Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Great looking pups! Huskies are smart dogs, but are independent. They can lean different behaviors, but often take in the command, stop for moment to contemplate what is in it for them, before complying - or not. :)

Argyle was really hard headed and stubborn as a pup. Also incredibly smart. My living room is sunk, so he figured if he could push the puppy crate over to the edge of the den he could just squeeze thru. At six weeks old...

Something just clicked one day and he's been the best dog since. My dad, who is in his late 50s and has had dogs his entire life, said he was the smartest and most obedient dog he's ever known. We can go to the mailbox without a leash. Will not go into another yard to go see the neighbors if I tell him not to. I pulled the fuel filters off the truck and he sat right beside me the whole time and never wandered off.

He's got a really strong desire to please, and has attached to me. I think that's the trick to him being so obedient. They really are a one person dog, as most terriers are. He doesnt listen near as well for my girlfriend but he still loves cuddling with her on the couch. I think he thinks I'm alpha, then he's beta and the new people are below him....

My best friend and next door neighbor growing up had a husky. Very pretty and smart dogs. He stayed outside in SC heat with no problems. Lived a full healthy life. Dog house, garage and lots of water...
 
Same way we survive - air conditioning. :) They are house dogs. When they are outside, they have lots of shade and water. Don't ever shave them. It screws up their coat - since they have two. The thick coat also insulates them somewhat against the heat. Even on the hottest days, both of ours would go lay out in the sun. :) The softer undercoat is what they shed, about twice a year for ours. Brushing often helps, but you could honestly brush for days and not get all of the hair off of them. A friend in Florida that has three has a special blower to remove a lot of the undercoat. It creates quite the snow storm though. :)

I'm afraid the same will happen with Daisy. Being mostly Chow she has the same double coat. The person that was caring for her (before she could get to take her to the vet for shots and heartworm/flea/tick prevention) made sure she was fed and watered and brought her inside if it was really cold or raining... but didn't do much in the brushing department.
 
Dan this thread moves fast! I see its husky appreciation day..We had one when the girls were small and she was just another daughter, My oldest is still heartbroken.BTW I used the power washer (turned down) to remove the under-coat or garden hose on the hardest stream, she loved it and stood still for it ...I assumed it was a relief to shed the coat.
I can find you something inexpensive and clean next time. There is a place I love to stay. It's very small and owned by cops.
upload_2019-1-17_9-15-39.jpeg
 
@siggy your wit is simply amazing.

@Fin never considered shaving because of the under coat. living in the Midwest had me concerned because of the summer heat.

@siggy @Fin thanks for the power washer or hose idea. We have a furmanater and it does a really good job but still can't get all of it. Shop vac always out to get the hair that shows up in corners.
 
Ya when I seen the tuff's on the hind quarters time to PW and that will also encourage the hair that's quite not ready to shed;) I hated the wifes &it@hing more than brushing
upload_2019-1-17_10-54-11.jpeg
 
Anybody happen to have any scrap 1/2" and 3/4" tubing you want to sell?

The only thing I have is a 5' stick of blue 1" PVC... :(.

I'll be needing some 1/2" tubing here soon myself. And a new light strip...
 
Anybody happen to have any scrap 1/2" and 3/4" tubing you want to sell?
how much you need? I have a 75' python that I have been trimming when I need a chunk...BTW I seen drsF&S had the black stuff 40% I was going to buy some for just such an occasion
 
how much you need? I have a 75' python that I have been trimming when I need a chunk...BTW I seen drsF&S had the black stuff 40% I was going to buy some for just such an occasion

Yo, thanks for the heads up... DRF&S has black vinyl 1/2 and 3/4 tubing on clearance. I just got 50' of 1/2" for $8.50... 70% off. Threw in a brine shrimp hatchery at 20% off to get free shipping, altho the hatchery was more than shipping... ;Hilarious I wanted a hatchery anyway.
 
Yo, thanks for the heads up... DRF&S has black vinyl 1/2 and 3/4 tubing on clearance. I just got 50' of 1/2" for $8.50... 70% off. Threw in a brine shrimp hatchery at 20% off to get free shipping, altho the hatchery was more than shipping... ;Hilarious I wanted a hatchery anyway.
I hope you left us some:p
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top