Dark wet spot on Powder Blue tang

305rob305

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2016
Messages
44
Reaction score
26
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey people! So my fairly new tang just got a dark wet looking spot on it. It extends all the way to the top yellow part of his body He seems ok and he's swimming around like nothing... I don't see any white ick. What do you guys think?
564f39b12eb6ffb5190d758b9cc27db2.jpg
 
Need some more pics but it looks like he has ick. I see 2 seperate spots. Also what other fish do you have? Is someone bulling him? He's got some rips
 
How recently has it been handled by someone? Are there other fish in the tank?
 
How recently has it been handled by someone? Are there other fish in the tank?
I bought him not too long ago and had him in qt but but I couldn't keep the ammonia down so I had to cut it short and put him in my dt. I once lost a blue tang in a qt because of ammonia so I didn't want to risk his life. I was doing 50% water changes every day and still couldn't hold it down.
Just yesterday I put him in and he's doing great but came from work now and noticed this patch on him.
 
I bought him not too long ago and had him in qt but but I couldn't keep the ammonia down so I had to cut it short and put him in my dt. I once lost a blue tang in a qt because of ammonia so I didn't want to risk his life. I was doing 50% water changes every day and still couldn't hold it down.
Just yesterday I put him in and he's doing great but came from work now and noticed this patch on him.
The spot is probably just a bit of a mild bruise from handling. But you want to keep an eye on it as sometimes bacterial infections kinda look similar initially. How big was your QT ?
 
The spot is probably just a bit of a mild bruise from handling. But you want to keep an eye on it as sometimes bacterial infections kinda look similar initially. How big was your QT ?
Qt is a 10g... He's a small PBT, like 2.5 inch. I don't think it's ick since I've been staring at him and see no scratching or anything crazy. What do you think I should feed him? I got pellets, flakes and brine shrimp. I put some nori and he doesn't even look at it. I have garlic that u can add to the food
 
Even though he is very small, those tangs are poop/pee factories and a 20 qt would be suggested min. for tangs.
Consider some frozen herbivore food and if you can find it some red or purple or brown nori. It's weird how sometimes a tang seems to take to one color or another. Take the nori and wrap it around a rock, secure with a rubber band. Tie a length of fishing line to the rubber band. Easy to lower into the tank and to take it out. Soak the nori in selcon or zoe or zoecon.
Oh and the mark could also be related to the ammonia irritating the skin and then being handled.. Lots of reefers with far more experience than me, often use a 40 breeder tank for tangs, just for the ammonia control you gain with the extra gallons.
 
Even though he is very small, those tangs are poop/pee factories and a 20 qt would be suggested min. for tangs.
Consider some frozen herbivore food and if you can find it some red or purple or brown nori. It's weird how sometimes a tang seems to take to one color or another. Take the nori and wrap it around a rock, secure with a rubber band. Tie a length of fishing line to the rubber band. Easy to lower into the tank and to take it out. Soak the nori in selcon or zoe or zoecon.
Oh and the mark could also be related to the ammonia irritating the skin and then being handled.. Lots of reefers with far more experience than me, often use a 40 breeder tank for tangs, just for the ammonia control you gain with the extra gallons.
Thanks for the info man. I'm going to try all that tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Tks
 
I second @Big G on everything. The dark spot could also be stress or infection presenting itself strangely. Please keep us posted so we can advise!
 
I still think another pic of the right side is needed. I see something in front of the dark area
 
I still think another pic of the right side is needed. I see something in front of the dark area
Ok so the dark patch has turned whitish and has shrunken. I think he was just banged up or something because I don't think it's ick. Also, I did see him nipping at the nori
 
@melypr1985, @Humblefish ... would appreciate it if you fine folks could have a look at this guy.

With the spot having gone from dark to whitish, I'm rather more concerned than previous, and would be thinking about readying a quarantine tank at this point.

~Bruce
 
@melypr1985, @Humblefish ... would appreciate it if you fine folks could have a look at this guy.

With the spot having gone from dark to whitish, I'm rather more concerned than previous, and would be thinking about readying a quarantine tank at this point.

~Bruce
Thing is he's absolutely not scratching himself nor look sick at all and I don't see any dots on him. I only see this one patch and just on one side. He's swimming around and acting normal...?
 
Humble, I have no idea. I'm clueless about the ripped fin. Should I give it the night and if he's the same tomorrow qt him? Prazi or Cupramine or Maracyn Two? I'll check the link now

I would wait until tomorrow, and see how he looks before doing anything. Too soon to tell anything for sure at this point.
 
I would wait until tomorrow, and see how he looks before doing anything. Too soon to tell anything for sure at this point.
Hi Humble, so I took some pics this morning so we can compare from last time. The spot or rather the stain has shrunk big time. Here's the pic if the second day I put him on my dt compared to this morning. BTW, he's pretty much doing fine, swimming fine and constant and he ate some brine shrimp. His fin looks much better as well and not that ripped

What do you think?
c4065ad4b5281676fdfb075a939c3d2e.jpg
33236015e9bdbee5f2a8cfbbc62db8ef.jpg
dd944fae1c5b45d6d3f88af45499b1bd.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top