Benefits of Coralline Algae?

I always like it when it would get thick and start plating. Made some interesting formations, plus helping keep hair algae down.
Not seeing that so much anymore with leds. In my tanks it was more a mh thing.
i too noticed this. In my works reef, the stuff grew crazy good under 20k halides. My "ex" boss decided to replace them with AI hydras. As soon as he put those leds over the tank, the coralline pretty much stopped. It only grows under shade. Now that i got his position, i keep thinking about getting t5's. I hate these lights.
 
i too noticed this. In my works reef, the stuff grew crazy good under 20k halides. My "ex" boss decided to replace them with AI hydras. As soon as he put those leds over the tank, the coralline pretty much stopped. It only grows under shade. Now that i got his position, i keep thinking about getting t5's. I hate these lights.
I'd look at his spectral settings.
 
Coralline does grow under LEDs. This is the power head in my 14g frag tank. It's lit by a single A160WE. The urchin eats it off everything else but it can't really get to the power head. Its covered in pink and purple on top and sides and its only about 4 months old. Tank is about 6 months old.
20171201_194130.jpg
 
I'd look at his spectral settings.
i did. He had everything on max. I turned everything down except blue and violet. I played with it for a while, and no matter what settings i used, it doesnt look good. They also had 2 out of 3 power supplies fail after a year. As far as im concerned, the hydras were a waste of 1800.00 dollars. Meanwhile, at home my ati blue plus t5s blow those leds out of the water.
 
i did. He had everything on max. I turned everything down except blue and violet. I played with it for a while, and no matter what settings i used, it doesnt look good. They also had 2 out of 3 power supplies fail after a year. As far as im concerned, the hydras were a waste of 1800.00 dollars. Meanwhile, at home my ati blue plus t5s blow those leds out of the water.
I've really been considering going to a 8 x 60" ATI fixture, and dumping my gen 4 Radions.
 
I have never in my life seen nor heard of rose coralline dang I’m jealous

If that thing was mine I’d lullaby it while bottle nursing it with a lukewarm never microwave heated magnesium and calc slurry of appreciation.


The kind of growth LED has stopped is the kind where a keeper must carve a viewing window, framed in purple, in the front pane of glass just to be able to see in.
 
I have never in my life seen nor heard of rose coralline dang I’m jealous

If that thing was mine I’d lullaby it while bottle nursing it with a lukewarm never microwave heated magnesium and calc slurry of appreciation.


The kind of growth LED has stopped is the kind where a keeper must carve a viewing window, framed in purple, in the front pane of glass just to be able to see in.
Why are Barry White songs running through my head?
 
I wonder if that ball of coralline has to tumble occasionally to light the underside it looks like reef tumbler by design
 
I have never seen anything like that and i want it.
My feelings exactly

Yea , where did you score that?
I saw it one day accidentally hidden at our LFS (PetKingdom) and was like "what the heck is that!"

Almost said the same thing when I saw it. I didn't care the price and the LFS had no price so I made up my own and offered. :) Told the guy it wasn't a coral so it cheaper :)

I have never in my life seen nor heard of rose coralline dang I’m jealous
Don't be jealous I'm growing it out, how much can you charge for it. It's not even a coral :)

If that thing was mine I’d lullaby it while bottle nursing it with a lukewarm never microwave heated magnesium and calc slurry of appreciation.
I'm doing my best husbandry I promise, but my baby bottle is a calcium reactor at 78-79 degrees

The kind of growth LED has stopped is the kind where a keeper must carve a viewing window, framed in purple, in the front pane of glass just to be able to see in.

I wonder if that ball of coralline has to tumble occasionally to light the underside it looks like reef tumbler by design
Under my rose coralline there is a frag plug :) its defintely 5x larger than the original

For the longest time, when I visit the Waikiki Aquarium in Oahu, Hawaii I've been trying to look for this coralline algae. It drove me nuts to see this everytime.
For now my little rose coralline will suffice :)

I apologize the OP for hijacking this thread but I'm absolutely love Coralline Algae

20170224_134956.jpg

20170224_135126.jpg

20170224_135122.jpg
 
My feelings exactly


I saw it one day accidentally hidden at our LFS (PetKingdom) and was like "what the heck is that!"


Almost said the same thing when I saw it. I didn't care the price and the LFS had no price so I made up my own and offered. :) Told the guy it wasn't a coral so it cheaper :)




Under my rose coralline there is a frag plug :) its defintely 5x larger than the original

For the longest time, when I visit the Waikiki Aquarium in Oahu, Hawaii I've been trying to look for this coralline algae. It drove me nuts to see this everytime.
For now my little rose coralline will suffice :)

I apologize the OP for hijacking this thread but I'm absolutely love Coralline Algae

20170224_134956.jpg

20170224_135126.jpg

20170224_135122.jpg
Those guys do get in some wild stuff from time to time. I stopped going during the rebuild , and the just had been getting in meh since then.
 
Hey that’s great post it’s just whorls and whorls I wonder if it has similar ion demands to sps, or more chill...meaning to keep the ball growing and not atrophying wonder if they maintain careful ion levels to prevent bleaching
 
My tank rocks is infested with vermetid snails. I think my coraline algae is growing on top of them and suffocating them. That may be another benefit.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top