Any equipment or accessories to make maintenance easier?

Oberst Hajj

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 23, 2012
Messages
978
Reaction score
853
Location
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read enough to know that there are no short cuts or easy way outs in this hobby, but what equipment or accessories make you life a little easier when it comes to maintaining and cleaning your tank?

Thanks,

Keith
 
DJ power strip is great to have so u don't have to unplug anything,Get 2.
 
Thanks for the ideas guys. I actually started looking into controllers last night a little. At this point in my knowlege base, it's hard to know what I'll really need to monitor/control or which system would be best for my needs.
 
Skip the bucket brigade for water changes and buy a nice, long hose and a pump or two to do draining and filling operations. It's not glamorous equipment, but it's probably single biggest labor-saving equipment you can add.
 
Skip the bucket brigade for water changes and buy a nice, long hose and a pump or two to do draining and filling operations. It's not glamorous equipment, but it's probably single biggest labor-saving equipment you can add.

Thanks for that mcarroll. New to this, so just so I'm clear, you are saying to buy hose long enough to pump from your tank to your water disposal location so you don't have to fill and empty buckets?
 
Yes. Or at least a pump like a maxijet 1200 and a 6-8' clear hose to pump from your tank to your empty bucket then from you bucket of new saltwater back into your tank.
 
Skip the controller. Wait till you're into this hobby for a little while. It's a great upgrade but expensive. Not really "needed" in the beginning.
My water changing pump. Hose is short since it only has to reach my sump. Makes it super easy. You may want a vacuum to clean the sand.

a3yre4es.jpg
 
Thanks for that mcarroll. New to this, so just so I'm clear, you are saying to buy hose long enough to pump from your tank to your water disposal location so you don't have to fill and empty buckets?

You've got it!

Make the hose long enough to reach from tank-->drain as well as from mixing reservoir-->tank. (In case the drain and salt mixing station aren't in roughly the same place.)

I have two 260gph pumps and a 50-foot 3/4" hose that runs all the way across my basement (when it's out). If you happen to have a drain next to the tank, this may be overkill. :)

Good luck!

-Matt
 
Last edited:
10 gallon wet dry vac. I can do a 20 gallon water change in less than 5 min. I vac 20 gallon from my sump and suck up all the detritus in there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I'm afraid my mixing station and possibly drain will be quite far from my tank. In fact, I don't know where I'll be mixing at just yet. I doubt the wife is going to want me draining into her kitchen sink, so I guess I'll have to run it down the hall to the bathroom.

All though, I could run the hose down into the basement to the utility closet. It has a drain and I might could mix my water there (no sink, but it has a drain in the floor and I could put in a faucet easy enough). Since I live in CO, mixing water in the garage is pretty much out of the question during the winter months. A covenant mixing station was actually one of my big concerns for even setting up a tank. This little thread might have just solved that. I guess a larger pump for sending the water back would be in order though.
 
10 gallon wet dry vac. I can do a 20 gallon water change in less than 5 min. I vac 20 gallon from my sump and suck up all the detritus in there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That actually sounds like a good idea too! Is the vac not to strong to suck up your substrate or any curious little fish?
 
I'm afraid my mixing station and possibly drain will be quite far from my tank. In fact, I don't know where I'll be mixing at just yet. I doubt the wife is going to want me draining into her kitchen sink, so I guess I'll have to run it down the hall to the bathroom.

All though, I could run the hose down into the basement to the utility closet. It has a drain and I might could mix my water there (no sink, but it has a drain in the floor and I could put in a faucet easy enough). Since I live in CO, mixing water in the garage is pretty much out of the question during the winter months. A covenant mixing station was actually one of my big concerns for even setting up a tank. This little thread might have just solved that. I guess a larger pump for sending the water back would be in order though.

How I do a water change is this: I connect my tank cleaning hose to the garden hose in the carport, and it does an auto siphon when I turn on the water, then I put the open end into the tank and it drains the water, when that is done I turn off the water and drain the tubing and put that away. The water drains where ever I position the garden hose, which is usually into my not-really-a-garden garden. I then wheel over my 32gallon brute trashcan which holds my mixed salt water (I only make up at most 20 gallons at a time), I put a pump with a hose attached into the can and the water goes from the bin to the tank. I do not have a fancy mixing station as 1. I only have a 90g tank to worry about, and it is a FOWLR and some inverts 2. I only just entered the hobby a few months ago. My RODI water goes into 5gallon buckets which I pour into the trash can. I do keep the trashcan inside and about 6 feet from the tank.
 
Thanks Squishie, I too will end up with a 90g tank (unless I go a little taller to make it 120g), it's just not going to be in the most convenient place for maintenance :(
 
10 gallon wet dry vac. I can do a 20 gallon water change in less than 5 min. I vac 20 gallon from my sump and suck up all the detritus in there

Not a bad plan for some scenarios especially sumps as mentioned; I've done this too. But you still wind up carrying a heavy container of water/muck to the drain...doesn't fix that. (At 8lbs per gallon, 20 gal of water is >150 lbs! I'm trying to avoid carrying a 5 gal bucket! LOL) Also, I'd advise to only get a vac you don't mind throwing away...the saltwater will make it short lived. (I.e. It will not last forever, so don't spend for a top-dollar machine for this...and get one with as much plastic/as little metal as possible.) Personally, I like the little 1-2 gallon vacs for this....never too heavy, but you might make a few trips to the drain.

Oberst, if this sounds handy for your scenario, I'd have a hose based solution for general cleanings and fillups, and the vac as a tool for sump-cleaning day only.

I'm afraid my mixing station and possibly drain will be quite far from my tank. In fact, I don't know where I'll be mixing at just yet. I doubt the wife is going to want me draining into her kitchen sink, so I guess I'll have to run it down the hall to the bathroom.

All though, I could run the hose down into the basement to the utility closet. It has a drain and I might could mix my water there (no sink, but it has a drain in the floor and I could put in a faucet easy enough). Since I live in CO, mixing water in the garage is pretty much out of the question during the winter months. A covenant mixing station was actually one of my big concerns for even setting up a tank. This little thread might have just solved that. I guess a larger pump for sending the water back would be in order though.

In many cases, draining into a bathroom toilet (as you mentioned) works well...usually low enough that a siphon will run fine and the toilet lid can be closed on the hose to hold it from falling out while you tend to the other end. Ditto for a basement drain..will work well...securing the hose may be a little trickier though. You may only need a pump for refilling.

And you're right about the larger pump if the mixing station has to be downstairs from the tank. Getting water up a flight will be prohibitively expensive in terms of the pump needed IMO.

Assuming your domicile is 11' per story and your sump rim is 2' off the ground, you're looking at a minimum head pressure of 13'. That's not counting pressure-loss from [how many?] feet of tubing or any other factors. Most pumps you'd want to consider for something like this shut off at around 8-10 feet, so you'll need a large/high-pressure (expensive) pump. Most likely something in the 1500gph range (QuietOne 9000, Mag 18, maybe even bigger) which will run you between $100 and $300. (It's only going to push - at most - a few hundred gph at this height.)

Maybe your budget can support this solution, but I'd try a bigger helping of creativity to work around needing this. If at all possible, find a place on the same level as (or even upstairs from) the tank to make your RO water and do mixing. All you really need room for is the RO reservoir, which can double as the mixing vat if needed. 18" diameter of floor space should be sufficient for the amount of water you'd want on-hand. The RO filter itself can be just about anywhere on a wall, in a cabinet...but I think it would also be ideal if it's not pushing product water upstairs either.

-Matt

P.S. If getting a 120g (48x24x24) is an option, take it. The 120's shape is superior to that of a 90 gallon (48x18x24). 18" width is very limiting - in fact 24" can be too if you like big coral colonies or big fishes. In spite of how popular 90 gallon tanks are, I never ever recommend them. The 90's added height over a plain 75 is minimal - to me it's more a bother than a benefit (YMMV, of course)...plus it costs more than a 75. If 75 won't cut it and you're willing to spend more, I would go to a 120g in a heartbeat. If you're mostly a fish guy, it could be argued that a 125g (72x18x24) might be a smarter buy. Still stuck with the 18" width, but you have two whole extra feet of length. I wouldn't say this gives you the option for big fish, but definitely more fish. And 125's tend to be more common/cheaper than 120's, FWIW.
 
P.S. If getting a 120g (48x24x24) is an option, take it. The 120's shape is superior to that of a 90 gallon (48x18x24). 18" width is very limiting - in fact 24" can be too if you like big coral colonies or big fishes. In spite of how popular 90 gallon tanks are, I never ever recommend them. The 90's added height over a plain 75 is minimal - to me it's more a bother than a benefit (YMMV, of course)...plus it costs more than a 75. If 75 won't cut it and you're willing to spend more, I would go to a 120g in a heartbeat. If you're mostly a fish guy, it could be argued that a 125g (72x18x24) might be a smarter buy. Still stuck with the 18" width, but you have two whole extra feet of length. I wouldn't say this gives you the option for big fish, but definitely more fish. And 125's tend to be more common/cheaper than 120's, FWIW.
Well thanks for rubbing it in =P
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top