Diamond goby with what appears to be leaches

Ruby I believe is formalin based
 
Ruby I believe is formalin based

Not at a high enough dose to control leeches - it needs to be 150 ppm and fish can only tolerate that for 45 to 60 minutes.

Jay
 
Thank you for all the valuable words, they did have rally pro at my local fish store. I will try that first, keeping fingers crossed
 
Did you catch it?
No, tried at least 20 times since last night. I labeled my tank after the movie "the fog"

20201106_153615.jpg
 
You could always start pulling the rock out. Would definitely do the trick for catching a fish that doesn’t want to be caught.

jay said earlier rally isnot strong enough. You must get straight formalin and dip the fish
 
Well, I did it. I'll dose for three days then evaluate. Does the green disapate over time or skimming and carbon take it out after treatment?
Dissipates in a couple hours
 
You could always start pulling the rock out. Would definitely do the trick for catching a fish that doesn’t want to be caught.

jay said earlier rally isnot strong enough. You must get straight formalin and dip the fish
Formalin is 37% formaldehyde. General cure stronger but not straight formalin
 
Did you dose your display?
I did this afternoon, the guy at the fish store said that stuff will do a great job. I've had a couple new additions to the tank so it may help with any other secondary infections. I feel good about it. If it doesn't work ill start taking rock out till I catch him.
 
Off topic but isn't there a consensus that formalin baths are a death sentence for fish? I thought I read from humblefish or someone where they never live more than 1-2 years after a formalin bath. If I'm wrong please speak up as this may be my only option for 1 fish I have.
 
Off topic but isn't there a consensus that formalin baths are a death sentence for fish? I thought I read from humblefish or someone where they never live more than 1-2 years after a formalin bath. If I'm wrong please speak up as this may be my only option for 1 fish I have.

I can guarantee you that is untrue, absolutely no basis in fact. Formalin can kill three ways: 1) acute death from toxicity (you see this right after the dip). 2) It can be too effective - causing all the parasites to drop off, and the fish bleeds out. 3) In theory, it is carcinogenic and could cause neoplasia in fish later on, but statistically, one would never see an increase in that.

Jay
 
Just repeating what had been said. Good to know about General cure though!

Hey folks - I'm confused. API's General Cure is a mixture of praziquantel and metronidazole, it has no formalin in it at all. Is there another product by the same name?

Jay
 
Hey folks - I'm confused. API's General Cure is a mixture of praziquantel and metronidazole, it has no formalin in it at all. Is there another product by the same name?

Jay
Quick cure, not general cure. These are other products which contain formaldehyde (e.g. Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus), but because these contain less than 37% formaldehyde their effectiveness is difficult to predict.
 
Update, day number 5 of treatment with ruby reef pro 4 out of the 5 worms are not on him anymore. I hope they died and not looking for a new host. Wish me luck on the last one, I have enough to dose 1 more day
 
Quick cure, not general cure. These are other products which contain formaldehyde (e.g. Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus), but because these contain less than 37% formaldehyde their effectiveness is difficult to predict.
Hello vetteguy, I'm on day 6 of the ruby treatment. Last night I saw one on my purple tang, its off today. My goby has two hanging off the bottom of his fins. Should I continue to dose? The bottle says start with three days and more if it persists.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top