Dan’s JBJ 65 gallon mixed Reef

Not sure yet, keep thinking a small predator tank

there was an awesome tank on the YouTube channel seafriendlyreefer with a mixed reef and some dwarf lion fish. It looks awesome.
 
there was an awesome tank on the YouTube channel seafriendlyreefer with a mixed reef and some dwarf lion fish. It looks awesome.
Awesome JBJ 65!! I am closing on my new home Friday and will setup up my new JBJ 65 and transferring everything over to it. Any Updates/Pics of your tank?
 
Awesome tank. You have any pictures of your ref setup?
 
So I attached a pic of my rear sump. I used the JBJ specs sheet JBJ sent me. Dont look at the measurements as they are all off! The JBJ specsheet must have been for a prototype as it didnt even include two compartments one on each side of the pump. From left to right my filtration is as follows.

1. 4” filter sock
2. Refugium with home made DIY basket.
3. Heater column fairly large compartment about three inches wide.
4. Pump compartment in center
5. Currently empty just a sponge on top to capture micro bubbles from the skimmer. Thinking of adding a calcium reactor.
6. Skimmer Compartment
7. 4” filter sock

5B428DE0-01B6-48E6-9466-0E8D6D614B51.jpeg
Hello, Nice tank! I have a question on your JBJ65 refrugium setup. Im just setting up my JBJ65, cycling it right now but intend to set things up the way you have it with a skimmer on one side and refrugium on the opposite side. Do you have any pictures of your DIY homemade fuge basket? Ive been searching around and haven't found anything out there that would be perfect so I may build something and Id like to avoid mistakes. Id like something with dark acrylic sides that would keep light from spreading to the filter sock and heater sections, but perhaps not needed.

Just curious to learn a little more about what you did, if you are growing chaeto and if you have any regrets or changes that you would make to it to improve.

Also how do you like that TUnze 9004 on the JBJ65 gallon? Ive been leaning towards that as itll fit nicely and seems to get positive reviews once its dialed in but also wasnt sure if it was slightly undersized for medium level bioload. Judging by your pics, it seems to work well.

Appreciate any feedback you can offer.
Thanks!
 
Hello, Nice tank! I have a question on your JBJ65 refrugium setup. Im just setting up my JBJ65, cycling it right now but intend to set things up the way you have it with a skimmer on one side and refrugium on the opposite side. Do you have any pictures of your DIY homemade fuge basket? Ive been searching around and haven't found anything out there that would be perfect so I may build something and Id like to avoid mistakes. Id like something with dark acrylic sides that would keep light from spreading to the filter sock and heater sections, but perhaps not needed.

Just curious to learn a little more about what you did, if you are growing chaeto and if you have any regrets or changes that you would make to it to improve.

Also how do you like that TUnze 9004 on the JBJ65 gallon? Ive been leaning towards that as itll fit nicely and seems to get positive reviews once its dialed in but also wasnt sure if it was slightly undersized for medium level bioload. Judging by your pics, it seems to work well.

Appreciate any feedback you can offer.
Thanks!
I have a jbj65 and can send you pics of my refugium. I have yet to set it up completely but there’s different ways of going about it. Also I was using the 9004 skimmer but recently swamped it out to a better one that drops in. Pm me I can send you pics
 
I have the same tank. Trying to decide if 2x AI Primes will be sufficient. What's your opinion on having 2 Primes only?
 
Appreciate your posts! I used this thread a ton while setting up my JBJ 65. Still using the Tunze 9004? Would you recommend it?
 
So I attached a pic of my rear sump. I used the JBJ specs sheet JBJ sent me. Dont look at the measurements as they are all off! The JBJ specsheet must have been for a prototype as it didnt even include two compartments one on each side of the pump. From left to right my filtration is as follows.

1. 4” filter sock
2. Refugium with home made DIY basket.
3. Heater column fairly large compartment about three inches wide.
4. Pump compartment in center
5. Currently empty just a sponge on top to capture micro bubbles from the skimmer. Thinking of adding a calcium reactor.
6. Skimmer Compartment
7. 4” filter sock

5B428DE0-01B6-48E6-9466-0E8D6D614B51.jpeg
Great diagram! How high it’s the water in the back of your tank?

Also, how did you made the Refugium wit basket?

I really like your setup and the corals you have. Here’s a few pictures of my jbj rf-65, still a work in Progress.
 

Attachments

  • A58CF302-A2F1-487B-A5A1-12E3CB66B13A.jpeg
    A58CF302-A2F1-487B-A5A1-12E3CB66B13A.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 63
I have a jbj65 and can send you pics of my refugium. I have yet to set it up completely but there’s different ways of going about it. Also I was using the 9004 skimmer but recently swamped it out to a better one that drops in. Pm me I can send you pics
Hello, can i get in on these pictures also? id like to set something up help store pods
 
Sorry haven’t posted on here in a loooong time. Here’s some updated photos of the 65 gallon reef. Almost 5 years in I think.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1174.jpeg
    IMG_1174.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 14
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 14
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1173.jpeg
    IMG_1173.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1154.jpeg
    IMG_1154.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 15

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top