Black Tangs… where are they?

Do you still have your black tang?


  • Total voters
    42
And only when the light catches him right do the fins show the striping. Oh well, in our eyes its worth it.
....my $50 CB has stripes in his fins in the right lighting. I think yours looks like a 'regular CB' from far away because it is.
 
....my $50 CB has stripes in his fins in the right lighting. I think yours looks like a 'regular CB' from far away because it is.
The tail isn’t solid blue and has a decent orange but that’s the only difference, and can only be seen up close
 
I’ve always thought the black tangs look better under windex lighting and among groups of other fish.

The windex makes them look jet black, which is pretty cool, and you don’t have to see that hideous gray complexion that looks like the black peeled off or is the result of a skin rash.

And they always look a lot cooler alongside others. The contrast makes them neat. Kinda like zoas. One particular zoa might be kinda cool and slightly hideous, but look awesome in a garden contrasting with other zoas.
 
Only 7 votes and one of them is mine. Lol. Sad. Where are the black tang owners?
8 including mine, but still only 1 black has been shown off (3 if we include the stock photo and a photo of one I saw).
 
I only want them from Hawaii but I don't care if they come from Christmas or Cook or wherever. They were high quality from there. Some of the price tag is that they are usually quite large and command half a box which makes them expensive to ship. Small ones were quite expensive to begin with.
USA USA!
 
I feel like a fish can be 2 out these 3 things:

1. Big
2. Mean
3. Ugly

A fish can pick two and still be okay. But a fish that picks all 3 is intolerable. I might tolerate a big, mean purple tang or gem tang because they are pretty. But a big, mean black tang that has hideous grey coloring on their snout and looks like an Aardvark, probably not.
 
I feel like a fish can be 2 out these 3 things:

1. Big
2. Mean
3. Ugly

A fish can pick two and still be okay. But a fish that picks all 3 is intolerable. I might tolerate a big, mean purple tang or gem tang because they are pretty. But a big, mean black tang that has hideous grey coloring on their snout and looks like an Aardvark, probably not.
Domino damsels. I have a bad history with those. Never again.
 
The tail isn’t solid blue and has a decent orange but that’s the only difference, and can only be seen up close
I think the standard coral beauty is a gorgeous fish so not dissing on yours but I wouldn't buy one unless it was WYSIWYG. Too easy to mark up a perfectly ordinary CB then claim the 'lighting is different'.
 
I have a Black and a Gem.

I can understand the “hate” toward a “bland and boring” fish that is “rare.” Must be what it’s like to own any variant of a GT### Mustang…you know, a loud car that never seems to go anywhere very fast, looks just like a standard Mom-car Mustang, yet is quite expensive and “rare.” To each his own.
 
I know a couple of persons with them and I cant justify the cost of them which barely has gone down since their introduction. My GF and daughter thinks their ugly and GF calls them elephant fish LOL
 
Just to remind y'all of the abomination we're talking about...

1692994321107.png
Poor guy. SOMEONE must love him!? Anyone?
 
Even better photo of the abomination;
IMG_6686.jpeg


It’s just black and bland! A gemmatum is nicer (albeit I have my own conflicts with them… I think the only Zebrasoma I like are Purples and the two Sailfins).
I see that sixline planning the black tang's demise. That poor tang is not long for this world...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top