Coral beauty possible velvet

It's been 6 days so far, do you think its worth waiting it out? I'm not sure how long tangs can go without a decent meal.

Most fish can easily go a week or two without food.

Alternatively I may have figured a TTM plan that would work with my schedule if i were to start today and transfer Day 1, 4, 7, 10, 12 & 14.

TTM only works for ich.
 
Most fish can easily go a week or two without food.


Okay well if I am a full 6 days in as of now (Thursday 1900 in the UK) is it a better plan for me to just wait it out until 1900 monday then transfer to a new QT?

TTM only works for ich.

I had read that but figured, perhaps incorrectly that if the coral beauty did have velvet (I suspect now it may have been ich) that the CP would have killed the dinospores as they were released but is there a chance they could pass from the angel to the tang in a CP laced QT?

I know that even if I did TTM I would not be prophylactically treating the tang for velvet but was working on the assumption velvet symptoms would likely present themselves in the post TTM QT period. If that is not a risk worth taking though I will maybe just set the QT up and wait it out for 4 more days with the tang, i'm just paranoid I'm going to come home to a dead fish in that period. It's colours still look good but the lack of eating is stressing me and i'm sure the fish out.

Cheers

Nick
 
Okay well if I am a full 6 days in as of now (Thursday 1900 in the UK) is it a better plan for me to just wait it out until 1900 monday then transfer to a new QT?



I had read that but figured, perhaps incorrectly that if the coral beauty did have velvet (I suspect now it may have been ich) that the CP would have killed the dinospores as they were released but is there a chance they could pass from the angel to the tang in a CP laced QT?

I know that even if I did TTM I would not be prophylactically treating the tang for velvet but was working on the assumption velvet symptoms would likely present themselves in the post TTM QT period. If that is not a risk worth taking though I will maybe just set the QT up and wait it out for 4 more days with the tang, i'm just paranoid I'm going to come home to a dead fish in that period. It's colours still look good but the lack of eating is stressing me and i'm sure the fish out.

Cheers

Nick

I think if your fish have been in CP at therapeutic level for 6 days, chance of them getting re-infected is very low/near zero. If you take them out to a sterile QT now, and move them to another sterile QT 36 hours later, then there shouldn't be any parasite left on the fish.
 
I had read that but figured, perhaps incorrectly that if the coral beauty did have velvet (I suspect now it may have been ich) that the CP would have killed the dinospores as they were released but is there a chance they could pass from the angel to the tang in a CP laced QT?

I understand what you're getting at, but has CP been at full therapeutic for the entire 6 days? If so, any velvet trophonts should have dropped off by now and the presence of CP is shielding the fish from reinfection. This is tight, but you should be able to go ahead and transfer the fish now. Provided you understand they may still be carrying ich trophonts, and you would have to allow 10 days total in CP (or copper) before transferring for that disease.
 
I understand what you're getting at, but has CP been at full therapeutic for the entire 6 days? If so, any velvet trophonts should have dropped off by now and the presence of CP is shielding the fish from reinfection. This is tight, but you should be able to go ahead and transfer the fish now. Provided you understand they may still be carrying ich trophonts, and you would have to allow 10 days total in CP (or copper) before transferring for that disease.
I dosed the QT to around 45mg/g prior to putting the fish in so they have had 6 full days at that dose. I did get the tang to eat a couples of small flakes an hour ago so if i can keep it eating even a small amount I will hold on till the 10 day mark but it's good to know I have the option to move if necessary.

The angel is still flashing occasionally which I'm taking to mean that there may still be some encysted parasites present.

I'll hold off for as long as possible as I need to try and rapidly cycle my second QT anyway, unfortunately I used all my seeded media in the current QT!

Thanks

Nick
 
The angel is still flashing occasionally which I'm taking to mean that there may still be some encysted parasites prese
Possible, but it also happens after the parasites have dropped off and the insertion points irritate the fish, so they continue to "flash" a bit until the feeling of irritation goes away.
 
Hi, sorry me again!

So I understand that from the above velvet dinospores SHOULD all have been released and dealt with by CP at this stage.

I'm just trying to get the Ich life cycle straight in my head in relation to the treatment timelines, have I got this right?:
  • Infected fish carry trophont for 3-7 days - So by now, 7 days in all trophonts should have ceased feeding and become protomont
  • Protomont drops from fish over a period of 2-18 hours and becomes tomont - So after 8 days there should in theory be no trophont/protomont left on the fish - Is the 10 day rule to make absolutely certain that all protomonts have dropped from the fish or is there another reason?
  • Tomont remains on the substrate for 14-72 days before releasing trophonts and therefore continuing the cycle. Hence the 72 day fallow period for the DT
So my tang has had 7 days CP thus far so in theory with no re-infection from any trophonts possible during this time any parasites left on the fish would now be beginning the process of leaving the fish as protomonts over the next day or so and would in theory not be infective again for another 14 days? If I were to now place the tang in a sterile TTM tub for 3 days and the place in a sterile QT for observation would this be sufficient to ensure all protomonts have left the fish or is there a chance of reinfection from some avenue I haven't considered?

I don't want to cut corners and risk transferring anything over to my DT but likewise i'm a bit concerned about the tang, if it weren't for that then I would gladly do 30 days CP no questions, and will do with my coral beauty and dottyback who are still eating in the CP.

Thanks and apologies for the never-ending questions!
 
Hi, sorry me again!

So I understand that from the above velvet dinospores SHOULD all have been released and dealt with by CP at this stage.

I'm just trying to get the Ich life cycle straight in my head in relation to the treatment timelines, have I got this right?:
  • Infected fish carry trophont for 3-7 days - So by now, 7 days in all trophonts should have ceased feeding and become protomont
  • Protomont drops from fish over a period of 2-18 hours and becomes tomont - So after 8 days there should in theory be no trophont/protomont left on the fish - Is the 10 day rule to make absolutely certain that all protomonts have dropped from the fish or is there another reason?
  • Tomont remains on the substrate for 14-72 days before releasing trophonts and therefore continuing the cycle. Hence the 72 day fallow period for the DT
So my tang has had 7 days CP thus far so in theory with no re-infection from any trophonts possible during this time any parasites left on the fish would now be beginning the process of leaving the fish as protomonts over the next day or so and would in theory not be infective again for another 14 days? If I were to now place the tang in a sterile TTM tub for 3 days and the place in a sterile QT for observation would this be sufficient to ensure all protomonts have left the fish or is there a chance of reinfection from some avenue I haven't considered?

I don't want to cut corners and risk transferring anything over to my DT but likewise i'm a bit concerned about the tang, if it weren't for that then I would gladly do 30 days CP no questions, and will do with my coral beauty and dottyback who are still eating in the CP.

Thanks and apologies for the never-ending questions!
In theory, yes. If I was in your situation, I'd do the same, provided the tang is not doing great in meds. The 3-day transfer afterwards should seal the deal.
 
Tomont remains on the substrate for 14-72 days before releasing trophonts and therefore continuing the cycle. Hence the 72 day fallow period for the DT

If I remember correctly, Tomont stage can be as minimum as 3 days, thus the 3 days TTM
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top