Anybody use Hydros and Tunze pumps

  • Thread starter Thread starter fragit
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I had 4 bad cables from premium. Ordered 4 more from brs. 3 of them worked. Brs is sending me a replacement now.

Coralvue support is trash so before throwing in the towel. What are your settings for flow pattern. Nutrient transport is all or nothing. Ocean swell seems similar. Gyre seems to work nicely with ramp up and down then the other side up and down. Sine they meet in the middle.

4 tunze stream 3
 
I had 4 bad cables from premium. Ordered 4 more from brs. 3 of them worked. Brs is sending me a replacement now.

Coralvue support is trash so before throwing in the towel. What are your settings for flow pattern. Nutrient transport is all or nothing. Ocean swell seems similar. Gyre seems to work nicely with ramp up and down then the other side up and down. Sine they meet in the middle.

4 tunze stream 3
I use nutrient transport but my max on it is 70% and the minimum I have set to 1. I am using 2 MP10's controlled by a WEv2. I don't see an issue with it on mine.
 
Last edited:
I don't think the Tunzes are worth putting on the WaveEngine. You get none of the power supply or wire cleanup benefit. You actually need more wires. The Tunze controller is better at dialing in a wave then Hydros. And I'd have to agree it's hard to tell any difference between most of the different modes on the WE. Tunze has been in limbo waiting for chips to build their new controller. I'd bet it will be a much better fit for controlling multiple streams or turbelles.
 
I had 4 bad cables from premium. Ordered 4 more from brs. 3 of them worked. Brs is sending me a replacement now.

Coralvue support is trash so before throwing in the towel. What are your settings for flow pattern. Nutrient transport is all or nothing. Ocean swell seems similar. Gyre seems to work nicely with ramp up and down then the other side up and down. Sine they meet in the middle.

4 tunze stream 3
I have three 6090s on square wave pulsing on and off. Gyre mode does the same thing as far as I can tell. I have them staggered to mix up the flow. The same can be achieved on the controller that came with your Tunze. It is nice being able to turn them all off at once though.
 
I have three 6090s on square wave pulsing on and off. Gyre mode does the same thing as far as I can tell. I have them staggered to mix up the flow. The same can be achieved on the controller that came with your Tunze. It is nice being able to turn them all off at once though.
How often does your square go on and off? Time frame I guess for it. Under schedules?
 
How often does your square go on and off? Time frame I guess for it. Under schedules?
I set a schedule for each pump. Speed range is 0-100, cycle duration is different for each one. But anywhere from 4-10sec pulse.

I actually took my own advice though and took them off the WaveEngine today. For my tank at least, the flow potential is much better with the Tunze controllers.
 
I set a schedule for each pump. Speed range is 0-100, cycle duration is different for each one. But anywhere from 4-10sec pulse.

I actually took my own advice though and took them off the WaveEngine today. For my tank at least, the flow potential is much better with the Tunze controllers.
Debating the same thing honestly. I just got all 4 working and the other one I like is the sine wave as it’s 8 seconds on. 4 ramp 4 down. The other pumps does the same simultaneously. Slightly different from the tunze control.
 
Debating the same thing honestly. I just got all 4 working and the other one I like is the sine wave as it’s 8 seconds on. 4 ramp 4 down. The other pumps does the same simultaneously. Slightly different from the tunze control.
For me to get a wave, I need a more rapid pulse than can be achieved in Hydros. As far as I can tell, you can not go below 2.5s pulse. Not sure what kind of flow you're trying to achieve, but I would play around with the auto adjust on the Tunze controllers. With four stream 3s, you've got a lot of standing wave potential. If you find a pulse timing and power that works well, you may be able to take note and replicate it on Hydros.
 
Here are my schedules for my WEv2 and my flow pumps which are 2 MP10's. The first one is called Morining flow and runs from 6am till 10am. I use the LPS pattern type for this. I have the max flow set to 70%. The depends on is set to 42g feed mode and dependency mode is off if on. So if the feed mode output is on this schedule is off.


E9E0C6D0-4F37-4CCA-8265-B2979A7152B9.png

45292FCC-65D4-4525-A1A3-9CA3FA666EF6.png


The next schedule is called Noon Flow and runs from 10am till 2pm. It is the nutrient export flow pattern. It is set from 1% to 70% pump speed. It has the same dependency mode as morning flow and will also be off if the 42g feed mode output is on.

56505D93-1673-426A-B7F5-5855C7E03C85.png

9C5D6022-AB80-4EBD-A797-CFFFAB3166A6.png


The next schedule is afternoon flow. It runs from 2pm to 6pm. This one uses the SPS flow pattern. Max speed is set to 70% on this and it also has the same depends on settings as the previous two schedules.

479783EC-8097-4236-9330-B2ECA132E2F0.png

870CC3EA-A4A8-42A0-A005-A494D673F10C.png


The next one is evening flow. It runs from 6pm till 10pm. It uses the LPS reef flow pattern. It runs from 6pm till 10pm. It has a max flow set to 50%. It also has the same depend on settings as the previous schedules.

3724BB81-F044-41E4-A4C9-0E8C4A22D5DB.png

C1C5C413-3CB8-4261-B882-4AA1C7AB12D1.png


The last time based schedule is night flow. It runs from 10pm till 6am. It is the sine wave flow pattern and the minimum speed is set to 3% and maximum speed is set to 30%. The cycle duration is set to 30 seconds. It also has tye same depends on settings as the previous schedules.

1A98276E-3D97-4116-8BCC-637164ED36F4.png

D01B5A83-7E4E-437D-83D8-436070CE234E.png


That is all my time scheduled schedules. The next two are not scheduled by time but are dependent on conditions. The first is the low power flow schedule. This one is set to run from midnight to midnight. So it will run anytime as long as the condition is met for it. It runs at a constant speed which is set to 10%. The condition for this are set in active in modes. It is set to be active only in low power mode All the other schedules are set to be inactive in this mode. So if the controller is in low power mode which will happen during a power loss the pumps will run on this schedule until power is restored. My MP10's also have backup batteries on them.

A8809520-45EB-4B21-9774-2BAABFA081DA.png

8669339B-ECFB-4363-9A9E-0F2738530E34.png


Below is the active in modes settings for the low power flow schedule.

1A1D8D8F-1CE2-4B67-AD5D-084F245396DF.png


Below is the feeder flow schedule. It runs for 30 minutes after the wifi feeder runs or if the feeder mode is entered. Is uses the constant speed pattern and is set to a 6% flow rate. The EcoTech cannot be completely shut off uising a wave engine. You would have to press the power button on the pump controller to do that. It uses the depend on settings but this one has the dependency mode set to off if off. So if 42g feed mode is off it is off otherwise it is on. The 42g feeder mode is setup to turn on if another output that is triggered by the wifi feeder is on or if the controller is in feeder mode.

8A2794AA-9079-4AC7-B51F-43681A98A424.png

BCE28581-1725-4555-B97D-34D34B0F8049.png


Below is the active in modes for the feeder flow schedule. The other schedules are almost the same with the exception they are set to inactive in feeder mode also and not just low power mode like this one.

CD809124-D5E3-4C15-9BC1-2E6FD5BD0814.png


The interface with the Hydros for feed mode is the main reason for going to the WE over ReefLink. I am also not sure how much longer ReefLink will be supported if it still is. It has been almost a year since I switched to the WEv2.
 
Here are my schedules for my WEv2 and my flow pumps which are 2 MP10's. The first one is called Morining flow and runs from 6am till 10am. I use the LPS pattern type for this. I have the max flow set to 70%. The depends on is set to 42g feed mode and dependency mode is off if on. So if the feed mode output is on this schedule is off.


E9E0C6D0-4F37-4CCA-8265-B2979A7152B9.png

45292FCC-65D4-4525-A1A3-9CA3FA666EF6.png


The next schedule is called Noon Flow and runs from 10am till 2pm. It is the nutrient export flow pattern. It is set from 1% to 70% pump speed. It has the same dependency mode as morning flow and will also be off if the 42g feed mode output is on.

56505D93-1673-426A-B7F5-5855C7E03C85.png

9C5D6022-AB80-4EBD-A797-CFFFAB3166A6.png


The next schedule is afternoon flow. It runs from 2pm to 6pm. This one uses the SPS flow pattern. Max speed is set to 70% on this and it also has the same depends on settings as the previous two schedules.

479783EC-8097-4236-9330-B2ECA132E2F0.png

870CC3EA-A4A8-42A0-A005-A494D673F10C.png


The next one is evening flow. It runs from 6pm till 10pm. It uses the LPS reef flow pattern. It runs from 6pm till 10pm. It has a max flow set to 50%. It also has the same depend on settings as the previous schedules.

3724BB81-F044-41E4-A4C9-0E8C4A22D5DB.png

C1C5C413-3CB8-4261-B882-4AA1C7AB12D1.png


The last time based schedule is night flow. It runs from 10pm till 6am. It is the sine wave flow pattern and the minimum speed is set to 3% and maximum speed is set to 30%. The cycle duration is set to 30 seconds. It also has tye same depends on settings as the previous schedules.

1A98276E-3D97-4116-8BCC-637164ED36F4.png

D01B5A83-7E4E-437D-83D8-436070CE234E.png


That is all my time scheduled schedules. The next two are not scheduled by time but are dependent on conditions. The first is the low power flow schedule. This one is set to run from midnight to midnight. So it will run anytime as long as the condition is met for it. It runs at a constant speed which is set to 10%. The condition for this are set in active in modes. It is set to be active only in low power mode All the other schedules are set to be inactive in this mode. So if the controller is in low power mode which will happen during a power loss the pumps will run on this schedule until power is restored. My MP10's also have backup batteries on them.

A8809520-45EB-4B21-9774-2BAABFA081DA.png

8669339B-ECFB-4363-9A9E-0F2738530E34.png


Below is the active in modes settings for the low power flow schedule.

1A1D8D8F-1CE2-4B67-AD5D-084F245396DF.png


Below is the feeder flow schedule. It runs for 30 minutes after the wifi feeder runs or if the feeder mode is entered. Is uses the constant speed pattern and is set to a 6% flow rate. The EcoTech cannot be completely shut off uising a wave engine. You would have to press the power button on the pump controller to do that. It uses the depend on settings but this one has the dependency mode set to off if off. So if 42g feed mode is off it is off otherwise it is on. The 42g feeder mode is setup to turn on if another output that is triggered by the wifi feeder is on or if the controller is in feeder mode.

8A2794AA-9079-4AC7-B51F-43681A98A424.png

BCE28581-1725-4555-B97D-34D34B0F8049.png


Below is the active in modes for the feeder flow schedule. The other schedules are almost the same with the exception they are set to inactive in feeder mode also and not just low power mode like this one.

CD809124-D5E3-4C15-9BC1-2E6FD5BD0814.png


The interface with the Hydros for feed mode is the main reason for going to the WE over ReefLink. I am also not sure how much longer ReefLink will be supported if it still is. It has been almost a year since I switched to the WEv2.
We have a similar schedule.
1671572039566.png
 
Just added my Tunze 6040s to Hydros and then decided to remove them. Tunze does not let the 0-10v run the pumps below 30%. Waiting on the Tunze cable so I can run them in inverse mode.
 
Just added my Tunze 6040s to Hydros and then decided to remove them. Tunze does not let the 0-10v run the pumps below 30%. Waiting on the Tunze cable so I can run them in inverse mode.
With 4 pumps the tunze inverse didn’t work for me. Tried the apex, 7097, and now the wave engine. Now that I have it where I want it, pretty happy. Before I got it where I wanted though, was ready to send back to brs lol.
 
Just added my Tunze 6040s to Hydros and then decided to remove them. Tunze does not let the 0-10v run the pumps below 30%. Waiting on the Tunze cable so I can run them in inverse mode.
Mine are at 20% on the 10v. Granted I hate Coralvue still this has helped me. Wanted to bail from apex to Coralvue but honestly 10 cords later for 4 good ones, not really into the whole idea of them or their full line. WE works for the current task but that’s it for their line up.
 
Mine are at 20% on the 10v. Granted I hate Coralvue still this has helped me. Wanted to bail from apex to Coralvue but honestly 10 cords later for 4 good ones, not really into the whole idea of them or their full line. WE works for the current task but that’s it for their line up.
Some Tunze pumps also have a 6.5v limit so 65% would be the max limit on them. I have 9 Hydros controllers including a WEv2 and I have had no issues with any of mine. Of coarse I already had all the water level sensors and leak detectors from my previous controller so I had to add the correct GX12 connectors to the existing cables. I also made my own cables from drive port to my dosing pumps.
 
Mine are at 20% on the 10v. Granted I hate Coralvue still this has helped me. Wanted to bail from apex to Coralvue but honestly 10 cords later for 4 good ones, not really into the whole idea of them or their full line. WE works for the current task but that’s it for their line up.

Couldn’t disagree with you more. LOL I have multiple collectives on multiple tanks and it’s been nothing but fantastic. Just stinks that the Tunze 6040 controller limits things.
 
8 hours of troubleshooting and this thread solved my issue. I am using an X4 with 2 Tunze 6055. My wires were soldered incorrectly. Once I moved the wire from pin five to pin one of both cables, they worked perfectly. Thanks!
 
8 hours of troubleshooting and this thread solved my issue. I am using an X4 with 2 Tunze 6055. My wires were soldered incorrectly. Once I moved the wire from pin five to pin one of both cables, they worked perfectly. Thanks!
I removed the wave engine still lol.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top