Calculated my start up cost, questioning my sanity.

My kid only wanted a Betta fish, and I thought a salt tank would be a better investment - laughs on me.. I thought the forums were exaggerating the start up cost if your not shopping on Facebook.

We have a QT with meds up and running for under $250 easy. This thought made me feel insane after doing a spreadsheet and seeing the difference. I’ll easily be over $2k by time our two little clowns pop into a measly 65g display tank & hoping they live.

When I realized just how much, I’m at the point of might as well get it right now rather than upgrade later. Maybe that way I’ll stop researching like it’s a full time job. So let’s just say $3k, so I can get a fancy low maintenance fish litterbox (reefmat). And not to mention wave makers, ato, lights.

When did you realize you should have taken a vacation instead?
Well think about this, you could drop 2 to $3k on lighting alone for your display easy if you really wanted to, and when you are ready to stock you can get a 5 to $10k mushroom, just one mushroom !!!
 
There's no award for the richest person in the cemetery, I say.

If it brings joy to your life and you can afford it, send it!

Follow me, for more financial advice... ;)
I like the way you think, i always say you can’t bring your money to the grave with you
 
Well think about this, you could drop 2 to $3k on lighting alone for your display easy if you really wanted to, and when you are ready to stock you can get a 5 to $10k mushroom, just one mushroom !!!

What a rip off when you can get this for 4500
 
What a rip off when you can get this for 4500
Wow what a good deal maybe I can take out a home improvement loan and get 1.
I can't believe anyone would pay that for a mushroom or any coral.
 
All I can say, my friend is Facebook and OfferUp are your friend, find a reef group near you, and it won’t be that expensive , although kinda lost how much I spent on coral
I’ve tried to calculating it and I’m $650 in with my 20 gallon I think.
Season 4 Episode 6 GIF by The Office
 
After I spent the first $10k on my reef restart I decided to take a vacation to slow down my spending lol. Now I just want to get back home to setup the new lights I ordered before I left!
 
After I spent the first $10k on my reef restart I decided to take a vacation to slow down my spending lol. Now I just want to get back home to setup the new lights I ordered before I left!
Could have spent that vacation on coral
 
my kids asking what’s so funny as I read these.. oh help us lol. I’m already justifying the missed vacation by thinking it’ll make the house more enjoyable - hopefully.
When you get serious about this hobby all vacations will be to a coral collection destination, either a living reef or a LFS to add to the collection. Start saving now! :cool:
 
I use the rule of thirds. When the wife asks how much something cost, I divide it by 3. And in fairness, she didn’t make me agree to tell her the true costs of stuff, she just made me agree to only 1 tank. So I’ve kept my end of the deal
 
This hobby is no different than any other. I liken it to cars. You can drop $3M on a Bugatti or buy a used Hyundai for $5K. Ultimately, both will get you to the grocery store (although I dare you to park the Bugatti next to the cart rack). There is always good, better and best. Personally, the depreciation on aquarium equipment probably exceeds that of cars so I recommend buying used where possible.

As far as livestock goes, get on FB and start finding local hobbyist groups, etc. Lots of people are more than happy to get you going with cheap frags, etc. Getting caught up in name brands can be pricy!
 
id say its more of gambling than a investment
No, not gambling. With gambling at least you have a small chance of coming out ahead.

Reefing is more like shoving cash in a shredder because both have essentially no limit to the cash you can put into them.
 
1). Can you even afford a vacation besides maintaining your tanks?
2). Can you go away & take a vacation worrying your neighbor isn’t over feeding so you come home to a total disaster?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top