Copperband generally reef safe?? Calling all copperband owners!!

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2018
Messages
2,347
Reaction score
1,771
Location
MO
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!! One more fish question before I place an order. XD. So I’ve always loved copperband, but I love my corals as well. From what I’ve read, they generally seem reef safe except for tube worms. What about my clam and RBTA? Any long term owners of CBB have experience with these in a reef??
 
Search bar is your friend. There are dozens to hundreds of posts on this exact question. Clams are high on the menu. They have been known to harass splitting bubble tips to death. Acans and zoanthids often are a favorite. I had one that ate a conch. if you value your clam more than you would a copperband I would skip it. With any reef safe with caution fish it can come down to do I want this fish or do I want this coral/invert.
 
Search bar is your friend. There are dozens to hundreds of posts on this exact question. Clams are high on the menu. They have been known to harass splitting bubble tips to death. Acans and zoanthids often are a favorite. I had one that ate a conch. if you value your clam more than you would a copperband I would skip it. With any reef safe with caution fish it can come down to do I want this fish or do I want this coral/invert.


alright, thank you!
 
Mine ate my elegance coral. It also picks on my lobophyllia - that said, I love my CBB more than my corals, so I'm ok with this
Edit: you also need good filtration and preferably a large tank (mine is in a Reefer 250, which is too small IMO), because at least in the first couple months you have to stuff it real well with food, and that'll kick the nutrients, nitrate, phosphate in the water up real high, especially in a small system.
 
Mine ate my elegance coral. It also picks on my lobophyllia - that said, I love my CBB more than my corals, so I'm ok with this
Edit: you also need good filtration and preferably a large tank (mine is in a Reefer 250, which is too small IMO), because at least in the first couple months you have to stuff it real well with food, and that'll kick the nutrients, nitrate, phosphate in the water up real high, especially in a small system.

Thanks for the info! I have a 180 gal 8 foot tank
 
My CBB has only eaten a trumpet coral and nothing else. I do not have clams or nems currently but I would expect them to be lunch along with anything fleshy like acans.

Totally worth it IMO.
 
My CBB has only eaten a trumpet coral and nothing else. I do not have clams or nems currently but I would expect them to be lunch along with anything fleshy like acans.

Totally worth it IMO.

Nice to know. Thanks!!
 
My CBB has been a pretty good reef fish so far.
I say that with hesitation though.
I suddenly lost a small torch, several heads on another a 1 head on another.
I can't prove it is him, but I'm watching.
I've had it for 5-1/2 years.
He took care of the aiptasia problem I had.
From everything I've read on the subject, I wouldn't trust it around clams.
 
Mine ate one of my favorite corals a beautiful trachy I had for years but didn't touch my acans go figure. Has touch anything else.
 
I appreciate all of the replies everyone!! As far as I can tell they are kinda 50/50 on clams. I’m gonna give one a try. Maybe I’ll get lucky :P
 
I'm curious how you get 50/50 on clams?

Littleneck clams are one of the CBBs favorite foods and nobody here has mentioned success with a clam.

Its your call, but dont go into this thinking you have a 50 percent chance of longterm success in keeping g a copper and with a clam
 
I'm curious how you get 50/50 on clams?

Littleneck clams are one of the CBBs favorite foods and nobody here has mentioned success with a clam.

Its your call, but dont go into this thinking you have a 50 percent chance of longterm success in keeping g a copper and with a clam

I’m seeing about 50/50 success from other research I have done. And I completely understand what you mean. I don’t expect it to be a 50% chance of keeping one with a clam. I may end up not getting it, but I’m not sure yet.
 
Notoriously hard to keep alive. Especially small ones. Prepare yourself for a challenge.

Thanks for the heads up! I’m reconsidering this fish right now
 
Get it! Mine was instantly my favorite fish! They are the best
 
No issues with mine, eats anything and everything and very friendly with tankmates !
660g 10.31d.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top