Considering a butterfly for my aiptasia

I think aiptasia X is gonna work! It’s a very thick solution. I completely covered the aiptasia (all pumps were off), and I let it sit/soak for almost 10 minutes! I can’t imagine any babies making it after that.

Next time I’d leave it on for 30 minutes, but I think aiptasia X/kalkwasser is gonna be great!

(This is my initial reaction). Let’s see how it actually works. :D
Aiptasia X Made mine Ten times worse. F Aiptasia Works way better
 
Aiptasia X Made mine Ten times worse. F Aiptasia Works way better
I have a few aiptasia back already after the klein put in work, may give F aiptasia a try. Aiptasia X made it worse also in my case. I Just bought a 6 pack of peppermint shrimp from reef cleaners, going to put them in after lights out and see how it goes. Want to try berghia but its a bit rich for my blood locally ☹️.
 
I have a few aiptasia back already after the klein put in work, may give F aiptasia a try. Aiptasia X made it worse also in my case. I Just bought a 6 pack of peppermint shrimp from reef cleaners, going to put them in after lights out and see how it goes. Want to try berghia but its a bit rich for my blood locally ☹️.
The Problem with Peppermint is they will Eat everything but the weeds and only eat aiptasia if they don't have anything else. Any high Flow Areas will not be touched. Put a Rock in your Sump with 5 Bergia you will have TONS in a couple weeks. This is a tough battle but you can beat it with money and time (just like life)
 
RedSea Aiptasia X made it worse for me. Peppermint shrimp do ok for me. YMMV, as they will eat coral if they’re hungry. I spot feed in the general area in my tank where I think they are and haven’t noticed anything missing coral wise.
 
I use lemon juice with a very small diameter sharp syringe. I go for the mouth but if I miss they don’t feel the sharp syringe and won’t close up. You can’t do the itty bitty ones like this but anything 1/4 inch or bigger will shrivel up. After you stab them all, do a water change and suck all the shriveled aiptasia off the rocks. They come right off after they have been injected. Obviously this won’t get rid of all of them. But you won’t get an outbreak like with kalk or aiptasia X.

CBB I got one recently just for looks willing to do what I had to to keep him alive. He went after food in the shop I purchased from but spit it out immediately. However, he was JUST delivered. He was only in their tanks for an hour or so. They said it was risky, I said all CBB are a roll of the dice. It took him 5 days to eat. I fed 4 times a day a variety of foods. Clams did not work. He eventually ate spirilina mysis. He will go after it pretty aggressively now. He ate almost all the aiptasia in that tank as well!
Super happy social fish. Always comes to the glass and stares at me like a puppy dog.

Peppermint shrimp have worked for me in the past. But they tend to disappear while in progress.
 
We have a 300g mixed reef tank and had a serious aiptasia outbreak after our file fish died. It was nauseating to see all the aiptasia- could hardly stand to look at the tank. We chose to use Berghia and they did an outstanding job. It took several months but they wiped out the aiptasia.

What we found was you HAVE TO buy enough for your tank size. The first go round we didn’t buy enough because the cost is pretty painful. After seeing a little progress we bit the bullet and bought the recommended amount for our tank based on the vendor, Reef Cleaners.

We figured out a way to release them in different areas of the tank. Apparently they did reproduce as described based on what a good job they did.

Good luck! At times it feels like saltwater aquariums are enactments of Biblical plagues - one thing after another!
 
I picked up Aiptasia X.

Based on my luck, the copperband wouldn’t touch the aiptasia. I had terrible luck with buying creatures for a purpose/job. For example, I added 3 pyramid butterflies in the last year because they ”worked” for aiptasia for someone, but they didn’t work for me and the fish got infested with flukes.

If aiptasia X doesn’t work, I’ll just use the needle it came with to inject hydroxide.
One thing with the calcium hydroxide. Don't do too many kills at a time. Too much and it can spike your pH kinda quick.

I get and agree with your caution with the butterfly. They just don't seem to transition very well.

You can consider a Kleins Butterfly. Very hardy and equally brutal on aiptasia IME. One potential downside: I have seen one go after a few anemone before.
 
One thing with the calcium hydroxide. Don't do too many kills at a time. Too much and it can spike your pH kinda quick.

I get and agree with your caution with the butterfly. They just don't seem to transition very well.

You can consider a Kleins Butterfly. Very hardy and equally brutal on aiptasia IME. One potential downside: I have seen one go after a few anemone before.
I tried the klein (blue head), it ate the aiptasia then munched hard on zoas & lps.
 
False falcula (double saddle) butterfly works well, is hardy, and a nice looking fish that eats normal food.
 
Aiptasia X didn’t work. I tried 3 times and the aiptasia doesn’t get killed. In it’s defense, the aiptasia hides in a crevice.

The aiptasia problem is definitely getting worse (not from aiptasia X). I purchased a pyramid butterfly 2 weeks ago, but it died 1 day in QT (It was breathing heavy at the LFS; I was desperate).

I’m on the hunt for a butterfly fish. I’m in no rush, but it’s definitely on my list of things to do.
 
Aiptasia X didn’t work. I tried 3 times and the aiptasia doesn’t get killed. In it’s defense, the aiptasia hides in a crevice.

The aiptasia problem is definitely getting worse (not from aiptasia X). I purchased a pyramid butterfly 2 weeks ago, but it died 1 day in QT (It was breathing heavy at the LFS; I was desperate).

I’m on the hunt for a butterfly fish. I’m in no rush, but it’s definitely on my list of things to do.
Aip X didnt work for me neither. Joes juice 'kinda' did, now the aiptasia is multiplying... I'm considering the hell thats the copperband as I'm at a loss. I am literally out of options outside of the copperband or something after the wrasses are removed from my tanks.
 
I have never had a copperband that didn’t eat aptasia

I have never had a copper that wouldn’t eat clams on the half shell or chopped clam

I have never had a copperband that didn’t pick at LPS (all kinds) all the time

I have had 4 over 13 years in hobby
 
CBB is one of the most beatifull fish color wise and character wise. IME they are easy to keep provided that you can feed them fresh mussles regularly. They eat Aptasia w/o exception but they need to be strong and healthy to start eating them. That may take some time after acclimating them. Also the are not fully reef safe. They destroy Acans and may nibble others. However for me its my favorite guy in mt tank. Watching a CBB eat Aiptasia is very cool
 
I tried injecting boiling water into the aiptasia 2 different times with a 20mL syringe, but the aiptasia didn’t die.

I gave up on it, and now I’m having a moderate outbreak. My tank is large and tall. I need biological control because dosing straight Hydroxide seems dangerous to nearby corals. I never tried that, but I’m highly considering it.

Aiptasia X just makes aiptasia spread faster (that’s what I keep reading).

I am thinking of a Copperband butterfly fish. Does anyone know how to get them to eat/live long term?

I even have an aiptasia beside my clam’s mantle. I gotta get a solution for this pest.
I had one and it decimated aiptasia .

My aiptasia file fish is spoiled already doesn’t touch it !!

I’m ordering two more just in case for future they arise
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top