Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I have a 12.5 gallon shallow tank coming in, its only 9" tall. Should be delivered in the next two weeks. The plan is to move the SPS out of my 57g into the small 12.5 gallon. Im hoping with weekly 5g water changes and a low bio load that I will be able to get SPS to grow. Im thinking that maybe I will have to split it up into two 2.5 gallon water changes a week instead of one big 5 gallon one but I'm going to do some experimenting. Im hoping the frequent water changes will remove the need to dose into the tank, as new salt will replenish nutrients, however I have a dosing pump if I need it. Regardless of what I do having SPS in anything that small is going to be super hard and I will have to use my reefkeeper to monitor the system 24/7.
I also took buddys advice and cleaned it up some last month. Ignore the random frags and rocks in the back we have a swao coming up in two weeks
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
What kind of lighting are you using? Im happy to hear your able to keep your params stable, that was my biggest fear.
I'm using a Vega. Had some struggles in the beginning with it but think I have it pretty close now. Here is my thread on it if interested
12 gallon Pico Manta Ray
My 18 has been pretty solid from a coral health standpoint with weekly changes, although I haven't been checking actual values a lot until recently. Virtually everything I have put in there just grows. I am very aware of how fragile that stability is and am trying to maintain a very rigid schedule, never missing water changes, never doing anything too big too fast.
I am beginning to slowly address alk and calcium concerns however. They have been recently running about 6.7 and 380 respectively. Corals are still growing well but I'm getting no coralline, and I would like the alk higher for its ability to buffer changes. So I added a passive kalk reactor made from a water filter a couple weeks ago and have begun dosing two part at half the recommended minimum dose. Alk is up to 7.6 and I seem to be getting better extension on the frogspawn, but more importantly I haven't caused any upsets. I'll slowly increase dosages.

