Bristle worms from live rock...Good or Bad?

Awesome guys, thanks so much! So if indeed they are bristle worms, it looks like I have nothing to worry about.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
So madness, your saying eventually event there's nothing hey can feast on they will die out?
 
I said it one and I'll say it again...
After much scientific research and study I came to concise and educated opinion concerning bristle worms in the home reef micro-environment. They are icky.
 
I tried every "easy" solution I could find. In the end I took each rock out one by one and ran fresh water through all holes. It took an hour+ but out fell two that were as big around as my thumb! After I finished with the chills they were massacred and their body parts displayed on frag plugs as warnings to any other worms who might feel like showing themselves!

I think their gross too.. Doing what I can to get rid of them
 
I tried every "easy" solution I could find. In the end I took each rock out one by one and ran fresh water through all holes. It took an hour+ but out fell two that were as big around as my thumb! After I finished with the chills they were massacred and their body parts displayed on frag plugs as warnings to any other worms who might feel like showing themselves!

Thats too funny ive never thought of that!
 
I don't care if there good or bad. The people who say there good haven't ever had a hand full of bristles that crap hurts! !!
 
SO many opinions on this. I just know I have a new tank, I'm new to this, n I have a bunch of them in my tank.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I tried every "easy" solution I could find. In the end I took each rock out one by one and ran fresh water through all holes. It took an hour+ but out fell two that were as big around as my thumb! After I finished with the chills they were massacred and their body parts displayed on frag plugs as warnings to any other worms who might feel like showing themselves!

Good idea ill do that as soon as I can
 
But it's called live rock for a reason wouldn't freshwater kinda hurt it in some way?
 
I don't care if there good or bad. The people who say there good haven't ever had a hand full of bristles that crap hurts! !!

I'm probably the biggest proponent of bristle worms, believing that they're probably the most beneficial life forms in our tanks. As careful as I try to be, I've spent many hours plucking bristles out of my hands and fingers. YES, it does hurt!
 
But it's called live rock for a reason wouldn't freshwater kinda hurt it in some way?

Your exactly right, FW will destroy any beneficial bacteria within the rock along with most everything else in/on it.
There are several natural predators of bristle worms. Arrow Crabs being #1. Several fishes are known to dine on them also.
Regardless of how I feel about bristle worms it has been my experience that, without them my tank would Not be as free of algae as it is and has been for 2yrs. BW's can get into places that no other member of our CUC can. Any uneaten foods and dead things will be disposed of properly. Oh and BW's also excavate our rock. By creating their own tunnels.
 
Bristle worms are beneficial, you want them in your tank. You will just reminded they are there every once and a while when you go to grab something and feel the sting of thousands of tiny little barbs stuck in your finger and hand. It isn't that bad, just uncomfortable and kind of itchy. I would not try an eradicate them, and I definitely would not run my live rock under fresh water. If you hate them, get a yellow or hoevens wrasse.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I'm glad I started this thread. Thank you to all who have stayed on topic and answered my question. Def helped.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Fresh water rinse does not kill your bacteria!! Soaking it will!! A rinse is nothing!
 
But one of the ideas thrown out there was to run it through water for 1 hour
 
Whoops my bad your right I read it wrong...so I'm assuming they come out right away with the freshwater
 
Mine came out while I was turning the rock around rinsing. It was gravity and water acted to reduce friction causing them to slide out.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top