Considering a butterfly for my aiptasia

Copperbands are a viable control option, but as has been already said - there is no guarantee they will eat aiptasia. Though the odds are likely better than some other controls, like shrimp in my experience. It is tough getting a healthy specimen, and you are understandably gun shy after the DOA. I got mine from LA DIver's Den, and there are some other QT places that sell them for a premium. I would expect them to come in healthy from these places, though not necessarily eating well. What worked for me is to start on live black worms, then transition to frozen blood worms, then to mysis. Takes some work, but now she's a model citizen and 2 years in the tank. It is possible if you start with a healthy specimen and are prepared for about a month of training them on foods - which was easier in my case in a separate QT system from the display with no other competition. They are one of my favorite fish, whether they dependably eat aiptasia or not!
 
Copperbands are a viable control option, but as has been already said - there is no guarantee they will eat aiptasia. Though the odds are likely better than some other controls, like shrimp in my experience. It is tough getting a healthy specimen, and you are understandably gun shy after the DOA. I got mine from LA DIver's Den, and there are some other QT places that sell them for a premium. I would expect them to come in healthy from these places, though not necessarily eating well. What worked for me is to start on live black worms, then transition to frozen blood worms, then to mysis. Takes some work, but now she's a model citizen and 2 years in the tank. It is possible if you start with a healthy specimen and are prepared for about a month of training them on foods - which was easier in my case in a separate QT system from the display with no other competition. They are one of my favorite fish, whether they dependably eat aiptasia or not!
I agree - copperband has been my most effective way of dealing with aptasia! Worth the effort!

IMG_1060.jpeg
 
Just my two cents. If you have the disposable income for them get berghias. 100% effective over 2-3 months depending on how many you buy. The sad part is they die at the end or you catch all and give them away/sell them.
 
Just my two cents. If you have the disposable income for them get berghias. 100% effective over 2-3 months depending on how many you buy. The sad part is they die at the end or you catch all and give them away/sell them.
Agree - berghias can work depending on your other fish in the tank. Many wrasses will eat them pretty quick though...
 
Agree - berghias can work depending on your other fish in the tank. Many wrasses will eat them pretty quick though...
I have 4 wrasses mostly flasher. Berghias are strictly nocturnal and you will never see them during the day. I added them all at night and had no issues.
 
I have 4 wrasses mostly flasher. Berghias are strictly nocturnal and you will never see them during the day. I added them all at night and had no issues.
I have Melanarus and Coris wrasses - and I would expect them to be much better at hunting/seeing nudies in the rockwork than we are, LOL. Seems like an expensive snack! But if you've had good success with them, than that's awesome.
 
I did get a Copperband on friday. It was in a friends tank for 1 year now and eats brine shrimp like a pig!
Ive never seen a copperband eating this fast and hunting the stuff.

Well, so far he only did eat all feather dusters but did not touch the aiptasia :(
any hope for me?
 
You might try getting the Copperband on mysis, brine shrimp usually are not as nutritious unless fortified prior. It'll take her nibbling and trying different things to identify the aiptasia as a food source - give it time - and cross your fingers : )
 
You might try getting the Copperband on mysis, brine shrimp usually are not as nutritious unless fortified prior. It'll take her nibbling and trying different things to identify the aiptasia as a food source - give it time - and cross your fingers : )
yeah..
well my friend said he had no aiptasia in his tank.. im not too sure if he really had none or if its because of the CBB.

Ill give it some time.. maybe he starts eating them..
btw, do they eat bigger apis aswell or only the very little ones?

Well, she eats alot of brine shrimp.. ad I will feed mysis too :)
 
I'm not sure about size limitations of aiptasia for the Copperband. I could imagine a really huge one would be intimidating, LOL : ) But who knows...
 
I just had an aptasia outbreak recently in my 40 gallon tank and added 4 peppermint shrimp last Friday (5/12) and by Sunday all aptasia I've seen are gone. I've heard peppermint shrimp are hit or miss but they worked for me.
 
The problem with the non bio methods is you can’t get every last one so they will keep coming back.
Bio methods can‘t always get every last one either, especially if it’s in the plumbing or deep in the rockwork.
 
For Aptasia- You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small.

1669774874713.png


To add: I ve have heard back from two persons who said their blueheads wiped out every aptasia but then turned on their zoa. Observe this if you get one to assure its not the case. If so , place in sump in the event others would pop up but there may be some in the sump for him to eat also
 
If aiptasia X doesn’t work, I’ll just use the needle it came with to inject hydroxide.

when I use kalkwasser powder I use a syringe with a large diameter needle or tube (not for puncturing skin) and make the kalkwasser into a thick paste that barely flows, and let it drop onto the aiptasia, no need to "inject" them, it's a little bit harder for ones that aren't strait up and down, let gravity help, but then you can suck the kalk out with an air tube or some small tubing. with no water movement and very slow hand movements as to try and not stir up the kalk...idk if that helps you

61e1XKGl4zL.jpg
 
Bio methods can‘t always get every last one either, especially if it’s in the plumbing or deep in the rockwork.

Yes but that’s the point, they don’t need to get every last one. They keep them in control without your elbow grease. And they get a somewhat constant food supply. I have aiptasia everywhere except for DT with a copperband .
 
For me, a combination of Aiptasa X and a Copperband did the trick. I noticed that when I used Aiptasia X, smaller Aiptasia would appear very shortly killing the larger ones. That sucked. After getting the Copperband, I noticed that the it constantly picked at the rock and occasionally ripped something from it but ignored the larger Aiptasia. So, I started ap-sassinating the larger ones with Aiptasia X and it appears that the Copperband took care of the little ones. In short order, I no longer had an Aiptasia issue. Now I don't have any Aiptasia and I have a big, fat, gorgeous Copperband. I have Softies, LPS, and SPS in my tank. So far, about 6 months, he hasn't bothered any of them.
 
I got Lucky on my second one, he is an absolute pig. I feed the BRS Diy food. Bergia worked best to knock it down, Turned down my Pumps at night to give them a chance. If you feed Pellets please don't get a Butterfly.
 
For Aptasia- You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small.

1669774874713.png


To add: I ve have heard back from two persons who said their blueheads wiped out every aptasia but then turned on their zoa. Observe this if you get one to assure its not the case. If so , place in sump in the event others would pop up but there may be some in the sump for him to eat also
I'm one of the two. It ate the aiptasia like a pig, then zoas became fair game. Also devoured a few different varieties of candy canes. Another local reefer is now enjoying the little devil.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top