Buying a new skimmer....votes please !!!

my vertex is the quiest thing i have ever heard. and it is a fraking beast! i don't think that dc pump technology is tried and true. i want my skimmer to skim , and skim all the time. my alpha cone 250 has only been running two days and is producing heavy foam head. even after feeding or putting hands in the tank, it does not stop skimming or producing foam. quality is beyond great. pump is super quite.

They skim, 1.5 weeks set to skim very dry:



I wouldn't exactly call it a slouch.
 
Great thread. I'm buying a skimmer this week and have the same thoughts and questions. I'm leaning toward the AquaMaxx EM200 although its out of stock everywhere. I might also like a DC pump skimmer. I have a Speedwave DC10000 as my return pump running at half speed and it is no doubt the quietist pump I have ever used. I'm not sure a Skimmer needs multiple speeds?

It doesn't need multiple speeds. It is nice to have for when you clean the collection cup, just hit the feed button pull the cup off and clean it and stick it back on. You have 2 way to dial your skimmer in with a speed setting, via the pipe and the controller. I'm happy with my RLSS skimmer. I've used other skimmers as well, and this one has skimmed the best out of all of them.
 
I'm leaning towards the RLSS R6-I 6....or the Reef Octopus POV DC1 6"...the Reef Octopus is almost $200 more...what do you'll think ???
 
I'm pretty much sold on the RLSS R6...I've heard really good things about it from multiple sources...if anybody thinks otherwise, please let me know before I make it rain at the LFS :-)
 
In my research so far the RLSS is now in the lead, RI-8 for my 150g med-heavy stocked. Problem is everyone is out of stock!
Even the AquaMaxx EM-200 is out of stock which is my #2 choice and would save me $200.
 
madman...have you looked at the Reef Octopus DC pump driven skimmers..???
 
I have, I'm detoured by price on them and even on the other skimmers I've been looking at based on what I need. I've been researching this for a bout a week now and after everything I've seen (youtube) and read (forums and reviews), then based on what is in stock I purchased a Bubble-Magus CS180 from Salty Supply. retail $499, Salty price $399 on sale for $299. Has the Syncra PSK-1000 and from what I can tell will be very quiet. I should have it by Wednesday and will provide feedback about it once it is installed. My SpeedWave DC-10000 return pump is super quiet so I'll know how loud or quiet this skimmer really is.
 
The RLSS is a good choice. I will admit, I had something go bad on it within a day of running it. The powercord, there was somethin wrong with it, but got it fixed pretty quick, and now its up and running very well.
 
Yes...let us know...I just looked at SaltySupply...they have some good deals right now !!!
 
...okay...I've decided on the RLSS R6...it's rated for 100-150 gallon tank...my total water volume is 125 gallons...people say you should go 50% bigger than water volume with skimmer capacity...is this really necessary?...do you think this skimmer will do the job on my tank??
 
I'd think that the RLSS 6 would be good for the 125g. Only thing to take into consideration is the total water volume including the sump. With the R8 out of stock and the R10 being way to big for my sump I contemplated the R6 but my total water volume is about 190g. The RLSS skimmers appear to do a great job skimming for sure and the DC pump will be quiet.
 
Well if there's any question the pov-dc1 is rated for use up to 200 gallons and salty supply has it cheaper than any other place that I've seen. Cheaper than the r8, I think it has a smaller footprint than the r8 also

-Kevin
 
Last edited:
Just read up a little more on the pov-dc1, says that the 200 gallon rating is for light bio load 160 for medium and 100 for heavy bio load

-Kevin
 
I think the RLSS 6 should be fine with my 125 gallon total volume (probably less if you count the live rock water displacement)...If I go any bigger than that I will run into the same problem I had before...lol...I went wayyyy big and the thing barely fit in my sump...overkill for sure.
 
...just an update...the RLSS R6 has been running for 4 days in my sump...producing skimmate...it's AWESOME...and nearly SILENT !!!...I am astounded by how quiet this thing is...I am seriously thinking of replacing my Sicce return pump for one of the Waveline DC pumps...anyway, I highly recommend RLSS skimmers...simple, uncomplicated and effective.
 
...just an update...the RLSS R6 has been running for 4 days in my sump...producing skimmate...it's AWESOME...and nearly SILENT !!!...I am astounded by how quiet this thing is...I am seriously thinking of replacing my Sicce return pump for one of the Waveline DC pumps...anyway, I highly recommend RLSS skimmers...simple, uncomplicated and effective.

That's what led me to switch out my return for a Diablo, they are super quiet! I would have gone with the waveline except they were out of stock and I was impatient. Glad the skimmer is working out for you.
 
I like the rlss r6-i running in my sump right now is a good skimmer.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top