Anyone ever haddermal palytoxin poisoning on here.

The reason I’d go get it seen a few days ago is because mrsa starts off in little infections like that. Probably not anything a topical ointment wont fix but we are dealing in bacterial groups known to include pathogens in and around reef equipment so must go to the doctor

you went already, right?
 
Seven pages, one of the greatest reef infection trainwreck threads ever made, a quick read. I've never seen a poster do so many opposites of the recommended action, culminating in me thinking he died

Not joking, I sent Jay a private message out of real concern. It's a good learning thread

All my edits there are me chewing him out for not listening to rip clean rules and trying to apply a quarter effort vs full effort, committing the worst rip clean Id seen by partial efforts and not listening to any degree, then Im going back and editing the posts nicer in case he expired and I didn't want his kids seeing a final chewing.

I am not exaggerating I thought he died after no updates. He did not, he's safe and that's one heck of a wreck thread to ponder for reef infections

I assume much like me he got constant marks for not listening on his elementary report cards.
 
I am pretty sure I had it but it’s been years since then, my son was still pretty young at the time, so probably a good 10-12 years ago.
Was moving stuff around in the tank and had a few cuts on my hand. Didn’t even cross my mind to wear gloves, etc. I had tanks for years and never an issue, until that day.
That night, early am I woke up with a 104 temp and shivering, body ache, etc. no chest congestion or cough.
My wife called my doctor and he had me admitted right away.
Several rounds of different antibiotics before they got one that actually started to work.
My doctor told my wife they were worried about me, mostly cause the first couple of antibiotics they tried were not working.
I spent a week in the hospital, it’s not anything to mess around with.
If you suspect you have it, need to go in asap!
It may be different now, but back then most hospitals and/or doctors had no clue how to treat it, may be better now.
Then never confirmed it was actually paly toxin but being that I had my hands in the tank that evening, then had to go in early am the next day, it was probably paly toxin.
They verified it was an infection of some type but I don’t think the lab had a clue on how to identify paly toxin.
Again, that was several years ago and things have come a long way since then.
 
Time to invest in some long gloves. I always wear gloves and rubber bands at the wrist but water still gets in.

how to best get rid of a large paly rock anyway? I was thinking of taking one out, leaving in a bucket of water and just pouring cement into it and trashing once dry.
 
Time to invest in some long gloves. I always wear gloves and rubber bands at the wrist but water still gets in.

how to best get rid of a large paly rock anyway? I was thinking of taking one out, leaving in a bucket of water and just pouring cement into it and trashing once dry.

agreed, I have gloves but like you mentioned, water still gets in.

you’d think that taking the rock and putting it in a bucket of freshwater with bleach would do it but never actually tried it.
 
just throw the paly rock in the trash it's not level 4 biohazard. a dirty diaper can have as many pathogens

regular garbage/in the dumpster is fine for paly ditching. a dumpster is going to have everything from aids needles to hep a, b, c, d, e etc. a paly rock will be laughed at by the other offenders
 
Seven pages, one of the greatest reef infection trainwreck threads ever made, a quick read. I've never seen a poster do so many opposites of the recommended action, culminating in me thinking he died

Not joking, I sent Jay a private message out of real concern. It's a good learning thread

All my edits there are me chewing him out for not listening to rip clean rules and trying to apply a quarter effort vs full effort, committing the worst rip clean Id seen by partial efforts and not listening to any degree, then Im going back and editing the posts nicer in case he expired and I didn't want his kids seeing a final chewing.

I am not exaggerating I thought he died after no updates. He did not, he's safe and that's one heck of a wreck thread to ponder for reef infections

I assume much like me he got constant marks for not listening on his elementary report cards.
Just read that entire thread. Yes, you could have seriously injured him. You convinced him to rip his tank apart, for what appeared to be a fish disease. You shouted louder than the few folks that pointed out disease to get another rip clean link under your belt. That’s really sad.
 
To some ot up had a patch of gha on a huge zoa rock in tank was using forceps to pull it off while in the tank. Think i may have disturbed them a bit but not much and yes these are the big uglys ones that everyone says have it. Well wasnt wearing gloves and did it at probably 1 am monday morninh i have a half amputated finger with no feeilng that i didnt realize i had a decent open cut . After done washed hands with cold soapys watet and hydro peroxided my cut

To tuesday aroun 4pm throat hurt out of noware really bad and withing a few hours body aches headaches almost to point i cant get out of bed no cough but do have a pretty hot fever and chills even when up against fireplace.


Please only comment if you have had experience
When in doubt call you primary doctor. Loads of stuff going around that will cause these symptoms.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top