Any idea what this colorful thing could be?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HB AL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Yea thats what the lfs said about the colors and the reason they wanted them.
 
3 months from discovery and they seem to be a tiny bit larger, slightly bigger than a pencil eraser. There seems to be a couple small ones sprouting, they are very small when they start out. From touching them slightly i do not feel a hard skeleton underneath. Good news is they are still alive, got some pics today with my kessils at all white and all blue. Someday hopefully either on here( more trained eyes ) or the lfs can give me a 100% ID, just to know what they actually are. Thanks for looking. Best i can get with my phone, have a photographer friend coming over next week and maybe he can focus in on just one for a super closeup.
20170928_110117_001.jpg
20170928_110300_001.jpg
20170928_110608.jpg
20170928_110421_001.jpg
 
That is soooo cool. What a score, an unknown sea creature for free! Call them bounce anemones and ask $3000 each! lol

Really do look like blastos but that purple connective tissue is just bizarre...
Ya my retirement! Yea the connecting tissue is odd, they definetly only come out from it.
 
Are those little tentacles sticking out in the newer pictures you posted?
 
Good job not selling to your LFS. Not sure what it is but that's definitely a sweet score as a hitch hiker. However my guess is a blasto
 
I cant tell, im just glad they dont resemble anything ive seen and they are alive and spreading.
Very cool. Waiting patiently for someone to come up with an ID! :)
 
Following, because those things are gorgeous and I want some!
 
They are slightly bigger I will try and get a pic tomorrow, maybe even a positive ID
 
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
Was feeding fish and had the pumps off and in the process I spotted this little thing on the rock, seems like 2 or 3 green and orange, in between the lobo and the Xenia. Doesn't seem to be moving and have no coral that has that coloration. It's up high in the tank on a rock in the back. About the size of half a pencil eraser. Really stumped.

I honestly don't know but am extremely jelous and want one one, as well. LOL
 
Pic from today and a perspective of where they are located in the tank. Also the thin black film spreading around them is what they sprout from when it gets thick enough.
CM171024-112452005.jpg
CM171024-112502006.jpg
CM171024-111917003.jpg
 
So yesterday I decided to experiment a little with these things and turned the rock they are growing on towards more direct light. Just trying to see if more direct light causes a positive result as far as growth, although they are growing and spreading slowly I just want to see if more direct light causes any changes in them. Luckily the rock they are on is movable and nothing else is growing on it. If they seem to start taking off as far as growing and spreading quicker then I'm gonna keep pushing them towards more direct light.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top