Automated Reefing: How "automated" are you?

How automated is your current saltwater reef aquarium?

  • Almost Fully Automated

    Votes: 210 26.5%
  • Somewhat Automated

    Votes: 254 32.1%
  • Very Little Automated

    Votes: 224 28.3%
  • Not Automated At All

    Votes: 103 13.0%

  • Total voters
    791
I have 2 apex using 2 dos a trident two ffm almost everything automation
Lights ran through apex
Ato and top off levels and leak detector on one ffm
Level sensor to stop dos automatic water changes on other ffm
2 part on other dos with ddr
Auto fish feeder noise maker think it’s also a fish caller lol
Waves controlled by apex
Mixing system has second apex
Return and skimmer also set up on apex
Only stand alone is my fleece roller
 
I have 2 apex using 2 dos a trident two ffm almost everything automation
Lights ran through apex
Ato and top off levels and leak detector on one ffm
Level sensor to stop dos automatic water changes on other ffm
2 part on other dos with ddr
Auto fish feeder noise maker think it’s also a fish caller lol
Waves controlled by apex
Mixing system has second apex
Return and skimmer also set up on apex
Only stand alone is my fleece roller
Please don't take this question as a negative.

Do you ever worry about running g your system with a linchpin? A single point of failure that can shut the entire system down?

That is in my opinion what occurs when people run everything through their apex. It essentially is the same thing as running everything off a single wall socket .

This is where the hydros makes sense to me. They divide the control chips ( computer) over multiple hubs.
 
Please don't take this question as a negative.

Do you ever worry about running g your system with a linchpin? A single point of failure that can shut the entire system down?

That is in my opinion what occurs when people run everything through their apex. It essentially is the same thing as running everything off a single wall socket .

This is where the hydros makes sense to me. They divide the control chips ( computer) over multiple hubs.
I've got to tell you, I replied to this thread a while ago when it was started.
I really liked my Apex and the control ability and monitor aspects when I'm out of town.
Since, I've had a couple power losses and apex did not connect to fusion. I had to manually reset it. This is not my idea of a good time. When away and not knowing if your pumps are working, lights are on or even you you are having a flood.
I think I'm going to take a hard look at hydros and compare. Maybe I can recoop some of my money if I decide to go to hydros.
 
I've got to tell you, I replied to this thread a while ago when it was started.
I really liked my Apex and the control ability and monitor aspects when I'm out of town.
Since, I've had a couple power losses and apex did not connect to fusion. I had to manually reset it. This is not my idea of a good time. When away and not knowing if your pumps are working, lights are on or even you you are having a flood.
I think I'm going to take a hard look at hydros and compare. Maybe I can recoop some of my money if I decide to go to hydros.
I myself have yet to buy into a controller for this very reason. I am an old school reefer. I started in 1988. I learned to divide up my equipment over multiple PowerBar, wall sockets and breakers. This gives backup power to the system if there is a failure of a breaker, wall socket or PowerBar. .

The apex in my opinion would bring that division back to a single failure point.

Hydros really has me planning to add it for monitoring purposes since it is a multi point system. I.e. if the main brain fails, the PowerBar themselves have the same brain in each one.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top