Anyone ever have a fish choke to death?

Is tht a bad thing lol is 1 more aggressive than another?
I forgot about fire cichlids I thought you meant marine fire fish. Assuming they could live in the same environment, yeah I guess there would be a large aggression disparity :D
 
LRS Peels their shrimp before processing

I was feeding LRS food and there was something in it that the fish could not swallow. It became lodged in the mouth of the fish. I can't confirm if it was a piece of a shrimp or another creature. It took about 2 weeks before the fish was able to dislodge it.
 
Is it the LRS "Chunky Blend" causing these issues? Cause I only feed that to triggers, puffers, groupers, etc.
 
You have to remember that with frozen food like LRS and Rod's that there are mixed sizes so as to feed the entire tank that house both big and small fish. If you are worried about sizes mixing then you should find specific foods for smaller fish or chop the frozen food to your desired size. This is no way the fault of a food manufacturer IMO.
 
You have to remember that with frozen food like LRS and Rod's that there are mixed sizes so as to feed the entire tank that house both big and small fish. If you are worried about sizes mixing then you should find specific foods for smaller fish or chop the frozen food to your desired size. This is no way the fault of a food manufacturer IMO.

Agreed. Some of my fish have taken massive pieces of LRS to the point that portion of the food chunk of sticking out of their mouths for a few minutes. Never resulted in the fish choking to death, but I could see that happening in rare cases. Lesson like Rev says is to avoid giving too large of food to smaller fish.

Unless there is something in the food that wasn't intended to be fed to the fish. What was lodged in the mouth of my fish wasn't a big chunk of food but rather was a piece of some kind of exoskeleton, similar to that of a shrimp. Luckily after a couple weeks it was able to get it loose. Any food that was intended to be fed to the fish would have either been digested or just fallen out of the mouth of the fish after a short period of time.

I'm not bashing any vendor, just saying what happened. QC is never going to be perfect.
 
Last edited:
It is rare. Rods has HUGE shrimp chunks in it though (for us nanofish keepers lol) my inverts usually ate them when I used it. I do like that LRS has a finer nano blend.
 
My fish only choke to death when they eat my coral...:)
vader-choke.jpg
 
Watched a firefish acting weird until I saw her cough out a piece of food, thankfully.
 
My poor scooter blenny tried to eat a worm that was three times as long as he was.... RIP blenny.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top