Beneficial Bacteria in the Water Column?

since the hobby has no written material on cycling other than dose ammonia to 2 ppm, add bottled bac for purchase, wait months until nitrite complies (this is the buyers info, recall the sellers never do any of this) the lack of clarity is understandable.
The 'hobby' has lots of written material on cycling that doesnt involve dosing ammonia to 2 ppm.

1. Many bottled bac manufacturers recommend adding fish on day 1 (not waiting weeks).
2. People that use fish to cycle their tanks without bottled bac or added ammonia have been doing it for years.

It seems like you're trying to prove as 'novel' something that has been done for decades. Its like trying to re-invent the wheel.
 


for the op- what makes you want to cycle with corals, curious about that


your question is missing core context details: if you are dry rock cycling that’s one thing, if you are using transferred live rock from another tank that can instantly use corals because that’s skip cycling.

since the hobby has no written material on cycling other than dose ammonia to 2 ppm, add bottled bac for purchase, wait months until nitrite complies (this is the buyers info, recall the sellers never do any of this) the lack of clarity is understandable.



here’s a dry start tank, with corals on day one.


see how bottle bac doesn’t allow free ammonia to remain for days (unless api is the tester)


that’s not really a cycling tank, that too was skip cycled even though it was dry rocks. Curious to see what reefcentral comes up with, they aren’t allowed to see or be influenced by our findings so responses there will be unique to experience on the site.
I would not cycle a tank with corals and I explained to my fellow reefer why I would never do so. I explained "why" as best as I could but wanted to explore the topic more completely. He is hell-bent on starting the cycling process with coral, says he has done it numerous times and maintains that not only is this totally harmless to coral but is more efficient. I'm an "old" reefer but know that things do change!
 
I say define beneficial bacteria and the role bacteria plays to mature water column especially during new tank set ups.
I just went through full system swap. Took old system and put in new tank..
Experienced a bacterial cloudy bloom in first week.
Did the exact same thing yesterday except this time I used my old system water.
I'll report back if I experience any kind of cloudy water bacterial bloom in tank 2.
I'm guessing no cloudy water bacterial bloom this time.
 
you made a good thread Schoon, I linked it to my updated cycling science thread
 
you made a good thread Schoon, I linked it to my updated cycling science thread
I'm 60 and my mother was raising Seahorses before I was born and I was in the aquatic industry for many years. I was simply trying to advise someone on how to cycle an aquarium properly and he said he was advised to use "old" water from another system and that would suffice.
My point, was that nitrifying bacteria was very sparse in the water column but I wanted to get opinions from the R2R members. I have been wrong before and some things that I "knew" 30 years ago are not so true today. I just want to make sure I am not being misleading. Can you post a link to your thread?
 
seahorses ordered from the back of a hunting magazine in 1987 were the first saltwater animals I'd ever beheld in my life lol and killed ten minutes later. you can *not* add water, horses, then salt. you just can not


my whole life has been getting back at that event :)

here's the link to review opinionated updates.

it is fun to study and log changes in cycling approaches as the years go by. what people post in forum data trends makes up for not owning good test kits for some param studies, such as free ammonia activity, that's for sure.
free ammonia patterns from online posts: nobody has posted a failed fish-in cycle I can recall. the #1 thing we're told that happens, burning fish by not waiting 30+ days, has no final outcomes we can inspect.

literally all the initiated dual clown cycles + bottle bac your choice+ dry rock added together works out long enough for velvet to wipe them out, that's way past cycling close date.
if the fish were being burned initially, some would be dying, that'd be reported.


try and find a single example of a failed fish-in cycle, its very hard to find one among a million logged tank cycles on google.


we know a little about upper limits allowed for nh3 off that pattern even in the most risky starts, for all reefs inherent, not just some. a lack of outliers is fascinating pattern study.

water bac are well adapted enough to not fail even among random variations we make in the approach.
 
Last edited:
seahorses ordered from the back of a hunting magazine in 1987 were the first saltwater animals I'd ever beheld in my life lol and killed ten minutes later. you can *not* add water, horses, then salt. you just can not


my whole life has been getting back at that event :)

here's the link to review opinionated updates.

it is fun to study and log changes in cycling approaches as the years go by. what people post in forum data trends makes up for not owning good test kits for some params, that's for sure.
I look forward to reading the thread, thanks.
 
I am specifically referring to the nitrogen cycle, nitrifying bacteria only.
Thanks. I have been trying to grow a nitrifying biofilm on a glass microscope slide and on aragonite super glued to a glass microscope slide. No luck after trying for a couple months. And yet, samples of sand from my aquarium oxidize NH3 and make NO3. So why aren’t those bacteria in the sand making their way to my microscope slides? Seems to support the notion that aquarium water may not be a reliable source for nitrifying bacteria, at least for my aquarium.
 
what about placing the preps in a running reef, they'll take on bac for sure?

the going take is that anything wet in the tank will have them by association, not long after being placed in flow.

same test: connect dry material noncycled high surface area materials canister filter inline for any reef


run one month, remove

oxidize test any ten gallon tank, it passes always. total contact transference to its filter media by association in the main tank> no bottle bac no feed needed, only water contact from a prior running reef

that gives reefcentral a chance to weigh in. that's great to have, to show how thoughts on the matter run board to board. I hope they get some good discussion going, Tim threw a sidewinder opening pitch there.
 
Last edited:
what about placing the preps in a running reef, they'll take on bac for sure?

the going take is that anything wet in the tank will have them by association, not long after being placed in flow.

same test: connect dry material noncycled high surface area materials canister filter inline for any reef


run one month, remove

oxidize test any ten gallon tank, it passes always. total contact transference to its filter media by association in the main tank> no bottle bac no feed needed, only water contact from a prior running reef

that gives reefcentral a chance to weigh in. that's great to have, to show how thoughts on the matter run board to board. I hope they get some good discussion going, Tim threw a sidewinder opening pitch there.
I just read your thread and it was very interesting! Have to go over it again. So, is Dr. Tim wrong? I have not watched his vid yet but noted the comment.
 
No one sells used water. Simple as that.

Only because it can't be done without adverse affects.

Fish only tanks are running copper or some form of meds, so those systems are off limits.

The mixed reef tanks they could take water from would have to be getting an unhealthy amount of new water added to It as people bought old water from it. Imagine doing a 30% water change on your main tank every day? That would strip the nutrients in your water column.

Why take that risk when they can say there's no benefit and just sell you new water?
 
No I'm sure he has scientific backing for his findings. My findings are simply different regarding stuck cycles and nitrite. In the end, we use his products routinely, his cycling bac is total gold it works for us on time always.

What i focus on is not having to use it twice in the same system, or at all if someone wants it that way
 
Only because it can't be done without adverse affects.

Fish only tanks are running copper or some form of meds, so those systems are off limits.

The mixed reef tanks they could take water from would have to be getting an unhealthy amount of new water added to It as people bought old water from it. Imagine doing a 30% water change on your main tank every day? That would strip the nutrients in your water column.

Why take that risk when they can say there's no benefit and just sell you new
No I'm sure he has scientific backing for his findings. My findings are simply different regarding stuck cycles and nitrite. In the end we will use his products routinely, his cycling bac is total gold it works for us on time always
Having been in the business as a Distributor, then Manufacturer Sales Rep, the only way I have started any marine system is with a good old chunk of live rock and ghost feeding, even tho the magic in a bottle was N/C to me. That was my mother's method 60 years ago:)
 
Here’s a tank being cycled in twenty days by adding only reef water. reef water 100% has cycling bacteria available for use and transfer, the old adage is wrong.

reef water has millions of transferable cells of bacteria that will certainly cycle.



We are trained to buy bacteria from a bottle by being told incorrectly that cycles stall, or cant come free of charge by simple wait times, or by using simply old tank water.


the next time a MACNA speaker talks about cycling they need to address:

-NeonRabbits findings that a free cycle happens in a mere 30 days wait, like a cycling chart says, no feed or bottle bac required and why testing cycle rules on seneye isn’t like testing on red sea or api

-how reef water carries lots of cycling bacteria in every tank

-how seneye testing allowed the masses to find their own truths completely opposite from former cycling training, pre seneye

- how nitrite does not stall any reef cycle and never has

-how no cycles have stalled, stalled cycle posts are all misreading color compare tests. Cycles complete based on a predetermined date relative to the boosters we choose to use and if no boosters are used, they still complete on a time scale already known (this reliability allows MACNA conventions to start on time with rows of ready reefs)
Inputting dead bottle bac isn’t a stall, it’s an unassisted cycle timeline that still cycles fully in a month or so

-they need to discuss how live rock transfers are complete instant skip cycles, every time, without variation (it’s how these conventions are made)

inputting live bottle bac gets you instant ammonia control such that fish-in cycles aren’t harming fish, they’re just breaking disease protocols<- I saw Jon M’s seneye posts measuring Dr Tims as a recent example

the speaker needs to discuss why sellers at marine aquarium conventions dont have to adhere to rules they give buyers out in the field, regarding timely reef tank starts vs the risks of ‘stalls’

am pouncing the establishment not the op ~ all printed material for cycling says opposite of my claims

takeaways reefcentral can benefit from: don’t make mods the regulators of findings and information, you’ll stifle your board to the point frozen molasses runs faster.
I cycled a pico in 14 days with water from my nano. Dry rock, new tank, new equipment. I never had ammonia show up. Nitrite was non existent. Nitrate has been a steady 5ppm with a weekly ghost feeding. I over-fed a week ago to test my tanks ability to consume nitrate. There was an increase from 5 ppm to 7ppm. I am not a scientist but this absolutely worked in my pico. The water going in was 1.5 gallons of 5ppm nitrate, .03 phosphate, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite. I am doing a water change Thursday with the same water from the same system and if these parameters hold, I’m calling it cycled.
 
Townes Van Camp that is neat to know, it helps establish patterns we can count on elsewhere
 
Townes Van Camp that is neat to know, it helps establish patterns we can count on elsewhere
My entire plan is to run this pico with discarded water from my nano (so long as the Nano is healthy). 100% water changes with old water

5-7 ppm nitrate
440 cal
10 alk
1340 mag.
As well as anything else that is in the Nano water.

I think the quantity of bacteria comes into play here. I highly suspect that if someone were to start a 60 gal cube with a 5 gal donation of NSW and all new equipment that things would go differently. But I was going the opposite direction. I used 100% cycled water from another system. Not just 5%.
 
My entire plan is to run this pico with discarded water from my nano (so long as the Nano is healthy). 100% water changes with old water

5-7 ppm nitrate
440 cal
10 alk
1340 mag.
As well as anything else that is in the Nano water.

I think the quantity of bacteria comes into play here. I highly suspect that if someone were to start a 60 gal cube with a 5 gal donation of NSW and all new equipment that things would go differently. But I was going the opposite direction. I used 100% cycled water from another system. Not just 5%.
Planning on dosing of trace elements? Would be interested on the results either way.
 
Planning on dosing of trace elements? Would be interested on the results either way.
I dose aminos in the Nano 2 hours before I start the water change and will be dosing eldriges Live Photo. I am currently researching which trace elements I want to dose to the same Nano.

But I don’t plan on doing anything with the pico on the dosing front. Just supplying it with quality used water and whatever comes in with that water.
My idea started with wanting to keep a tricolor valida and mind trick monti only to see what direction my nutrients go and if I could run it with only that used water and no other supplements.
 


hey check out that friends cycle approach

feed only, but zero dosing bottle bac. Dry sand. Dry rock

And long term detailed updates
hes isloated the source of filtration bac to home the tank was built in + its water supply, all that is contaminated with bacteria.


in a chat once with Dr. Tim he was telling Dr. Reef and I about natural contamination of filter bac into water, he agreed self cycling was possible and told us the contamination is likely from the water, not the air. I think for air / aerosols to transmit cycling bac it needs to be a wet humid environment, say downwind to Niagara lol


the discussion is here in case anyone wants to rabbit hole for the next three days



I appreciated him discussing the ways natural bac get in. People want to start reefs the same day as setup, we can’t wait for that so we use his bottle bac routinely. And it does work, fish are not being burned by bottled bac skip cycles at all we have several on seneye tracked threads. In that nonstandard cycle above, dry surfaces were brought to anemone carry ability by only feed and time waited.

NeonRabbits test was no feed, no bottle bac, still ready by month one and that’s amazing, a true test in my opinion.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top