Black Tangs… where are they?

Do you still have your black tang?


  • Total voters
    42
Wait…, abei’s price needs another zero. U must be a 1%ter!!

They look like something I'd catch out of my local pond. Maybe $50 max.

1692997731723.png
 
I love black tangs. Has anybody seen them shine under 10k or daylight? Black Tangs and Black Durgeon triggers look amazing where their skin almost shines a dark blue with bright green lines down their fins.

I also did get a pair of black tangs for free once because they ate all of a dude's coral. If people did not like mine, it was not for the color, but the long nose. The color was amazing, IMO.

If Hawaii ever opens back up for fish you will see black tangs again.
that’s the other thing… they’re not Hawaiian endemic like people assume. They come from Hawaii, Cook, Indonesia, Pitcairn Islands… they’re available from almost everywhere yet still hold such a high (and unneeded) price tag.
 
They look like something I'd catch out of my local pond. Maybe $50 max.

1692997731723.png
Honestly, it’s the muted colour and more assorted colour I like. It’s nicer than most tangs IMO.
 
Just get a Multicolor angel and have them swim upside down.
Another fish I’d take over a black any day! I’d happily have ~28 of them at the cost of a black tang ;)
 
I find them to be quite awe inducing.

It's similar to witnessing a solar eclipse I'd say. When they swim across your tank they can fan out and completely cast their jet black silhouette over a colorful reefscape. It's an amazing fish and it's hard to feel their presence in a picture.

Here are pictures of my old Full blooded Z. Rostratum. I currently have a hybrid black tang.
_DSC4987-2.JPG




_DSC4986-3.JPG




_DSC4921-2.JPG
That looks so cool!

Is your tank running daylights, or is it on the blue side? The tank looks white, but I gotta make sure. Awesome tank.

I didn’t know the fish looks jet black like that.
 
Honestly, it’s the muted colour and more assorted colour I like. It’s nicer than most tangs IMO.

Yeah but 30k??? I have a bunch of these living under my dock, and they look about the same. They take worms out of my hand. And they cost me absolutely nothing!

1692998002854.png
 
that’s the other thing… they’re not Hawaiian endemic like people assume. They come from Hawaii, Cook, Indonesia, Pitcairn Islands… they’re available from almost everywhere yet still hold such a high (and unneeded) price tag.

I only want them from Hawaii but I don't care if they come from Christmas or Cook or wherever. They were high quality from there. Some of the price tag is that they are usually quite large and command half a box which makes them expensive to ship. Small ones were quite expensive to begin with.
 
Yeah but 30k??? I have a bunch of these living under my dock, and they look about the same. They take worms out of my hand. And they cost me absolutely nothing!

1692998002854.png
If I had 30K to spare on a fish I’d have a 17,000G tank Atleast!
 
I only want them from Hawaii but I don't care if they come from Christmas or Cook or wherever. They were high quality from there. Some of the price tag is that they are usually quite large and command half a box which makes them expensive to ship. Small ones were quite expensive to begin with.
Some of the ones I’ve seen have been fairly small if I’m honest, and I’ve seen their prices range from £999 ($1256.28) to £3000 ($3774.30) and the size difference is maybe 1cm if that. So I’d love for that to be explained (and the specimens I’ve seen were all after hawaii was shut)
 
Some of the ones I’ve seen have been fairly small if I’m honest, and I’ve seen their prices range from £999 ($1256.28) to £3000 ($3774.30) and the size difference is maybe 1cm if that. So I’d love for that to be explained (and the specimens I’ve seen were all after hawaii was shut)

Holy guacamole. Almost $4,000 for a tang??? Over here in the US of A they're $2,500 maximum.
 
This reminds me the crazy money I spent on a 4” true personifer female. 2 years later - still waiting for it to color up by changing to male.
I spent an insane amount on a Tiger Tail CB… the equivalent of $277. From afar it looks like a regular coral beauty with an even amount of colour.
IMG_6825.jpeg

And only when the light catches him right do the fins show the striping. Oh well, in our eyes its worth it.
 
Also I find it funny how this went from a thread of ‘does anyone actually keep a black tang’ to us just thrashing on them
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top