Any equipment or accessories to make maintenance easier?

I think I have about $3k in my 40b and I'm pretty set for equipment. I think I have another $1500-$2k in livestock. Just for cost reference in relation to tank size. My led light was the biggest cost at about $600.
 
That a pretty big first tank. I think what others are tring to warn you of is there is a big price jump going from a 90 to 230 gal. I have a 125 and have about 7-8k invested in it and there is other stuff I would still like to upgrade or add. Some may post and say they have multipul clowns or tangs but you never hear 2-3 yrs down the road if they are stil playing nice. You can have multipuls and it might work long run or may last a couple yrs and then they start fighting. Nems never stay where you want them too. I added a sabea and it decided it was going to sit behind my big clam so you couldn't see it, so I moved the clam to a different spot.
+1 to the fish
Don't keep a whole bunch of tangs and clowns in the tank because others claim to have them doing "great" because most likely that is because the fish are still very young and haven't had time to mature and stake out their little spots. :) I also wanted to add that clowns can have absolutely nasty additudes. My pair will rip any fish to shreds that they dislike for any reason, so I don't think those two could even be with other clowns peacefully no matter the tank size. Although they're mean I can't help but love 'em though :p haha
 
+1 on fish-have a buddy that just lost a tang that was buddies with another tang for years and out of the blue started at eachother bad enough to kill one. Clowns are jerks but they are cool. I have heard success stories as well but I would say more on the negative side.

If you wanted to fill in space between anemones in order to be able to get them settled in further from eachother but still go on the anemone theme you could look into rock flowers or maxi's they are both sweet and I don't believe they move around to much once settled in-they don't host clowns though-seen them host shrimp and crabs.

As far as size of tank-you could think of it like this. Bigger is always better. So that being said you are taking on a huge project as a first tank. It is amazing how much time and $ the tank requires. But I love it!! That much. If you want my advice I would roll into a 90 or 120 and as you buy equiptment spend the $ there and prepare for your 230 by purchasing all your equiptment large enough for a 230 rating rather than a 90. Always go bigger anyways. That way you will of invested wisely for the upgrade and already have everything you need while being able to learn on a tank that might be a bit more managable for your first run. You will be happy with this decision I think most of all because you will learn what you hate on the 90 and fix it for your 230 like scaping design stocking plumbing stand hood it goes on and on. You will be greatful for the trial run in the end. And have the upgrade to look forward to while stocking your tank and having a good base tank to use to start the 230 out.

Along with the topic of the thread....MASTER your water change and ATO. 2 of the worst that don't have to be. With a bit of design and thinking you can always make it easier.
 
Last edited:
I want to warn you that the anemones will most likely move and end up other than you had expected.

+1 +1

This is somewhat less true/likely with sand anem's like LTA's, flower, etc.

I'd love to see a see a tank this size with a single purple LTA fully grown out, hosting like crazy. As a bonus, if you plan for something like this, your requirement for live rock can be substantially lower...1lb/gal or even less, which could drastically lower setup costs.


While I'm at it again...one other note on FOWLR:

Adding anems puts you on the hook for full reef lighting. If you're "going there" I almost don't see the point of considering it a FOWLR....and if that were to be the case for you too, then I really would recommend going corals vs anemones. Much greater selectionhttp://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=leather+coral, still tons of options to host clowns (and some other fish)http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=leather+coral+hosting, none of the potential risks associated with anemones (which at the end of the day, on top of everything else mentioned, are fish predators by nature).

Instead pick out a few corals - go with leathers IMO, or maybe shrooms if you want lowest maintenance. Still go slowly, be selective and get specimens you really like - remeber that any corals that go in, are likely in there permanently - especially shrooms. Once establisbed, even a tank crash won't get rid of your shrooms! ;) Any kind of toadstool (long or short tentacle, yellow), finger leather, or would make for a very dramatic display and be pretty low on the upkeep, even once your colonies were grown out. Leathers are also very easy to trim and otherwise manage compared to shrooms, zoas (which I really don't recommend), and even many stony corals.

Lots of options to think about! :-)

-Matt
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top