Best wrasses for a wrasse tank

Love wrasses. An orange back is a beautiful fish, I miss mine. I haven't had the flasher suicide yet but I only have 2 and one is in QT lol! I skipped lids and opted to screen in my entire canopy. I was worried they'd either get stuck in the screen or find a small gap and land on top of the screen. I have seen fish jump, land somewhere up there, and then come back down.

To the OP: You have the option of adding several flashers, fairy's, and halichoeres with a 120. Some of the fairy's can be budget limited but the flasher's and haliochoeres can be had for pretty reasonable prices. Just be mindful of compatibility and be wary of the occasional "it worked for me" posts about particular fish. I read a few posts that a marble wrasse "could" work well with other wrasses. It nearly killed my flasher before I got it out and took it to a LFS. I didn't even want credit lol! just wanted it gone.
 
Love wrasses. An orange back is a beautiful fish, I miss mine. I haven't had the flasher suicide yet but I only have 2 and one is in QT lol! I skipped lids and opted to screen in my entire canopy. I was worried they'd either get stuck in the screen or find a small gap and land on top of the screen. I have seen fish jump, land somewhere up there, and then come back down.

To the OP: You have the option of adding several flashers, fairy's, and halichoeres with a 120. Some of the fairy's can be budget limited but the flasher's and haliochoeres can be had for pretty reasonable prices. Just be mindful of compatibility and be wary of the occasional "it worked for me" posts about particular fish. I read a few posts that a marble wrasse "could" work well with other wrasses. It nearly killed my flasher before I got it out and took it to a LFS. I didn't even want credit lol! just wanted it gone.
Is melanurus the best pick among the Halichoeres?
 
I highly recommend a solar fairy, lineatus fairy, yellow coris (halichoeres), melanarus (halichoeres), radiant (halichoeres), blue star leopard male and female (pair), ornate leopard, and perhaps a potters leopard.

Those are some of my favorites based on color and temperament and provide a good range of color/personality for you. I have kept these together several times in various wrasse tanks. @HotRocks has most of these now in his DT as well.
 
Is melanurus the best pick among the Halichoeres?
Mine was a bit of a bully. I wouldn't make it the first wrasse in and, depending on what you stock, it may or may not be the last. I love mine, and he has settled down. I'll be introducing a new flasher wrasse next week, using an acclimation box, so we'll see how he handles another new addition.
 
Mine was a bit of a bully. I wouldn't make it the first wrasse in and, depending on what you stock, it may or may not be the last. I love mine, and he has settled down. I'll be introducing a new flasher wrasse next week, using an acclimation box, so we'll see how he handles another new addition.
Mine have been model citizens, even to other halichoeres BUT they can be documented as being a bit "salty" with other fish. In fact, the larger male specimens can often be kept with larger Thalassoma genus wrasse without issue, due to their aggression capabilities at a larger size. I'd buy a small male, personally. I've had several very large Melanarus that weren't overly aggressive, but I have heard of others having trouble once they grow larger.
 
I highly recommend a solar fairy, lineatus fairy, yellow coris (halichoeres), melanarus (halichoeres), radiant (halichoeres), blue star leopard male and female (pair), ornate leopard, and perhaps a potters leopard.

Those are some of my favorites based on color and temperament and provide a good range of color/personality for you. I have kept these together several times in various wrasse tanks. @HotRocks has most of these now in his DT as well.
Great to have you comment!

I currently have a female blue star Leopard. Is it possible to add another and get one to go male and pair?
 
Great to have you comment!

I currently have a female blue star Leopard. Is it possible to add another and get one to go male and pair?
It is, but I am impatient. I generally buy a male. The larger female will eventually change, perhaps in a few months, perhaps in a year or two. :)
 
It is, but I am impatient. I generally buy a male. The larger female will eventually change, perhaps in a few months, perhaps in a year or two. :)

Sounds like a good plan. I am definitely going to use your list of wrasses as a guide. I am a very slow stocker as I try to get most of my livestock from people in my reef group, so I will have plenty of time to find the right animals. I have never seen a male blue star for sale in my area though so I might just try to go with a second female. Adding another variety of leopard sounds awesome as my blue star is already a show stopper.
 
Is melanurus the best pick among the Halichoeres?

Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a stunning fish with lots of color that doesn't exceed $35 in cost for a small one or 6 inches in size and don't mind losing the occasional snail, hermit crab or small ornamental shrimp, then yes it's hard to beat the Melanurus. It is also one of the more assertive members of the Halichoeres varieties. If you are looking for one that is a bit more docile and less likely to pick things off then a Red Lined (H.Biocellatus), Christmas (H.Claudia) or if you don't mind a bigger one and spending more money: Richmond's Wrasse (H.Richmondi).
 
It is, but I am impatient. I generally buy a male. The larger female will eventually change, perhaps in a few months, perhaps in a year or two. :)

Glad to hear about the change. I had heard that Blue Stars were capable of switching genders as they mature. I like the Juvie/Female config and am content if it stays that way, but I would really love a male blue star. Absolutely stunning.
 
Is melanurus the best pick among the Halichoeres?

H. crysus, imo. Bright yellow, peaceful, inexpensive.

Melanurus is a great one too...they are popular for a reason. Juveniles are a little drab, though.
 
Yeah, I have a juvie Melanurus in transition right now and the colors are night and day different to when I first got it and it isn't even done yet. Probably the most stunning difference is the tail. As a juvie it is clear/faint yellow as it transitions it is quickly becoming a swirl of Blue, Green and Red. It was almost brownish in color as a really young/small one (got it just over a year ago) and you really had to look at it to see the stripes. Now you can pretty clearly see the light blue, yellow/pink stripes.

 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top