Cha-Ching! How much did you spend in 2019?

How much did you spend on the hobby in 2019 including EVERYTHING?

  • $100+

    Votes: 34 3.5%
  • $500+

    Votes: 84 8.6%
  • $1000+

    Votes: 201 20.5%
  • $2500+

    Votes: 233 23.8%
  • $5000+

    Votes: 136 13.9%
  • $7500+

    Votes: 59 6.0%
  • $10,000+

    Votes: 64 6.5%
  • $15,000+

    Votes: 27 2.8%
  • $20,000+

    Votes: 10 1.0%
  • $25,000+

    Votes: 33 3.4%
  • NOT SURE or Pretending not to know..

    Votes: 100 10.2%

  • Total voters
    981
About this much + a bunch more online. See my build first page for a list of everything. It was a full blown new build as of 2019.
1E83BA06-364B-4890-BABB-5D27CD130E1A.jpeg

I am going to Kona all the time ...love that place
 
About this much + a bunch more online. See my build first page for a list of everything. It was a full blown new build as of 2019.
1E83BA06-364B-4890-BABB-5D27CD130E1A.jpeg
That's silly.
You always burn the evidence.
 
I was feeling pretty good until I remembered I decided to go "all in" on lighting and purchased the AP700...that put me in the "let's not and say we did" category :D.

My husband also delighted in reminding me about all the fish my tomini tang made a snack of...3 coral beauties, 1 cherub angel, 1 maroon clown and 1 fairy wrasse. His name has since been changed to Turd Ferguson :rolleyes:
 
In 2 separate coral shows I spent over 4k combined. Not doing the math for the other days.
 
Considering I started build Jan 2019 from scratch, and I've since added to system, and been stocking up with fish/coral etc.....you could guess which one I picked.....don't tell my wife please :(
Umm, that needs to be a happy face not a sad face!
 
Last edited:
Actually, 2019 wasn't too bad for me. I picked $1,000+ because I basically added a new LED to my old system. Umm, I've already spent more than that in 2020!! :eek:

The big question is how much have I spent in 11+ years of reefing, with my original tank, my upgraded tank, three separate mantis tanks, and all of the lights, pumps, heaters, supplies, food, fish, coral, etc. I really don't want to know the answer to that one!! I have no regrets and it's been a great 11+ years, with hopefully many more to come! ;Joyful
 
I never finance anything. I don’t even use a credit card. If I can’t outright buy it I don’t own it .

Ya I’ve spent 5k+ over the year maintaining 3 reef tanks . That’s just maintaining them.

Over all I’ve spent much much more . I’m not counting the original purchase price of everything because I didnt buy them all last year. Even when I did purchase my systems, I never bought on credit.
 
My wife will tell her friends I got over 5k in the tank thinking I will overhear that and correct her and let loose the real number! I am almost too smart for that but if she thinks 5k I will go with that number. If she ever finds out about my "other" checking account I might find myself single again! Or she will clean me out getting her some stuff.
 
I'm not even sure but I know it's way above $25K. My 96" Planet Aquarium Tank build alone has probably been at least $15-20K and it's not even done yet. I better not think about this any more or I might start crying. Thank God for 0% APR credit cards.

P.S. No one tell the student loan people why they're not getting their money as fast as they maybe should.
 
Last edited:
Wayyy too much money! I decided to make the leap recently to convert into an actual business. I registered with the county, IRS and state. I’m able to buy wholesale now, but the initial investment in more tanks, light, stock, etc is quite a lot!!
 
With just BRS alone, close to 3K another 3-4K in SPS, then 2 rimless tanks. It never seems that much until you add it up, ugh.
 
I picked 15k+ Because the total is somewhere between 15 and 20k. Probably pretty close to 20 though.

The wife and I built our hobby shed in the backyard and getting that shed bought and finished out was around 14k. Rest of the money was maintaining/ stocking my 120 fish only. End of 2018 was over 6k with build of the 120g.

Dang, in the last year and a half it’s over 25k!!! At least I don’t have to hide any of that from a significant other. She knows already.
 
Spent around 1500 for everything. Went “cheapest” without sacrificing quality. If tomorrow i wanted to run away and sell my reef tank honestly i could probably recover a good amount pretty quickly.
 
I bought 5 new hydra 64hd so I know spent enough even wholesale they are still expensive.
 
I am going to Kona all the time ...love that place
Yea, I signed up for the VIP membership. Bought as much from them as possible. Got my money back and was still able to pay for a G4 Ecotech Radion XR30 from my earned credit.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top