Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

I think all the price gouging started with naming them. What if you pay $1,500 for a polyp or two and it doesn't look the same in your tank? I have had zoanthids significantly change colors under different lighting. I guess I don't really "collect" corals. I don't care what the trade names of them are. My goal is to simply create a nice, realistic looking display in my living room. I can do that with modestly priced corals and fish.
 
I'd like something pink. I never ask names.
Did someone say pink?

20190403_192925.jpg
 
Lol! Did one of the beams cause the loss of the toe?

Thankfully NO!! But I’m still counting out the possibility of losing a finger myself rebuilding my bridge!!
 
Curious why some zoas have a band pattern like these? Did it start as a virus like some flowers?
I dunno, I've read(and believe) that there are only a very few types of zoa and the rest are just color morphs of the few types. So zoas that have the same pattern, but different colors come from the same lineage.

Like these... look at the patterns, not the colors.

20190610_224503.jpg
20190610_224519.jpg


And these

20190610_224735.jpg
20190610_224741.jpg
20190610_224744.jpg


And these

20190610_224802.jpg
20190610_224837.jpg
 
Saw some grand master kraks at the LFS the other week. Over rated and likely over saturated online. Didn't look like a $1500 per polyp zoa to me. Maybe $50. They're pretty, but I have some just as pretty that cost WAY less.

When I first got into the hobby a dozen or so years ago with my own little 8 gal biocube (shameless but true plug for the name sake of this thread) Blue Zoo aquatics use to send me free zoas when I ordered fish. There use to 15-20 heads on those rocks and I often didnt even put them in the tank. Bc I thought ...wow these things are stupid looking. Haha.. anyway now everyone sells all these “frags” and charge way too much. Just sell the darn size that has a better chance to survive and looks the same when we get them home!

And nowwww its just a frag life...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top