Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

I was going to take a pic of my new leather, but I made him mad, and he clouded up my tank. After a bag of carbon and some choice words...I hope to show you tomorrow.
which leather?
 
He is a neon finger leather. I love him, but...
Whatd made him cloud up the tank? ive never had a leather do this... even prior making this a soft dominant tank.
 
Here's a leather question...do all finger leathers go to sleep? That's what we call it. Hippie kid's and now mine both go limp at night. I'm sure it has something to do with light, but I'm not sure exactly how that works.
 
Whatd made him cloud up the tank? ive never had a leather do this... even prior making this a soft dominant tank.
I just got him and I was moving him around. I assume he saw me as a predator. He's the first one I've had do it too. I have read about it with other people's tanks.
 
Here's a leather question...do all finger leathers go to sleep? That's what we call it. Hippie kid's and now mine both go limp at night. I'm sure it has something to do with light, but I'm not sure exactly how that works.
all soft coral do. Lights allows them to produce food through photosynthesis which means polyp extension. Once lights are off, there is no need to have polyps out so they limp out and sometimes shed. Sheding is kinda weird to me. think about it as with humans. humans shed skin to reduce the risk of enzymes degrading desosomes to point of no function. Simply put, shedding for leathers is a way to allow less stress on polyp extension, remove waste and algae of surface.
 
Daughter please do this. Ten minutes later get it done. Ugh rolls eyes mutters and gets it done. The struggle is real folks.

My boys eat like they area on a mission from God and no food will be had for a few days. And that's just breakfest.
IMG_20190127_224831_01.gif


My leathers go all droppy at night. It's there form of sleeping.
 
all soft coral do. Lights allows them to produce food through photosynthesis which means polyp extension. Once lights are off, there is no need to have polyps out so they limp out and sometimes shed. Sheding is kinda weird to me. think about it as with humans. humans shed skin to reduce the risk of enzymes degrading desosomes to point of no function. Simply put, shedding for leathers is a way to allow less stress on polyp extension, remove waste and algae of surface.
I see mine she'd every few months. One goes and shortly another than another so by week's end theyve all sheed.
 
When my Toadstool used to pull in his polyps it was sad looking for sure. Sometimes they would go away for a couple of days and I would be like, “What’s wrong little buddy?” Then they would return and look all ecstatic and wavy. Weird it was the only Leather I have ever owned. Folks say you cannot kill them, but I managed to.

 
I see mine she'd every few months. One goes and shortly another than another so by week's end theyve all sheed.
Matalic green toadstool, very larger finger leather (splitting into four), small finger leather., Green devils hand, a large and small devils hand, small toadstool and a cabbage leather.

That maybe the reason the Monti arnt doing well in my tank.
 
When my Toadstool used to pull in his polyps it was sad looking for sure. Sometimes they would go away for a couple of days and I would be like, “What’s wrong little buddy?” Then they would return and look all ecstatic and wavy. Weird it was the only Leather I have ever owned. Folks say you cannot kill them, but I managed to.
Yeah, i noticed whenever i feed reef roids for the once a month that i do now. The leathers close up for days on in. Meaning they arent producing food for their needs. scares the hell outta me cause my toadstool is gigantic.
 
Yeah, i noticed whenever i feed reef roids for the once a month that i do now. The leathers close up for days on in. Meaning they arent producing food for their needs. scares the hell outta me cause my toadstool is gigantic.
I thought poylp extension was to catch food. Zooxanthella lives in the tissue always producing food. Is this not the case.
 
I thought poylp extension was to catch food. Zooxanthella lives in the tissue always producing food. Is this not the case.
i always thought it was opposite for leathers. Polpys come out to allow for photosynthesis which also doubles to catch any phyto or whatever food touches the skin. or atleast this is what i remember reading and watching. i know that sps polpy extend at night for food i dont think leathers do it
 
Just googled it that's amazing . Neon green leather .
same actually. im looking for a frag of it as we speak... maybe a colony.. :p
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top