Anybody order from Gulf Live Rock recently?

Almost forgot. These are fairly true to their actual color.
20221013_191707.jpg
20221013_191633.jpg
20221013_192519.jpg
20221013_192510.jpg
 
For me, diver collected live rock is foundational in setting up a stable system that allows biodiversity to establish longevity in your ecosystem. As an operator of larger systems, with over 50 years of reefing, Gulf Live Rock has served me well. In several systems, the biodiversity on the rock is the main display. I always use overnight air freight and ship 100 lbs for less than $100. Everything after the first 100 lbs cost $0.50 per pound to ship. Consider doing a group buy with local club members.
 
I ordered 100lbs last December and had a great experience. I went with overnight shipping in water, so yes, the shipping cost was nuts. But worth it. They dove early that morning and the rocks were in my tank by noon, so there was no die off at all, and the rock was incredible. I had an instacycle, tons of life, and plentiful coraline within 2 months.

Almost a year later and my hitchhiker coral (lots of Oculina Robusta) looks fantastic, my sponges are doing great, and I still have hundreds of cool micro brittle stars. There were a LOT of bad hitchhikers- gorilla crabs, briopsis, mantis shrimp, etc., but the good FAR outweighed the bad. The crabs were kind of a pain, but I've learned to live with the mantis... after some work, he now comes out during feeding time and accepts some shrimp from me in return for leaving my inverts alone!
 
I did about 2 years ago now. Here are some pictures while in a qt tank.
 

Attachments

  • 20200611_100713.jpg
    20200611_100713.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 63
  • algae1.jpg
    algae1.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 68
  • algae2.jpg
    algae2.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 65
  • algae3.jpg
    algae3.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 61
  • blacksponge.jpg
    blacksponge.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 64
  • coral1.jpg
    coral1.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 68
  • gorg1.jpg
    gorg1.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 68
  • gorgandsponge.jpg
    gorgandsponge.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 74
  • slipperclam.jpg
    slipperclam.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 70
I got one little mantis shrimp. The urchin I got was so small, but now is a big beast in my 210g.
 
I ordered a couple of shipments from gulf liverock about a year ago. Shipped in wet paper. No real die-off that I could see. Plenty of diversity of fan worms, sponges, worms, brittle starfish, coraline, several types of macro algae and even a couple of gorgonian corals. Only negative was a mantis shrimp that I discovered about a month later. Lost two gobies before I found him. No crabs. I would not hesitate to order from them again in wet paper.
 
It made it here and everything looks and smells fine! I don't know what any of these things are so if people wanna give some ID, have at it! Only critters I've seen so far are a bunch of little starfish!

20221018_212410.jpg
20221018_212429.jpg
20221018_212503.jpg
20221018_212544.jpg
20221018_212512.jpg
20221018_212658.jpg
 
From what I think I can ID, I've got Rose Coral in Pic 1, Blushing Star Coral Pic 2, Oculina Robusta Pic 4, Micro Brittle Star in 5
 
From what I think I can ID, I've got Rose Coral in Pic 1, Blushing Star Coral Pic 2, Oculina Robusta Pic 4, Micro Brittle Star in 5
Not sure about the coral ID's, but 3 looks like Gracilaria tikvahiae (similar-looking Gracilaria parvispora is from Hawaii) and 4 might also be a dying sponge (try to feel if it's squishy). You've also got a substantial amount of Halimeda. Great looking rock!
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookgracilariatikva.htm (see image 2)
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookgreenalgae.htm
 
Looking great. I love all the life that comes on it. You will be surprised in the coming months what develops.
 
I ordered my live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. The people at @LiverockRocks have amazing customer service! Here’s my current tank with their base and premium nano rocks.

8B6F5D98-0AD2-41C8-977A-316B7365CC61.jpeg


Edit: I should mention that I purchased their live sand package, too.
Best company around! I live in Tampa! Was able to do local pickup for cheap!! Rocks were filled with so much diversity. Check them out
 
Best company around! I live in Tampa! Was able to do local pickup for cheap!! Rocks were filled with so much diversity. Check them out
I am so jealous that you were able to do local pickup. That would be the dream. Heck, I’d pay a fee just to dive with them to truly purchase WYSIWYG lol.
 
Omg I would do pay to dive with them as well!!! Would be such an experience! But yes I messaged them privately as I only have a 20gallong Long since I just started the hobby and didn't want to go huge and everything die and me leave the hobby so I said can I just pick up a few pds of LR because on website smallest order is 200$ plus tax well they said yes and did a local meet up for only 50$ of LR!!! I was so excited and happy this company is amazing and awesome!! @LiverockRocks
 
It made it here and everything looks and smells fine! I don't know what any of these things are so if people wanna give some ID, have at it! Only critters I've seen so far are a bunch of little starfish!

20221018_212410.jpg
20221018_212429.jpg
20221018_212503.jpg
20221018_212544.jpg
20221018_212512.jpg
20221018_212658.jpg
bumping this thread to check
It made it here and everything looks and smells fine! I don't know what any of these things are so if people wanna give some ID, have at it! Only critters I've seen so far are a bunch of little starfish!

20221018_212410.jpg
20221018_212429.jpg
20221018_212503.jpg
20221018_212544.jpg
20221018_212512.jpg
20221018_212658.jpg
what size display is that 17 lb package in?
 
bumping this thread to check

what size display is that 17 lb package in?
The tank is the IM Fusion 15. Display volume is about 11 gallons. 11x15x15
 
The tank is the IM Fusion 15. Display volume is about 11 gallons. 11x15x15
thank you

i just wanted to get an idea of the size of the pieces you received.

i lost just about everything on my cerameco structure in my 75 to RTN. I salvaged what i could and fragged about 6 good pieces, but pulled the rock and want to go with some nice REAL LR. all my rock on my new tank started as dry rock (never again).
I was thinking of TBS or GLR. may just start with a 20lb package of their primo stuff and see how it does.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top