Aquascaping GLUE and some "gluing" tips for your rocks!

Did you use an adhesive to create your aquascape?

  • YES (tell us in the thread)

    Votes: 185 46.6%
  • NO I just stacked them

    Votes: 187 47.1%
  • NO I used acrylic rods

    Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Other (tell us in the thread)

    Votes: 12 3.0%

  • Total voters
    397
this should be MULTIPLE CHOICE question, but since not, I picked other. Used:
- acrylic rods
- reef mortar

We marked out the space we had to build, created plan to build sleeping caves as well as terraced coral spacing for maximum lighting options, then arranged, drilled, pegged, and to ensure solid yet removable structure, reef mortar (with temporary plastic barrier while reef mortar dried so rocks can be pulled apart yet fit snug)
Let’s see!
 
I used Jurassic Gel from BRS a couple of years ago and found it to be almost useless. My current build I’m using Marco rock mortar and am super happy with the results.
 
I used black sanded grout, lighting diffuser, and lava rock to make my aquascape.


IMG_20201211_225220.jpg

PXL_20210301_145725863.jpg


Is that stuff reef safe?
 
Does a two part epoxy count? That's what we used to secure our scape. Coming up on the one year anniversary in the tank and it's been moved to the new house without issue so far!
I have had a lot of trouble with 2 part epoxy putty’s not wanting to stick to glass.
 
To build my negative space aquascape, I used BRS thick superglue and I was very impressed. It's the best I've come across, as other brand's "thick" version can't compete with BRS! I also used thin superglue in some areas, mixed with crushed rock, which hides any glue "seams" between rock. Once I had a piece complete, I followed up with Marco-E-400 mortar in places that needed reinforcement. The superglue worked very well and I didn't need to reinforce, but I didn't want to take any chances down the road, so the Marco mortar provided 'piece of mind' for long term stability. I definitely recommend moving away from stacked rocks and get creative and build better with a negative aquascape!
 
I used the @Glue Masters thin CA glue with CaribSea Aragonite sand to generate the NSA structure. Also used a spray bottle with RODI water and a few teaspoons of baking soda to act as a CA accelerant. Worked great! Then followed up with emarco400 mortar.

​

 
I used the glue masters thin and rock dust method…
there are several other good videos on YouTube that I watched.
i will say this… if any rock companies are smart they should sell bags of the ”dust / sand”!!!
I’m sure they have tons of it…
that was the hardest part for me, making enough sand to use with the glue.
I used it for a 15 gal that I recently setup and I’m pretty happy with my results and will be doing a 20 gal cube in a few months using the same method.
the only problem I’m having now is there are 2 places where I wish I had 1 more shelf… I really want to add a shelf piece before I start placing all my corals, but the 2 structures have been in the tank and cycled so I’m trying to decide the best thing to try… Im wondering if I take the structure out and use the same method with the thin glue and dust will it stick the wet rock???
Has anyone else done this or have any suggestions?
I also added one fish recently and don’t want to freak him out to bad.
F487FFDF-F5B1-4C83-A620-0721A4D7B0F5.jpeg

5400F0AF-6D2F-4F72-8527-9D2A08C1AAF5.jpeg
 
I'm using the starbond thin CA and it holds VERY solid, it just doesn't do so right away. In fact, for the first few minutes it doesn't seem to hold at all. I had to do like first time reefer did in his videos and do several layers of sand and glue, and after letting it sit for awhile, the bond is super solid. I wasn't seeing the smoke like he talked about though. Maybe I haven't ground my powder up fine enough or maybe I'm using too thick a layer of powder or too much glue. Either way, it is holding very well, just takes longer.

Now if I can just get past my absolute utter lack of artistic talent lol.... I've only got a few pieces glued together because nothing I do, no pieces I put together in any way, look good to me. An artist I most certainly am not (and really I already knew that lol, I've never been any good with artistic anything, or making anything aesthetically pleasing)
 
My first attempt years ago using acrylic rods. I deliberately wanted towers so rods were ideal. Next tank will use glue/powder/marco cement method. Excuse the heater in the display. I was doing some work in the sump.
Screenshot_20210722-000735_Gallery.jpg
 
Have you experienced this first hand? If so could you share some details please. Method used, type of glue, any accelerate or bi carb. Was it user error or did it just plain not work? Thanks
I have explained somewhere in this thread. The liverock that came shipped was dusty and the cryo gel I used it just fell apart after moving it slightly. Then I used a green putty and when I went to stick it in the tank it came apart, not all pieces just where I had pulled on it. No accelerator which I need to use next go around too probably.
 
i will say this… if any rock companies are smart they should sell bags of the ”dust / sand”!!!
I’m sure they have tons of it…
that was the hardest part for me, making enough sand to use with the glue.

F487FFDF-F5B1-4C83-A620-0721A4D7B0F5.jpeg

5400F0AF-6D2F-4F72-8527-9D2A08C1AAF5.jpeg
Very cool look!

to make the rock dust I used this. It was quick and easy:
 
I used these products:

IMG_6163.JPG


with Marco rocks and using the thin glue covering a joint then covering with sand and repeating that process about 6 or 7 times while hitting it with the accelerator from time ended up creating some extremely strong bonds. Trick was to build up the joint with sand then saturate it with the glue all the way thru (u can't use to much glue) then hit it with the accelerator. You can find the glue and accelerator on Amazon.
 
Can you glue aged (over 20 years in my tank) live rock together? If you can what’s the best one to use?
 
I used cyanoacrylate glue thats water thin and oolite aragonite sand. It is so strong i cannot break it off a spoon with a hammer!

I wanted to make a tonga branch style rockwork and couldn't find any. This was the solution. Thanks to tidal gardens for showing how to.
 
We're still in the "design" process of the build so we haven't actually done it yet, but we are going to use PVC and zip ties. My tank only has a from view so the PVC will not be visible.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top