Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Can you please elaborate?Just done last 2 week
Usually when have cynao we will black out and blowoff and siphon off.
I find this affect the other livestock especially SPS.
Then I read someone said you dose nitrate so that good algae and SPS will bloom
and bad algae and bacteria will lose the battle.
So last 2 week I experience cynao bloom. I still blow off and siphon out.
But I never black out and reduce feeding.
I continue feeding as usual and dose nitrate . Now the cynao bloom greatly reduce
I hope this is not luck or co incident.
But for this round it actually work
1 ml of what concentration solution? KNO3 is a powder so 1ml doesn't reveal much, unless you are using a branded product? How often did you dose?I dose 1 ml of KNO3. My tank is AIO 50 G
Yes during that the time when cynao bloom PO4 is 106 (Hanna ULR)ppb. NO3 is 10 ppm(Salifert)
Interesting because many people get cyano from carbon dosing.I used to get cyano break outs often but haven't had a single one since I started topping off with kalk and vinegar water. For years I just used Kalk water but it didnt bring my calcium levels up high enough. Adding vinegar to the kalc powder before mixing it into RO water increases calcium, alkalinity and decreases nutrients. As soon as I started doing this my cyano disappeared and hasn't been back.
You need to be cautious when adding vinegar. I started by adding 1 cup vinegar, 1/3 cup Kalc powder and 5 gallons of water. This boosted my calcium and alkalinity but decreased nutrients in my tank to the point that my micro alge and corals started to loose color. I dialed back the vinegar to 1/3 cup and everything is great and no more cyano. If you use vinegar, you should test your alkalinity often until you dial in how much your tank needs. It's better to start with less vinegar and increase as needed.
This works for me.
Yes, vinegar is a carbon source. I would assume that any established tank that is being fed would have enough bacteria.Vinegar is carbon right? Too much will have cynao unless your bacteria is enough
1 ml of what concentration solution? KNO3 is a powder so 1ml doesn't reveal much, unless you are using a branded product? How often did you dose?
How long ago did you test NO3 and PO4 and have you tested them after dosing the nitrate for two weeks?
Thanks!
Something very different from what I learn so far.Yes, vinegar is a carbon source. I would assume that any established tank that is being fed would have enough bacteria.
I used to have epic cyano out breaks to the point that it would cover almost all of my sand, even in high flow areas. After using vinegar the cyano completely disappeared. I would assume because the nutrient levels decreased. The only concern is that if you use too much vinegar your water can be too clean and that's not good for your corals (I have an SPS dominated tank).
I had heard some say that it could cause cyano but that is not what I have experienced. I have been reef keeping for over 30 years.
Don't you get GHA?Usually when have cynao we will black out and blowoff and siphon off.
I find this affect the other livestock especially SPS.
Then I read someone said you dose nitrate so that good algae and SPS will bloom
and bad algae and bacteria will lose the battle.
So last 2 week I experience cynao bloom. I still blow off and siphon out.
But I never black out and reduce feeding.
I continue feeding as usual and dose nitrate . Now the cynao bloom greatly reduce
I hope this is not luck or co incident.
But for this round it actually work
). I've seen cyano outbreaks caused by change of light schedules for example.
But stability might help in that case too IMO.

Do you know what your no3 and po4 was at before you started adding the vinegar by any chance?Yes, vinegar is a carbon source. I would assume that any established tank that is being fed would have enough bacteria.
I used to have epic cyano out breaks to the point that it would cover almost all of my sand, even in high flow areas. After using vinegar the cyano completely disappeared. I would assume because the nutrient levels decreased. The only concern is that if you use too much vinegar your water can be too clean and that's not good for your corals (I have an SPS dominated tank).
I had heard some say that it could cause cyano but that is not what I have experienced. I have been reef keeping for over 30 years.
Oh my KNO3 is in liquid form. The concentration I need check the website of the product.
I dose every 2 days.
The PO4 and NO3 reading was when cynao was blooming.
Have not test both after dosing
Sorry, I don't.Do you know what your no3 and po4 was at before you started adding the vinegar by any chance?

