Colorado vs Chicago Sunburst Anemone ID

Letterkenny

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 12, 2019
Messages
785
Reaction score
517
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those high end nem experts out there, what do you look for when ID’ing a Colorado vs Chicago?
 
From what I have seen in my tanks marbling will come and go on anemones. I would not pay extra for marbling as it may not have it in 3 months. Or you might get one with out it and it develop marbling. I don’t know what causes them to change.
 
Is that really the only difference? Isn’t the pricing quite substantially different?
The marbled foot are on true colorado’s and linage is very important when buying.
As for pricing I’ve seen Chicago’s priced higher than Colorado’s
 
colorados have very distinct yellow tips. I think its often hard to tell the difference in some pictures but in person its more obvious in my opinion.

And price means nothing. Just cause its expensive doesnt mean its true.
 
So do these look like fine Chicago’s to you then? They have the green going down the tentacle. Also, the coloration can change on these dependent on lighting right?

30A44D19-800E-4112-818E-CD64A9CB2AE9.jpeg
 
So do these look like fine Chicago’s to you then? They have the green going down the tentacle. Also, the coloration can change on these dependent on lighting right?

30A44D19-800E-4112-818E-CD64A9CB2AE9.jpeg
My experience is colors will change depending on lighting and other conditions.
 
So do these look like fine Chicago’s to you then? They have the green going down the tentacle. Also, the coloration can change on these dependent on lighting right?

30A44D19-800E-4112-818E-CD64A9CB2AE9.jpeg this is a Chicago for sure, in general ecotech radio will bring purple out like what u have here in this photo. If u use kessil, you will get pure gold color. Looks to be a 10 inch basket, this is a big nem
this is a Chicago for sure, in general ecotech radio will bring purple out like what u have here in this photo. If u use kessil, you will get pure gold color. Looks to be a 10 inch basket, this is a big nem.
 
So do these look like fine Chicago’s to you then? They have the green going down the tentacle. Also, the coloration can change on these dependent on lighting right?

30A44D19-800E-4112-818E-CD64A9CB2AE9.jpeg
That is 100% Chicago sunburst due to the streaking it’s a great indicator. They will color change through their life and depending on lighting will change as well. A good way to tell if you are being scammed on any sunburst is look at the tips of the tentacles they should never have a red to pink tip. There are scammers out there taking rainbow anemones and getting them to shift yellow then selling them as sunbursts, but the tips always stay red to pink
C1DE7B0B-71DE-4F01-84C8-56EE3B4948B8.jpeg

Here is a perfect example of a rainbow that some would confuse for a sunburst. Just look at the tips
 
Chicagos have green streaks in their tenticles (Main give away) and the foot isnt marble

CSB have marbling foot and no green streaks in their tenticles and Doesnt ix well with any nems
 
That is 100% Chicago sunburst due to the streaking it’s a great indicator. They will color change through their life and depending on lighting will change as well. A good way to tell if you are being scammed on any sunburst is look at the tips of the tentacles they should never have a red to pink tip. There are scammers out there taking rainbow anemones and getting them to shift yellow then selling them as sunbursts, but the tips always stay red to pink
C1DE7B0B-71DE-4F01-84C8-56EE3B4948B8.jpeg

Here is a perfect example of a rainbow that some would confuse for a sunburst. Just look at the tips
I find that pink tips aren't the best indicator of true lineage. The marbled foot of the colorado is pretty distinct though.

Here's a Sang Lee lineage CSB with partial pink tips.
131357899_444704046529941_2119311656498471893_n.png


Here is the same CSB a couple months ago.
120197582_3556970467668238_2615013083811186621_n.jpg


They shift colors pretty easily.
 
I find that pink tips aren't the best indicator of true lineage. The marbled foot of the colorado is pretty distinct though.

Here's a Sang Lee lineage CSB with partial pink tips.
131357899_444704046529941_2119311656498471893_n.png


Here is the same CSB a couple months ago.
120197582_3556970467668238_2615013083811186621_n.jpg


They shift colors pretty easily.
Pink tips is actually an indicator of a rainbow BTA. For CSBs, the very tip of the tentacle has a purple dot.
 
Pink tips is actually an indicator of a rainbow BTA. For CSBs, the very tip of the tentacle has a purple dot.
I can get a better picture of my CSB, but there are definitely pink tips on some of the tentacles. The tips of the mature tentacles are yellow, while the new tips (I'm guessing from the previous cut/split site) are pink/purple. I am very confident on the lineage.
 
FYI - I ended up getting a different nem than this, a CSB from good lineage and the marbled foot. Thing is huge and curious if/when it will split. Do you normally have a second mouth form before a split?
 
I can get a better picture of my CSB, but there are definitely pink tips on some of the tentacles. The tips of the mature tentacles are yellow, while the new tips (I'm guessing from the previous cut/split site) are pink/purple. I am very confident on the lineage.
Ah got it. As long as the mature tips are yellow, then it's fine. They just can't be all pink. In that case it's a rainbow.

If you got it from Sang, then the lineage is legit. :cool:
 
FYI - I ended up getting a different nem than this, a CSB from good lineage and the marbled foot. Thing is huge and curious if/when it will split. Do you normally have a second mouth form before a split?
I've actually never seen mine split. One day I had one, and the next morning I had two.
 
From what I have seen they do not have 2 mouths before splitting. They almost always split at night and hide while doing so.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top