Best wrasses for a wrasse tank

I have mostly given up on flashers. Too twitchy and always seemed to find their way into the carpet.

All wrasses will find the carpet without a lid with NO gaps. Be sure to put that on your list for your tank.
I have been trying to get flashers and fairies online, but I have about 20% stay alive after 2 weeks. Any suggestions with QT and treatment to keep them alive?
 
I have a Melanurus and I do love it, but if you do get one there are a couple of things to be aware of:

1) It will likely pick of snails, hermits and smaller shrimp
2) They can be very assertive towards other wrasses once established, so add them last

On another note, I do want to try the Tricolor/Lubbock's at some point as they are full of color and generally inexpensive, I have just held off for now as they can be somewhat aggressive.
 
I have a Melanurus and I do love it, but if you do get one there are a couple of things to be aware of:

1) It will likely pick of snails, hermits and smaller shrimp
2) They can be very assertive towards other wrasses once established, so add them last
Definitely agree... and so far I've had only one snail casualty (that I witnessed). I just added a mccosker a few weeks ago that is only 1/5th of the size of the melanurus... and he doesn't mind it at all.
 
Halichoeres are a must even though they will pick off the occasional smaller invert (snails, hermits and small shrimp). Be aware that Solar Wrasses can be jerks and there are other options I would go with first. Mine was fine for a week and then snapped and went after everything in the tank (including my poor Mandarinfish). A Flasher would be a great choice.

My Solon Fairy goes ballistic at times and is the only fish out of 23 that gets aggressive. He is beautiful and active, but I am trading him in next week at my LFS
 
My Solon Fairy goes ballistic at times and is the only fish out of 23 that gets aggressive. He is beautiful and active, but I am trading him in next week at my LFS

Yeah, everytime I see the websites like liveaquaria that claim that they are Peaceful and easily bullied by other fish, I shake my head in disbelief and ask "Are we talking about the same fish?" Mine was fine at first and then after a few days he started chasing my Purple back to his den and after a week he snapped and began chasing my Diamond Watchman Goby around the tank and even did a stare down and chase on my poor Green Mandarinfish (even my jerk of a Flame Angel left the Mandarin alone). It's the only time I saw the Mandarin move that quick or do a tail slap in the sand. Unfortunately I lost my vids of it in the tank, but I did find one I did of him in the LFS holding tank just before I bought it. Here the butthead is in all it's glory (and looking so innocent too):

 
I like the labout's fair wrasse. Colors are great under my lights. He does freak out if you move to fast by the tank so a lid is a must. I do like the Lubbock wrasse but I've had 3 with swim bladder issues that didn't make it so I've given up on them. I have a ruby head in QT waiting things out.
 
But none quite so motivated to do so than flashers.

Heck if I was the size of flasher wrasse in your tank I'd be trying to get out too! :D:p

They're size really does facilitate their success but I have had some fairy wrasses that work just as hard to find a way to commit suicide. LOL
 
I like the labout's fair wrasse. Colors are great under my lights. He does freak out if you move to fast by the tank so a lid is a must. I do like the Lubbock wrasse but I've had 3 with swim bladder issues that didn't make it so I've given up on them. I have a ruby head in QT waiting things out.

My wife and I were actually deciding between the Ruby Head and the Blue Star Leopard (My LFS had both in at the time). We went with the Leopard just because it appeared to be much more comfortable around people and had a bit more color. The Ruby Head was pretty but it would turn and hide if people came up to the holding tank (which apparently is common for them), the Leopard on the other hand was curious about people and wanted to be out and about. Turned out to be a wise move as now when all my other fish get spooked and hide, my Leopard is the one who generally goes on about his business and doesn't seem to mind extra people around. It's also the only one who will get close to my hand while I periodically clean my rocks with a toothbrush. He just comes by to see what this funny brush and five fingered worm type creature is. :D
 
THANK YOU!!!
For the passed few months has been “which would you own besides a 6line?” (Had 1,Killed my breeding female)

Favorite part is “if feeding is like adding nutrients and makes you cring then don’t bother”. I feed 3 times a day when I’m bored so this is great news for my 75g
EDIT: the mystery wrasse, how do people feel on that? Like a melinarius?

Pictures for reference.

image.jpg
 
Mystery Wrasse will make a meal out of your inverts (including cleaner shrimp) and can be a bit aggressive towards other wrasses. Shame too as they are a beautiful fish. Melanurus would be a better tankmate overall, just add it last. It will occasionally pick off smaller shrimp, snails, hermits, but that's about it.
 
Heck if I was the size of flasher wrasse in your tank I'd be trying to get out too! :D:p

They're size really does facilitate their success but I have had some fairy wrasses that work just as hard to find a way to commit suicide. LOL

Hah, yes, that’s probably true. I’ve not had particular issues with fairy surfers (my screen tops are pretty escape proof) but I have now had two freak out, incur what i believe to be spinal injuries and have to be euthanized.
 
I agree Lov the Lubbock!
I hadn't seen it before but it's on the short list for sure. I really loved my solar fairy wrasse (lost him in a jump when I forgot to re lid) so the Lubbock seems like the perfect replacement.
 
My wife and I were actually deciding between the Ruby Head and the Blue Star Leopard (My LFS had both in at the time). We went with the Leopard just because it appeared to be much more comfortable around people and had a bit more color. The Ruby Head was pretty but it would turn and hide if people came up to the holding tank (which apparently is common for them), the Leopard on the other hand was curious about people and wanted to be out and about. Turned out to be a wise move as now when all my other fish get spooked and hide, my Leopard is the one who generally goes on about his business and doesn't seem to mind extra people around. It's also the only one who will get close to my hand while I periodically clean my rocks with a toothbrush. He just comes by to see what this funny brush and five fingered worm type creature is. :D

These are really amazing fish. My blue star leopard is what made me fall in love with wrasses and decide that making them the focus of my new tank would be great.

They have unrivaled coloration and personalities.
 
I am seriously interested in the Red Corris wrasse as well now.

They are pretty as juveniles, and a drastic color change makes some of the mature adults gorgeous.

They get huge though (8" to over a foot), and can be destructive... flipping rocks and eating inverts. It may not play nice with your small reef-safe wrasses as an adult either.

Look here: http://fishbase.org/summary/5625
 
Coris Wrasses are cool looking. Saw a little juvie today and it looks like a skinnier designer clown, but as mentioned they get really big and can cause havoc to your inverts, rockwork and other wrasses.
 
They are pretty as juveniles, and a drastic color change makes some of the mature adults gorgeous.

They get huge though (8" to over a foot), and can be destructive... flipping rocks and eating inverts. It may not play nice with your small reef-safe wrasses as an adult either.

Look here: http://fishbase.org/summary/5625

I just saw a gorgeous one in a members tank here and was drawn to it. Doesn't seems like the best option though. I don't want anything that might bully my leopard wrasse.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top