Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Coffee with spiced rum is a good way to start the day too. :-) I have a few bottles of rum in my collection. The tequila is for later. :-)

14F3ECE1-8840-4F16-8A3F-3B8330710B77.jpeg
 
Coffee with spiced rum is a good way to start the day too. :) I have a few bottles of rum in my collection. The tequila is for later. :)

14F3ECE1-8840-4F16-8A3F-3B8330710B77.jpeg
I don't see any kracken in that collection...
 
Do you guys think I would be happier with an acrylic hinged top?
I do not care for glass or Acrylic tops unless there mesh built into like the Octo or Artfully acrylic types. I like the gas exchange and dislike the condensation.
 
Do you guys think I would be happier with an acrylic hinged top?
Yes, but not needed, especially not in the beginning. I got mine from Artfully Acylic, before I knew about Octo Lids, but really like what I got.
 
I don't see any kracken in that collection...
That’s because there is another shelf. :-). Plus, this is a special bottle I had made by an artist I ran across online. She takes empty Kraken bottles a sculpts a 3D Kraken logo onto the bottle and then paints it. Totally not necessary, but typical of what happens when I am drinking and surfing the net. :-)

17DAFB85-47F6-4447-B173-7F34013C19A9.jpeg


The Kraken is ok, but this is the good stuff. Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva from Venezuela. This stuff is not fir mixed drinks. Very good all by itself, over ice.

A069B34B-E7EA-40AE-97D5-495299EAE11E.jpeg


Also have a rum distillery 15 miles from my house. Bayou Rum, which is also very good. I like Old New Orleans Rum and Gosling’s from Bermuda (where I was born). :-)
 
Coffee with spiced rum is a good way to start the day too. :) I have a few bottles of rum in my collection. The tequila is for later. :)

14F3ECE1-8840-4F16-8A3F-3B8330710B77.jpeg

There are at least two dead livers on that self lol!
 
I have to think about Andrew's safety with using a glass top.

You can use a polycarbonate top instead of glass, it is light strong, and bounces real good, and if you use at least 1/4" it will stay flat on this size tank and it will work with the corner clips. Same stuff they use for bullet proof windows just thicker.
 
You can use a polycarbonate top instead of glass, it is light strong, and bounces real good, and if you use at least 1/4" it will stay flat on this size tank and it will work with the corner clips. Same stuff they use for bullet proof windows just thicker.
Definitely make sure that your top is made from polycarbonate. Plain acrylic will absorb moisture and it will bow over time.
 
Catching up. A couple of thoughts:

Heater: I would not worry about the heater being in the sump. The display will be fine, but throw a glass thermometer in the display to check once in a while, it may run 0.5 to 1 degree cooler than the sump, so you may want to run the heater a degree higher. I would highly recommend an Ink Bird ITC-308 Temperature Controller for $30. That puts all of the wear and tear on the controller, not the heater’s “prone to fail” thermostat.

Cover: I would use a screen cover. Gas exchange is more important than how much evaporates. Also, an enclosed cover can become a real pain with collecting evaporation as well as salt creep.

 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top