Algae identification ? And critters that’ll eat it !!

Ryan Rioux

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2016
Messages
596
Reaction score
127
Location
Boston ma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2CC5FE8D-B8E9-48B8-A75A-72B21C3B6927.jpeg
3097100A-A901-4A36-B197-A6BC011796DE.jpeg
C0AB0CC0-82FE-4295-A10E-0E35A9E19C85.jpeg
6A9C2FCA-729D-4EF8-B3F6-236FBC865AB7.jpeg
D7DD36FA-7979-4BA2-931E-B7F3AE8A497A.jpeg
Thinking I have a hair algae in my tank , growing pretty quickly ! My cycle finished About 3 weeks ago . I’m not positive it’s hair algae but I took some pictures for others ideas on what it is and what will eat it or take it away! Not a fan on the way the tank looks right now !!!!!
 
That's bryopsis. You'll want fluconazole for that. It's a reef safe algae treatment. Not much eats or kills it really.

You also have a bit of other funky stuff In ther on the rocks. Look for some turbo snails , I'd also do weekly water changes for a while.
Do you have or are you using a bottled bacteria?
 
That's bryopsis. You'll want fluconazole for that. It's a reef safe algae treatment. Not much eats or kills it really.

You also have a bit of other funky stuff In ther on the rocks. Look for some turbo snails , I'd also do weekly water changes for a while.
Do you have or are you using a bottled bacteria?
I did use bottled bacteria and have a bottle left , now fluconazole is used how!?
 
That's bryopsis. You'll want fluconazole for that. It's a reef safe algae treatment. Not much eats or kills it really.

You also have a bit of other funky stuff In ther on the rocks. Look for some turbo snails , I'd also do weekly water changes for a while.
Do you have or are you using a bottled bacteria?
That's bryopsis. You'll want fluconazole for that. It's a reef safe algae treatment. Not much eats or kills it really.

You also have a bit of other funky stuff In ther on the rocks. Look for some turbo snails , I'd also do weekly water changes for a while.
Do you have or are you using a bottled bacteria?
What bottled bacteria if I may ask?

Two products, reef HD, I've never used it.
And this , I have used , with instructions
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/
biospira and dr Tim’s. Used both. I plan on changing some water this weekend. Could this just be a phase after the cycle ?
 
biospira and dr Tim’s. Used both. I plan on changing some water this weekend. Could this just be a phase after the cycle ?
Yes, exactly that, just built up nutints and nothing in there to use them yet. You could consider a small refugium or a hob one.
Water changes will help too.

If you have a good phosphate kit test for them.
I def know you have nitrates. Lol.
 
Did a quick read of that thread and first post is impressive is fluconazole works in 8 days! All it takes is one dose?
It depends , but yea , in a lot of them it's pretty quick.
 
Yes, exactly that, just built up nutints and nothing in there to use them yet. You could consider a small refugium or a hob one.
Water changes will help too.

If you have a good phosphate kit test for them.
I def know you have nitrates. Lol.
I definitely have nitrates lol but I did a large water change before I added my fish in there . I’m gonna do another one Saturday . I do have snails , hermits , urchin and Red Sea star in there now but they aren’t doing anything , where can I get fluconazole.
 
It depends , but yea , in a lot of them it's pretty quick.
Impressive definitely . Even if it takes a couple of times in between water changes . I’m sure some of the brown on my glass could be just after cycle diatoms correct? I’ve never had this happen to a new tank
 
Impressive definitely . Even if it takes a couple of times in between water changes . I’m sure some of the brown on my glass could be just after cycle diatoms correct? I’ve never had this happen to a new tank
Is possible it's diatoms , prob from the sand maybe , but I'd really guess it's a wonderful primordial soup from the live rock.
A few scrubs , some water changes and a look at phosphate, plus a little time and I'd bet you're ahead of the game Esp over a dry rock tank.
 
Is possible it's diatoms , prob from the sand maybe , but I'd really guess it's a wonderful primordial soup from the live rock.
A few scrubs , some water changes and a look at phosphate, plus a little time and I'd bet you're ahead of the game Esp over a dry rock tank.
Hope so . Don’t wanna deal with this forever . I’m sure the nitrates are contributing to the growth . Could you point me in the right direction where to find fluconazole!!! Thanks
 
Hope so . Don’t wanna deal with this forever . I’m sure the nitrates are contributing to the growth . Could you point me in the right direction where to find fluconazole!!! Thanks
It's in that thread. Payless pet products.
 
Your welcome!
Hello! Bringing this thread back up! So I dosed the fluconazole this past Sunday , and so far I’ve noticed bryopsis turning whiteish and lessining in the tank. My question is how do I remove it from
Rock and everything in tank. I did my water change on Sunday this way I could let the fluconazole do it’s thing
 
Hello! Bringing this thread back up! So I dosed the fluconazole this past Sunday , and so far I’ve noticed bryopsis turning whiteish and lessining in the tank. My question is how do I remove it from
Rock and everything in tank. I did my water change on Sunday this way I could let the fluconazole do it’s thing
Sit back , relax , and watch it die :D

Honestly , after day 7 90% of mine was gone. I hit the rest with a toothbrush just so I could "share the experience ". Lol.

Then blow off the rocks and change out the socks or floss.

Skimming and carbon will remove the meds.

After the 21 days do a weekly water change to pull out the extra nutrients from the dead plant.
I got a tiny bit of cyano , but it faded fast that way.
 
Sit back , relax , and watch it die :D

Honestly , after day 7 90% of mine was gone. I hit the rest with a toothbrush just so I could "share the experience ". Lol.

Then blow off the rocks and change out the socks or floss.

Skimming and carbon will remove the meds.

After the 21 days do a weekly water change to pull out the extra nutrients from the dead plant.
I got a tiny bit of cyano , but it faded fast that way.
Blow off the rocks? Also! How did u get rid of the cyano when it came ? I’m glad this stuff is dying . What’s weird is I see my clowns nibbling at it
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top