Butterfly fish in the reef Aquarium

It’s always tough to lose a butterfly but it does happen. Personally I only put fully quarantined fish in my system yet I still have lost a couple for some reason and one was infection.

The copperband is the only butterfly I won’t add unless it’s to a system where it can settle in and get eating solid before additions are added.
 
If I had a large enough tank I’d only be confident trying Heniochus and Hemitaurichthys. It’s the genus Chaetodon and the others that I feel can be a bit iffy when it comes to survivability, though I could be wrong.
 
It’s always tough to lose a butterfly but it does happen. Personally I only put fully quarantined fish in my system yet I still have lost a couple for some reason and one was infection.

The copperband is the only butterfly I won’t add unless it’s to a system where it can settle in and get eating solid before additions are added.
I've actually had no problems with him eating from day one. He just recently decided that Aiptasha look good to him which is fine by me. I have lots of fish that are "known" problematic feeders. I use a "shotgun" approach to feeding and have never had a fish that wouldn't eat. My fish get 9 different foods offered every day. I even have one of the Hawaiian Cleaner fish and he is doing great. He is one of the biggest pigs in the tank. He actually swims into the feeding cup to make sure I poured all the food in.
 
For what its worth, I was easily able to get my Larvatus to take to clam in the halfshell. He ignores all types of frozen foods floating in the water column, but drop a clam in and he will pick at it til every scrap of flesh is in his belly. He LOVES clam. I recently ordered scallop on the halfshell to see if he will eat that too...just adding variety. He had also occasionally taken some bites of LRS fish frenzy, but not consistently. I think my 3" Larvatus probably fed on clam in the Sea and recognized them, otherwise he too may have been a sad starvation story like most. I'm fortunate, hes the most unbelievably enchanting fish I have.. those illuminated golden chevrons are devine.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top