Can water be too clean for LPS?

It is, I have only used one other brand salt that is even close to Coral Pro and that's Tropic Marin. However, if I'm not mistaken there is no other salt out there that is naturally dehydrated ocean salt like Red Sea Coral Pro, I could be wrong but that's my understanding of it. A half cup per gallon with vigorous mixing and you're good to go. Just make sure to dry mix the salt really well before you start adding to water. The finer crystals can filter to the bottom of the bucket so you just wanna roll it around on the floor for a few minutes to make sure all the good stuff is evenly mixed.
 
Actually, in my experience. When i started going low nutrient my corals did better with lower Alk as well. There is a threshold issue.
 
Thats true that a lot of people report better health with lower alk when nutrient loads are low. I keep mine at 10.5 with nitrates at .250 ppm and everything seems to do well. I think stability is the main concern and I have to admit I have had better success in large systems (500g plus) with lower alkalinity. Again I think its ratios that really pay off. Low alkalinity impairs the ability of calcium to be utilized even when magnesium is at optimal levels. At least in my experience.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top