BRS acquires Marine Depot? WOW!

Both have good solid customer service - but the competition surely kept it that way
I live in Athens Ga and would order from MD knowing I would receive from ATL warehouse sometimes in 36 hours
suppose the recent tour de warehouse video on YouTube is meant to support the consolidation the golden Valley
so the next step for me is to ensure I go first to Local shop and then find the next up and coming entrepreneur out there to challenge the monopoly
the previous management can be as sincere as they can be at BRS but Bertram is going to exact their investment
don’t suspect any of those investment bankers have a tank in their offices
 
This was a hedge. If not, Bertram needs a new diligence team. Although I'm sure they don't reserve their A players for pet supplies.

The natural move would be a Saltwater aquarium reverse merge with MD (assuming it's still smaller than MD).

SWA gets a lot of the new reefer $, and it's becoming a noob driven hobby. They're better on social media, have been fastest to embrace Amazon, and come across hipper/cooler.

MD would have gap filled SWA distribution/product reach. SWA would Maintain the best market acceleration.

Buying MD is still a solid move for BRS. Will buy them a few yrs before this happens to them.

BRS made a name with their videos, but at this point they create sales for Amazon and SWA with them. Idk anyone that actually buys BRS bc of the videos anymore. They watch and then check Amazon/others.

BRS videos are basically free sales collateral for competitors anymore. Buying MD keeps true threats like SWA too small to matter for now.
 
This was a hedge. If not, Bertram needs a new diligence team. Although I'm sure they don't reserve their A players for pet supplies.

The natural move would be a Saltwater aquarium reverse merge with MD (assuming it's still smaller than MD).

SWA gets a lot of the new reefer $, and it's becoming a noob driven hobby. They're better on social media, have been fastest to embrace Amazon, and come across hipper/cooler.

MD would have gap filled SWA distribution/product reach. SWA would Maintain the best market acceleration.

Buying MD is still a solid move for BRS. Will buy them a few yrs before this happens to them.

BRS made a name with their videos, but at this point they create sales for Amazon and SWA with them. Idk anyone that actually buys BRS bc of the videos anymore. They watch and then check Amazon/others.

BRS videos are basically free sales collateral for competitors anymore. Buying MD keeps true threats like SWA too small to matter for now.
What are your thoughts on a BRS / WWC merge?
 
Don't forget to support our LFS. They have or can order a lot of what these companies have to offer and giving them the business keeps the LFS in business. I get most LFS have maintenance accounts where they get most of their revenue from, however, they are still the number one source for all things saltwater.
 
All my equipment came from BRS I’m in TN and all orders came in 48hrs I even had two t5 bulbs bad that they replaced even tho I ordered them like 45 day before I found out. Price hike is the only thing to look out for but that said I have been very happy with BRS
 
And I am not sure why everyone raves here about saltwateraquarium.com as they seem to be all over the place with their reviews, which mostly I've seen are bad reviews for poor customer service.
 
Less competition is never good for consumers. Personally, I’ve never liked either of their return policies and buy most stuff on Amazon Prime where I get free, no questions asked returns if i’m not happy with something for 30 days. If there is an occasional item not available on Amazon, i’d get it from MD. I’ll have to find a new alternative. Won’t be BRS.
 
I bought my RODI from Marine Depot because they had a deal that so long as you purchased the unit from them, you got 15% off of the replacement filters, etc. for life. It was a nice deal. They also had amazing service when one of the elbows broke. I'll miss them as a vendor. I wonder of @Bulk Reef Supply will honor that program?
I’m in the same situation, 15% is 15%, especially for life.
 
Pretty crazy coming back into the hobby after a ~20 year break and still seeing Premium Aquatics and Marine Depot around. I'm in Indiana and used to buy from Jason @ PA when he was still working out of his house! Like most others, I buy almost all my dry goods at BRS... love the selection/availability and all the videos that demo/explain product. It does suck to see a longstanding business get gobbled up though :(
MD sold out, no one put a gun to their head hehe
 
And I am not sure why everyone raves here about saltwateraquarium.com as they seem to be all over the place with their reviews, which mostly I've seen are bad reviews for poor customer service.

I don't either TBH. But i can appreciate how well they penetrated a market that BRS and MD had sewn up for a decade.

Premium Aquatics
AquaCave
Aquarium Specialty

Have all shrunk as SWA has SWA has arguably grown faster than BRS.
 
It is what it is. Money makes the world go round.
Congrats brs on ur purchase. Lol.
Not everyone likes amazon. If the majority do. Thats what their gonna do.
I like ebay. I do buy from amazon but im not a prime member or anything. Lol.
Optimus prime is my homie.
-d
Right? All touches and feelies.
 
I love BRS, for the moment they are entertaining and informative. Are they going to change? Probably, don't care either way in the long run. Nothing stays the same ever.
I also bought from MD And PA all the way back to the early 2000's, sometimes I buy from Amazon. I'm a consumer *****, I'll always do what works best for me, as will any company in a retail space. If I stop buying from any of them will they miss me? Nope, just like I won't get sad when a retailer sells out to a more successful one. So this, while slightly interesting is just so much noise. Meanwhile I'll keep keepin on and do my reefing regardless of the curly shuffle going on out there. It seems also so many like to hate on success. They rock as the little guy, they suck when they're a super star lol. Adapt...
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top