Donate an All in one aquarium for HS Bio class

Something else waiting for me when I came in today.

34adbccdbc317331543efdf586b907c2.jpg


Thanks again @Katrina71. When you mentioned that I would be receiving books I thought to myself what are the chances that I get the books I bought at the beginning of the school year and wouldn’t you know it.

8d95961d72c1b8abc14a30d62879515f.jpg


Actually works out nicely having an extra set because I teach right next door to the marine science teacher who has a couple of tanks in his room and is looking to upgrade to a bigger reef tank (currently has a 16g JBJ AIO and a 10g freshwater). He’ll be able to use those books whenever he needs to.
 
I was actually planning to send you another set of the same if you liked them, so you could loan one out if a student wanted to read more at home!
 
Smart investment for sure. Seriously.
 
@Miamialum620 sorry I didn't have enough in the budget to get you guys a fish saver guard when I got that. I'm working on it though.
 
@AlgaeBarn gave me a great deal on dry rock and they arrived today. I rushed out of class in between periods to pick them up downstairs. I ordered 30 lbs. and requested some smaller pieces so a more intricate design could be created.

2882e49b2b46b318eeedca184d5a2aeb.jpg


This is my first time aquascaping any tank but I did have an idea of what I wanted to final product to look like and I think I got pretty close on my first attempt.

4d061f1cebc5a999da204eacb5da2647.jpg

25f3b9b087d6e797f07c683d18cff8ad.jpg


The structure appears to be pretty stable. I didn’t use any glue or epoxy but continuously pushed down on the pieces as I was going up to see if the structure was sound.

Here’s what I have left over...
166d7a2f3786890e97426dd2d8945c84.jpg
 
Wow that looks more than 30# Nice looking rock, looks a bit precarious without any cement and sooner or later it will topple. Aquaforest has a reasonable tub of mortar. triangle rule;) https://premiumaquatics.com/products/aquaforest-stonefix-1500g.html

I’d be lying if I said I was 100% confident that the structure will hold. So I’ll be using an epoxy or glue when I get back on Monday. One concern is glueing the entire structure and then having to move it to my house for the summer. Maybe I’ll glue sections of it for easy removal when it’s time to transport it.
 
Nice rocks, if I may suggest to remove the topmost rock, it's pretty close to the waterline... I think corals wont have much room to grow there, and will be out if the waterline in no time so may branch out growth to sides and cause lots of shading.
You could add it to the left or right base rock to create a ledge or remove all together. I think in it will look quite nice without it, and open a bit more swimming room at the top. Just my 0.02
db95b9ba88956a4c18e82227dfc43a6d.jpg
 
Please tag me when you start your build thread. I'd like to see what y'all do with your tank.
 
I have a Kessil 160 that I no longer have a use for. I was going sell it but it's yours if you can use it. Just let me know and I'll send it your way:)

Thank you but the biocube has the lights built in so I won’t need it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top