Dan’s JBJ 65 gallon mixed Reef

DANNICO

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 1, 2020
Messages
28
Reaction score
67
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef to Reef! Dan here I posted in the new member section a couple weeks ago and mentioned I would post a thread on my 65 gallon mixed reef. I wanted not only to share about the build, since I don’t see too many posts about the JBJ 65 gallon flat panel, but to also keep progress of the tank as it continues to grow. Hopefully documenting growth as well as any failures.

Heres what I have so far. . .


JBJ RF (Rimless Flat Panel) 65 gallon, Low Iron Glass Display

Maxspect Razor 120watt Full Spectrum LED light with BlueFish Wireless Controller upgrade

Return Pump: Sine Wave Aquastation DC4000, Max. Flow Rate:1056GPH

X2 Jebao PP4 wavemakers. Not high dollar but they work great no complaints.

JBJ ATO with Innovative Marine Aqua Gadget 5 gallon reservoir

Skimmer Tunze Comline DC 9004

Refugium: DIY Acrylic basket, Light Innovative Marine ChaetoMax 9w led light on @8hrs reverse light cycle. I want to add an additional light and upgrade my refugium basket.

Stand, Custom Built by myself: 1x3 stud frame construction with 3/4” plywood.

Weekly 5 gallon water changes, every Monday. Cuz Mondays suck anyways haha.

176E5AA4-6F46-4AE2-9A9C-AE0C90170A35.jpeg 22707CCF-49DC-439C-9091-BC022AEA5FC1.jpeg 56C85F85-4B2C-4A61-9904-CF44A8046104.jpeg 39FCAFF5-D2A2-404B-84BD-58347AE09D52.jpeg 9723B507-C7AB-4A36-B26C-65F110D2E96B.jpeg 5116F144-0CAB-47C0-A182-7F0E8DE60E6F.jpeg 05BACE84-1F83-499D-92BA-11122B15B876.jpeg CCF55986-E5CF-4BE4-B07E-63AA2F13CD07.jpeg 718C3518-B5C1-477B-AAA7-826F17F03F70.jpeg 8D523472-2D19-46C6-AE6A-A30EF8EFF4BA.jpeg 4FAF6332-2260-459A-BC7D-6A5FE3D9A7E2.jpeg 2FE3B420-8D3D-4953-A88D-6DA42F89A185.jpeg 38C5B46D-8F05-44D6-A424-57834395020A.jpeg 48DAA27A-914A-4248-977D-682756130EB3.jpeg
 
Warning: Picture Heavy Post...aka Photo Dump.

Additional info, Tank is progressing well about 4 weeks in. Im doing my best to avoid any cycle as all my live rock, coral and filter media was moved over from my 30 gallon rimless aquarium.


Mixed reef mainly consisting of LPS and Soft Corals and a few SPS corals as well.

LIVESTOCK:

Fish:
Snowflake Clown
Black and White Occ Clown
Royal Gramma
Sixline Wrasse
Flame Fin, Tomini Tang

Inverts:
Mixed Hermits, Red Scarlett
Mixed Snails, Mexican turbo, ceriths, nassarius, tiger conch

Corals:
Green toadstool leather
Green Nepthea leather
Kenya Tree Leather
Japanese Weeping Willow (small frag)
Mushrooms, superman, reds, green hairy mushrooms
Misc. Zoanthids
Green Montipora SPS
Green Birdsnest SPS
Green Pavona encrusting SPS

Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemome, Rock Flower Anemones



FBAA16DD-8210-48F6-A9EC-6C0F42E8A792.jpeg 7A5E45C9-7913-46D8-AA7B-292EF99759A4.jpeg F4709FA7-1ADE-4AFA-A196-0BB202682B35.jpeg 7FFB1C95-2864-4B46-9797-EE742252E2E1.jpeg A8002184-1E5E-4A92-A9BE-7CC32B158FC0.jpeg DE5CB0A4-8BF7-4538-BDE9-AB5477BCA20F.jpeg 72542BD3-FC47-4E7C-B3B5-75F8757908B3.jpeg 68488645-B6C6-4F7C-A72D-93563978B28E.jpeg 117F948D-1C88-4877-847C-22B57E4FF981.jpeg B75E6202-C3F2-4FAB-A594-86DBAD7828EB.jpeg 3E9E16F2-B700-40BF-A838-194783449E47.jpeg EEF9850F-3972-4059-96A3-7EFBEF08B2B1.jpeg E762B351-0056-4F4C-A181-20ED9BADDE25.jpeg C2998075-D5EB-421F-9FAA-4718337CD36C.jpeg 791CC481-358A-4A6F-BE26-C3EEA776783C.jpeg 50B6DD3C-C583-4EA7-A5A2-45BE378726DD.jpeg 3F92BF4E-9680-40BA-B56B-9F396152CFC6.jpeg 514752A1-F192-49BD-803A-247EA0362F6F.jpeg 9FE1DE3E-9AE4-4261-B94B-08C950BA8195.jpeg CA102519-86BC-4288-8506-1635DD8726C0.jpeg 0D385EAD-F2EB-43E1-8804-A0AA3AF9E10D.jpeg 3B7E8066-F656-4C8D-9389-FAD33EA4A223.jpeg DBC6A81F-0BA7-41C1-9A0D-198388DC7F08.jpeg 79FAEC44-B0AC-43E8-8B65-E3E8F2D43361.jpeg 077BD307-EA70-47C8-8799-D2A00E9460C4.jpeg 42436C1F-9522-4BBD-B4D6-5EF1310CE4BA.jpeg 6244F6AE-6C0F-4A53-90E1-F5AB5724BC3C.jpeg 7130147E-04C5-4380-9091-55B24852C2E3.jpeg D0613B07-8BA5-4B04-BEE9-CA963A23CEB1.jpeg BBD1BC85-ECD5-4132-9697-3A096F2A6117.jpeg 0BFF2747-DD80-4A69-AD30-7E53C197A882.jpeg B374CE00-8C79-4EED-AC95-149C9371AC81.jpeg DA042988-E849-4D85-BF15-414AB8EBE5CF.jpeg A02934C9-6562-4888-83D5-2A970CB61865.jpeg 44EE0CAA-C28E-4F61-9549-47157E04B2BE.jpeg 27E59AF9-8BB1-4353-90BE-38B18D077CB8.jpeg 6D8CD510-84FB-431D-9BFD-B4C798A80A90.jpeg D57802F6-3A8E-45C9-BC13-E15F3A76635E.jpeg 9C460FA9-792F-47F0-9CC7-A07E05F68115.jpeg 708BEF5A-537D-442C-B061-46554C47AE5E.jpeg 71883989-0530-4958-BBC6-95A6B6B18F8B.jpeg FEBA933C-1547-4E3A-819A-C175D3598F9D.jpeg 7C93EDF6-C826-4DE2-810E-B605FF8099B6.jpeg 05B6A3EC-63DE-4070-B2C6-807100A49476.jpeg CBD22323-BD15-4378-A7E7-8F94E4E7C228.jpeg 89D299DA-E7FB-4D09-92C8-9E418AB7A41E.jpeg E63B9746-0FC8-42F7-8B51-3D2142DF1574.jpeg 985EB02B-30A4-4542-B9DE-720521ED9F61.jpeg 41E61070-8BF8-4235-9771-56E7FA39E2D5.jpeg BF6EC0FE-0535-4A61-9ED7-1E3F3A9C0452.jpeg E880F3B3-934B-4343-B80F-C96B676077CF.jpeg 8F95ED93-D60A-4E70-83F4-2B3D7BCA7299.jpeg 0FBBBB21-887F-482B-996F-C9A33DC64A27.jpeg 66846BD5-4FE0-435F-940A-62530C09C83E.jpeg 1C008C1D-FEEF-4EC9-909A-CDCC15AB5FCC.jpeg 7F95CBC3-D973-43A7-9144-65C7394C21BB.jpeg 647D0C41-ABD3-4833-9AE6-7E2E39DAED20.jpeg 53F1B043-D514-456F-AD68-54189B2BB133.jpeg DFAD9B33-4FB3-4D2C-A968-AA8E9CB905CB.jpeg 8EB7827C-0312-4BF0-8C4C-3D464B95839A.jpeg
 
WOW! I just ordered my new tank and all the hardware I need for it, and I'm so happy I get to see this. You have some incredible corals and I lingered over each picture as I showed my wife haha. Really sets the goal of having my reef look as good as that!
 
Looks awesome - I’m thinking about a JBJ 65 too. Any advice ?

My advice is to use as much filtration as you can. I upgraded to a single return pump from the two stock pumps. I use the additonal pump to perform water changes.
 
WOW! I just ordered my new tank and all the hardware I need for it, and I'm so happy I get to see this. You have some incredible corals and I lingered over each picture as I showed my wife haha. Really sets the goal of having my reef look as good as that!

Thanks bud, im looking forward to adding more and doing some dosing to increase coral growth. Currently just doing regular water changes.
 
My advice is to use as much filtration as you can. I upgraded to a single return pump from the two stock pumps. I use the additonal pump to perform water changes.
How do you move water through the other side of back chamber that doesn't have a return pump?
 
How do you move water through the other side of back chamber that doesn't have a return pump?

So I attached a pic of my rear sump. I used the JBJ specs sheet JBJ sent me. Dont look at the measurements as they are all off! The JBJ specsheet must have been for a prototype as it didnt even include two compartments one on each side of the pump. From left to right my filtration is as follows.

1. 4” filter sock
2. Refugium with home made DIY basket.
3. Heater column fairly large compartment about three inches wide.
4. Pump compartment in center
5. Currently empty just a sponge on top to capture micro bubbles from the skimmer. Thinking of adding a calcium reactor.
6. Skimmer Compartment
7. 4” filter sock

5B428DE0-01B6-48E6-9466-0E8D6D614B51.jpeg
 
A few pictures after my waterchange yesterday.

9EBA9110-572D-40C5-A4B4-0CC96D49A978.jpeg D7FB87B6-E1F6-4800-9A14-94B79E74D09E.jpeg 52353715-CC5E-4D48-B4CB-B4D00C58B947.jpeg E0885730-9F6E-4E41-8405-EF2B59021826.jpeg 01AA0166-E732-44D5-B9E2-0EDE984EE596.jpeg
 
Im slowly increasing my light intensity. I noticed a very small amount of bright green cyano. Trying to think about how I can increase some more flow in the tank. One option is some random flow generator return nozzles, second option would be adding another wave pump. What do you guys think would be the best option.

C3E4F212-8505-4CB8-A238-D1CF4E73D88A.jpeg CFA46CCF-AB54-46E2-8964-44DAEBBE3280.jpeg 1C778A68-FA39-442A-9186-46CC5817E29E.jpeg
 
I’ve got JBJ65 ... not happy with the 2 return pumps. Do you like the return pump that you have? How did you connect your single pump to the two output ports?
 
I’ve got JBJ65 ... not happy with the 2 return pumps. Do you like the return pump that you have? How did you connect your single pump to the two output ports?

Yeah, i like the return pump, you could go onesize up if you wanted. You just have to make sure it fits the compartment. I used a barbed plastic Y fitting.
 
Thanks for the info! Where do you get a barbed plastic Y fitting?
 
Update on the tank, added an awesome lil spotted hawk fish. He acclimated really well and is eating well also. Hes been in the tank about two weeks now and has been a great addition. No bullying issues with the other fish either. Some added photos for fun! I swapped out a wave pump for the Sinewave SLW-20. Great flow so far and super quiet. Also took some fun photos using yellow lenses for a filter. Happy Reefing everyone!!

6394C313-0B55-4D0D-88E1-130D49DED8B0.jpeg 857B98D3-693E-4880-BA9F-42087D9CFC7D.jpeg DA7F4C95-8DBD-4F8A-9428-039B2CAD6A6B.jpeg 1D2E3B07-CDF7-44C3-87F9-3B3726A073EB.jpeg 9327DD72-C3BC-4FE5-A5D2-C70FBF5052A9.jpeg 6A8C1051-73EB-4BF7-9D3E-B7FCE2078976.jpeg C1224E0D-8AA2-4F78-9E8F-BBB68C49B95A.jpeg 3D78FBDE-979F-4504-81E9-06C57085F599.jpeg 98D8C506-3DAD-4A93-87A3-7BB34066F5F2.jpeg C67B0C0A-1F80-4B4F-93E4-C222E4C926E3.jpeg 847612B4-3C91-401C-85D3-3F3D2C0DCE09.jpeg 24804B2C-171C-4FB1-B086-9CDCB0CCB4B6.jpeg 8A515AED-B2E9-4609-8FF5-BCA71CC2D059.jpeg F4AFC3A6-E036-4821-BA5B-31BB5257F68C.jpeg 46A5AA56-18FB-4196-990B-057DC27A5628.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top