Ammonia isn’t coming down

Should I use a hang on the back filter? I feel like if I’m waiting for a qt tank to cycle I should just restart the main tank too..... maybe that’s a little over kill?
HOB is fine - it's what I use on QT - go over size is my only recommendation a size or two up.

Restart is your call. But you're going to need a QT anyway if you're starting up a system. I had my QT up for 5 months when I first started, kept it active for corals and fish until I got to my first 'rest' point, then as needed. I can see either way. I think most people on here would agree that starting with conditioned tap would lead them to a restart at some point.

I would be concerned that you spend money on restart and it turned out it was the supplier(s) all along.

If you restart since you had deaths, a sterile restart might be warranted. Boil or chemically treat the rock - not sure on sand, I've never done a sterile restart and I'm afraid it's best to get new sand but some on here might have adequate suggestions. QT the clown and probably treat with some broad based product before putting in new setup.

So if it's me just hearing this...I'm probably going to proceed with the QT since it's needed and think about the other and get some advice. The clown is fine and you have all the time in the world.
 
HOB is fine - it's what I use on QT - go over size is my only recommendation a size or two up.

Restart is your call. But you're going to need a QT anyway if you're starting up a system. I had my QT up for 5 months when I first started, kept it active for corals and fish until I got to my first 'rest' point, then as needed. I can see either way. I think most people on here would agree that starting with conditioned tap would lead them to a restart at some point.

I would be concerned that you spend money on restart and it turned out it was the supplier(s) all along.

If you restart since you had deaths, a sterile restart might be warranted. Boil or chemically treat the rock - not sure on sand, I've never done a sterile restart and I'm afraid it's best to get new sand but some on here might have adequate suggestions. QT the clown and probably treat with some broad based product before putting in new setup.

So if it's me just hearing this...I'm probably going to proceed with the QT since it's needed and think about the other and get some advice. The clown is fine and you have all the time in the world.
I’m reallllyyyy tempted to call it a loss and just restart, if I’m starting a qt tank that might take as long as the main tank I don’t mind it and at this point think it would just be best for the clown and all my fish and coral in the future
 
OH! Did you ever calibrate your salinity test? There is fluid with a known salinity that you can use to verify salinity and adjust. I wonder if your salinity is way off (because of an uncalibrated test) and somehow your clown is doing ok in it, but everything else can't stand it.
 
OH! Did you ever calibrate your salinity test? There is fluid with a known salinity that you can use to verify salinity and adjust. I wonder if your salinity is way off (because of an uncalibrated test) and somehow your clown is doing ok in it, but everything else can't stand it.
no i have the calibration fluid and calibrate it everytime
 
OH! Did you ever calibrate your salinity test? There is fluid with a known salinity that you can use to verify salinity and adjust. I wonder if your salinity is way off (because of an uncalibrated test) and somehow your clown is doing ok in it, but everything else can't stand it.
HOB is fine - it's what I use on QT - go over size is my only recommendation a size or two up.

Restart is your call. But you're going to need a QT anyway if you're starting up a system. I had my QT up for 5 months when I first started, kept it active for corals and fish until I got to my first 'rest' point, then as needed. I can see either way. I think most people on here would agree that starting with conditioned tap would lead them to a restart at some point.

I would be concerned that you spend money on restart and it turned out it was the supplier(s) all along.

If you restart since you had deaths, a sterile restart might be warranted. Boil or chemically treat the rock - not sure on sand, I've never done a sterile restart and I'm afraid it's best to get new sand but some on here might have adequate suggestions. QT the clown and probably treat with some broad based product before putting in new setup.

So if it's me just hearing this...I'm probably going to proceed with the QT since it's needed and think about the other and get some advice. The clown is fine and you have all the time in the world.
do you guys have any experience cleaning live rock? i have what i believe is live rock 2.1 that was maybe cured at the fish store because it in like a waterfall sort of setup with no fish. and it has a purple color to it from what im reading it seems like if you bleach or boil it, it will turn white. would it be better to just get new rock completely? if so i would probably go with pukani
 
maybe not seems like pukani isnt around anymore? at least on brs website
 
That's a how much risk call. Letting it all dry out thoroughly could be enough to prevent any issues. I'd start a new thread on advice on restarting tank. Mention you started with conditioned tap water and have had a few unexplained fish deaths and need advice on safest way to do that. I'm sure there are many people with that experience. Unfortunately I don't have it on restarting a tank. Fortunately, this is Reef2Reef, so someone will.
 
That's a how much risk call. Letting it all dry out thoroughly could be enough to prevent any issues. I'd start a new thread on advice on restarting tank. Mention you started with conditioned tap water and have had a few unexplained fish deaths and need advice on safest way to do that. I'm sure there are many people with that experience. Unfortunately I don't have it on restarting a tank. Fortunately, this is Reef2Reef, so someone will.
Definitely will, Thanks for your help! you’ve been really helpful! Merry Christmas thanks for taking time out of yours to reply to me :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top