Aquascaping GLUE and some "gluing" tips for your rocks!

Did you use an adhesive to create your aquascape?

  • YES (tell us in the thread)

    Votes: 185 46.6%
  • NO I just stacked them

    Votes: 187 47.1%
  • NO I used acrylic rods

    Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Other (tell us in the thread)

    Votes: 12 3.0%

  • Total voters
    397
Followed the BRS Video with Glue & Marco Mortar.

Definitely want to try the acrylic rod method at some point.

1626885093235.jpeg


1626885065269.jpeg

Need to get a current shot
 
I did the super glue and marco cement for mine.

I have tons of overhangs and such and it holds it all great.

The only thing is - I recommend checking the weight on occasion while building, because it can get quite heavy and hard to move quickly.

9lKEsGK.jpg
 
I tried; had all these plans for an awesome NSA. Drew out plans, bought lots of extra rock, broke it up with a chisel, got the glue and the sand ready, prepared my work station, set out the newspaper... turns out I'm allergic to cyanoacrylate and go into anaphylactic shock or whatever where I can't breathe normally for two days :-(. So now it's just stacked, with my one half-finished NSA standing tall in the corner (and freaking out the tangs; they won't go near it) as a testament to my failure.
 
I see what you’re saying… you move your rocks frequently. I plan on leaving them in place unless something demanding they be moved happens.
In your case I would put the sculpture on acrylic sheet and lift that out if need be?
How much weight does that hold? I can't commit to one aquascape more than 6 months haha its a problem.
 
How much weight does that hold? I can't commit to one aquascape more than 6 months haha its a problem.
I was able to build half my rockscape on one and used it to bring the piece into the tank then slid it off onto the glass bottom
Was more an issue of weight for us than the plexi
As long as it’s thick enough should be no issue
image.jpg
 
The super glue method works great, I used the Glue masters glue and marco sand. Proper ventilation is the key! And I pre- drilled frag holes on everything.
For a saltwater newbie about to build a scape ... what size holes and how deep?

Thanks
 
Let your imagination be your guide.
Visualize the fish you want swimming in and out of crevices and caves. Try and see corals and space for growth.
Be able to stick your hands and tools in the spaces without knocking everything over and breaking sticks.
Have fun with it, it’s YOUR art!
 
How much weight does that hold? I can't commit to one aquascape more than 6 months haha its a problem.

I was able to build half my rockscape on one and used it to bring the piece into the tank then slid it off onto the glass bottom
Was more an issue of weight for us than the plexi
As long as it’s thick enough should be no issue
image.jpg
Did you have help when placing in the aquascape? That would really make me nervous. But maybe I will try it with my frag tank. I am wanting to do some kind of permanent aquascape with it.
 
I used Glue Masters 5 CPS thin super glue and crushed dry rock to make my "mortar". Crushing the same rock you are building with really helps to hide the seams.

200gbuild-rocks-73-jpg.2035962


200gbuild-rocks-59-jpg.2035942


200gbuild-rocks-65-jpg.2035960


If I build another scape in the future, I will use some of the Marco putty to attach the foundation rock to the base rock. It takes a lot of the thin super glue and lots of crushed rock to get a solid bound with such little contact area. I have more step by step photos in my build thread.
 
Super glue with dry rock is pretty straight forward, but when I'm gluing a frag I snip the base off then glob some glue on AND TWIST IT in to position, this seems to get the glue to stick underwater to both surfaces. I kinda scrap it back and forth a lil' too I want it to be threaded to the plug and the rock before I seat it.
 
Did you have help when placing in the aquascape? That would really make me nervous. But maybe I will try it with my frag tank. I am wanting to do some kind of permanent aquascape with it.
Absolutely had help!
Plus these pieces aren’t all glued together
I assembled them on my kitchen counter (that didn’t go over to well) and glued the primary pieces only.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 60

I think this really depends on how it is done. When I glue a frag to a rock for example, it can often times lose it's grip over time if it hasn't encrusted.

However, when you do rocks and such, I used A LOT of it. On the larger scaled, the softer glue/cement will bend and go into the cracks etc. When it hardens, it creates little locks.

Similar to catching a monkey with a hole in a box with a cookie/banana. The hole is small enough that the monkey can put it's hand down in the box to grab the cookie/banana. However, when it has something in it's hand, it can no longer remove it's hand from the box. Supposedly they say the monkey never figures it out, refuses to let go of the object, and is thus caught. Could be myth, but the principle behind it is correct.

*Now I hope my stuff doesn't fall apart tomorrow after saying this* :D
 
I think this really depends on how it is done. When I glue a frag to a rock for example, it can often times lose it's grip over time if it hasn't encrusted.

However, when you do rocks and such, I used A LOT of it. On the larger scaled, the softer glue/cement will bend and go into the cracks etc. When it hardens, it creates little locks.

Similar to catching a monkey with a hole in a box with a cookie/banana. The hole is small enough that the monkey can put it's hand down in the box to grab the cookie/banana. However, when it has something in it's hand, it can no longer remove it's hand from the box. Supposedly they say the monkey never figures it out, refuses to let go of the object, and is thus caught. Could be myth, but the principle behind it is correct.

*Now I hope my stuff doesn't fall apart tomorrow after saying this* :D
After your analogy I will never look at aquascaping the same way again.
I’ve got a visual of a monkey with his hand stuck in my aquascaping and he’s under water.
Poor guy is drowning, GET HIM OUT, BREAK THE ROCK!!!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top