Molly's and convert them to saltwater if cost is an issue, Molly's eat algea. Try Coraline algea in a bottle if you want to accelerate that process or get some Coraline scrapings from your LFS. Coroline growth usually occurs after 8 months if it's in your tank. Goal here is to have the Coraline smother out the other algea. Try a sand sifting dragon goby, these are great to keep the sand bed clean. Try a bunch $5 frags like birds nests, montipora, poly's, favia, ect. Stock it up as these will consume nutrients. You can directly feed some corals like duncans. If you were local, I would give you lots of freebies. Go back to bi-weekly water changes of 20%. It's the best step to success. Lastly don't change many things at once, just one thing at a time. I never dosed any nitrate or phosphate products in my first year, I never dosed alk or ca either. I would use a coral food like reef chili or reef roids instead. lastly you could also look into running a refugium to consume excess nitrates. I had a lot of turf algea and slowly the coroline algea smothered it out. I used both corloline algea in the bottle and scrappings from LFS. I have a 25 gallon waterbox that is 6 months old (yes it has algea) and a 130 gallon red sea that is two years old it does have some dinos but it's not a big deal.

And I do use a 25 watt UV on my 130 gallon tank, purchased it about a month after I turned the lights on because I wanted it to look nice.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top