Don't Get Sucked In By All The Hype....

Great write up rev! It def hits the nail on the head, even the most devoted reef head tends to slip a bit in the warmer weather months. Unless you of course live where it's warm all year lol
Its always warm here in the bahamas. ..having a chiller is a must.
 
no kidding around, this is the perfect time for cyano bacteria, always when temperatures start to flactuate so dont wait for the warm weather to set up the chillers, do it now and maintain the temperature steady. my 2 cents.
 
I would like to invest in a cooling system this year. Any recommendations? Thanks
I got my paws on a office water cooler, you know the ones you put the culligan jugs on. i plan to coil 1/4 line in it same stuff you use for RO and then fill the chiller bowl with water and make a lid for it. for controls ill just put a solenoid on the circulation line and use regular aquarium controler to open and close the solenoid. not sure just how much cooling power this will be but hey i got the water cooler free. random DIY idea for everyone
 
Do lots of people not have air conditioning? My inside temp doesn't vary over a degree or so all year round?

I'm in Rev. I'm switching out my old sump for my larger custom sump Thursday.
 
Do lots of people not have air conditioning? My inside temp doesn't vary over a degree or so all year round?

I'm in Rev. I'm switching out my old sump for my larger custom sump Thursday.

I have central air and in the summer with the air set on 68 the tank gets upwards to 82 with my halides on
 
I have central air and in the summer with the air set on 68 the tank gets upwards to 82 with my halides on
Same here. No matter what a chiller is needed unless you have different lights maybe. My chiller is outside and even in winter it still works when the halides are on cause the temp in a house is always the same winter or summer
 
Yep, definitely can understand needing a chiller with MH but that's not a seasonal need for one but a year round one isn't it?
 
Let the warmth come, hopefully someone locally lists a 120!!!
 
I was in the market for a chiller for a long time but finally found that fans solve all of my needs without having to plumb an external chiller. My lighting is MHs and T5s and I have two computer fans in the hood with two long vents on top of the hood and two 12" box fans above the sump. The sump vents up behind the tank to the hood and out through the two long vents on top. I also have the ballasts for the MH, a dolphin amp master return pump, and a large sedra pump for my euro reef skimmer in the sump area so the fans do a great job considering there are a lot of heat producing equipment(not sure why I even need a heater). The computer fans are like $30/piece at radio shack and the box fans were like $10/piece at Walmart so super easy to swap out if needed. *** Important note - I do have a fair amount of evap daily so not a solution for those without a robust ATO system.
 
I have the same chiller still sitting in the box. How did you set yours up? Hooked to. Controller? I guess I'm just curious on how to set it up with heater etc to keep a constant temp.
I don't use a controller to run the chiller. JBJ Artica chillers seem to be very accurate with controlling the temp. One of the return lines to my tank from the sump runs through the chiller.

I do use my controller to run my JBJ titanium heater. I just wish the JBJ came without it's own controller; I don't even use the JBJ controller included with the titanium heater.

It seems to be better if you get a chiller that's rated a little higher than your tank water volume. I'm using the 1/4 hp Artica for my tank/sump that has a total water volume of about 100 gallons after all of the Rock and equipment was installed.


Allen
 
Ive never been in person with a aquarium chiller but have good knowledge of pancake compressor cooling systems and can say you most likely do not want to cycle power to the chiller unit as this will be hard on the compressor and cause early failure.
 
Summertime is when everyone's tank looks not as good as winter from what I've seen. I like this post. Lol so true.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top